Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
What can you put over this rusted up, already mounted, don't want to take it down, don't want over-spray to get on mine or my neighbor's houses(or cars/trucks), rough, rusty, cobbed-up, piece of an Esso pole, that don't even have an Esso sign on it yet??? Is there some kinda "do-all" primer, sealer, paint that will of course make it white in color, but lock out the weather and seal it up so's it won't rust up any more??? Help a brother out...... any products out there, marine/industrial/cosmic or otherwise??? Thanks, Davey Train
http://img68.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture14bm9.jpg http://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture16eg2.jpg

[This message has been edited by BBQ Chicken (edited 02-07-2007).]

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I love this stuff.. Click the link to POR-15 (Paint over rust)????
http://www.por15.com/

Bill
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Yes, buy a cheap wire brush and wire brush the whole thing first to knock off all the loose rust, dirt and crud. Then, wipe down with a moist rag to rid all the sanding dust. Let the pole dry. Then, go to Home Depo and get Rustoleum All purpose primer. Try to get as close of match to the final color as you can. When you are ready to paint, use outdoor Rustoleum paint. It is cheap and will last for years

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Well, that wire brush/wheel was what I was trying to avoid..... got to little time and too much chicken to eat!!! That POR looks like it might be the stinky, but I bet it ain't cheap.... I noticed they didn't have any prices on the website. Looks like it might be good though, take care......

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I use SEM 39304 Rust-Seal I got it at the auto paint store. Use a hand wire brush to knock of all the lose stuff hose it down let dry Apply with paint brush or roller put primer over it and paint. It has worked good for me. Richard

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I have used Rustoleum, Extend, and others but POR-15 is the only long lasting product I have found. A little prep to get some loose stuff off and it will last.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Does this POR-15 come in white, red, different colors ?

A
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
A
None of the good products are going to be cheap. I have used the POR and Rust Encapsulator (available from The Eastwood co) with good results. A buddy of mine likes Rust Bullet ( rustbullet.com), but I haven't tried that one yet.

Ed
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Oh, I saw some prices after reading it further. it only comes in black and silver and a gallon is $125.00 dollars!!!!!! **** !!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF you value your time, Buy the best you can afford. It's better than having to do it over, because cheap paint didn't last.
db

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Try Rust-mort, a lot cheaper than POR-15 and works just as good ! I've used it on the inside of a few pump skins and many other items ! Z

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
For that price, you might as well have it sandblasted and have 10 times the job when your done! If it is easy, it isn't good.

Alan
Custom Decal Printing
www.KILLERDECALS.com
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
I dont know much about the products youre talking about, except Rustoleum. But, Ive done a lot of painting and can confirm what others have said: Preparation is key, and cheap paint isnt worth it.

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've used POR-15 many times and it is well worth the money. I always keep a quart on hand.

Mike

KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M

Bill

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved