Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
JGD Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Almost a year ago, I came across a nice light up Sunoco sign in a local antique shop. It caught my eye because it had a nice older look to it a little different than some of the newer light up ones I've seen around. The owner gave me a price on it which sounded high to me at first (later I realized it was a very fair price). I passed on it that day and bought a few other things, then headed home. From the moment I was 1 mile from the antique shop I started thinking about the sign. I went back a few days later, and the sign had sold. Someone was making payments on it and the owner had it in the back room. I was kicking myself for not buying it!(How many times has this happened to you!?!). I told the owner that if the buyer ever couldn't pay it off to let me know. I went back again a couple weeks later, and the owner told me that the buyer had just made another large payment on it and that it wouldn't be available. I was bummed out, but had to let it go. Well, yesterday I went back (it had been 10 months at this point). When the owner saw me he got a huge smile on his face and directed me to his storage room. He told me that the buyer had to move out of state, and couldn't finish paying off the sign any longer so it was available again. I could not believe it. Easter bunny came a day early this year. Happy hunting

Jon
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
JGD Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Pics:

photo 3 (4).JPG photo 1 (7).JPG

Jon
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great story and an older sign to boot.

buy/sell and collect gas station items,
315 794 8265
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Wow! Very nice! I just got one of these myself about 2 weeks ago. Still needs a little cleaning. Mine (pictured) has a tag but the date surprisingly is not filled out. The tag in the picture I've attached came from a sign that is on ebay right now (140944257003) and appears to be stamped '93. I thought these were later than that bt maybe not.
Does yours have a tag on it from Everbrite and if so is there a date in the manufactures date?

my lighted sunoco.jpg Everbrite tag ebay.jpg
Last edited by SC62; Sun Mar 31 2013 10:13 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
JGD Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
No tag or date on mine. The back is cut plywood. I would guess it to be older than 90's but I'm not sure.

Jon
JGD Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
:

image.jpg

Jon
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
My guess is someone replaced the original back board for some reason. Mine and one other that I've seen , and some on ebay have a board type back but it is coated in what seems like a very thin aluminum. I didn't really look at mine all that close prior to hanging so I can't be more specific than that. See picture, this isn't mine. I stole pic of ebay.
But heck, no one is going to see the back!! That sign looks to be in very good shape!! I'm glad to see after all that time you ended up with it. I hope the original guy got some or all his money back or you just had to pay the final balance. I hope the dealer didn't double dip. But then again... you got a great sign.

back.jpg
Last edited by SC62; Sun Mar 31 2013 01:47 PM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
JGD Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Na, the Dealer is a stand up guy. I mean he let the guy make payments for 10 months only to cancel.

Jon
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I thought you were gonna say that the other person buying the sign turned out to be your wife or girlfriend. smile

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
JGD Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I might be lucky, but I'm not THAT lucky! LOL smile

Jon

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved