Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#415409 Sun May 12 2013 06:18 AM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
This post is about what seem to be rising prices. I am of course a total novice at this and may not even know what I'm talking about. I've only been in this a little over a year. But it seems in just that year the prices have gone haywire in some ways and in some cases. I am a total conservative capitalist to the core and some times you loose fair and square. But last night was very disappointing. I had been watching this piece, 161020828727 all week ready and happily willing to go $300-$350 on it. Which at that I even thought was a little high but a fair price for something i'll have the rest of my days. But no way in hell I'm dropping close to $600 on it. I couldn't believe what this went for!!

I just needed to vent a little. That's what this post is really about!! Thanks for listening!! I'll get over it. I hope!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Uncommon sign, I think the Price paid isn't out of line at all.

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Yah!! I suppose your right!

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
its hard to compete against deep pockets, happens all the time on the bay!

collecting standard oil items
Tim Flannery
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I think all of us understand what you're feeling Steve. At one time we've all been outbid or just totally floored at what something ends up selling for. I've been in this hobby for a few years longer than you, around 6 years, and I will agree with you that prices have really climbed in the last couple years. I think all hobbies experience cycles, and right now our hobby is one of the "hot" ones to be involved in, due to reality shows, etc.
I'm certainly no expert in Sunoco items, but my gut feeling tells me that the particular tin sign you're referencing would be tough to find in the condition of the one sold. While certainly not mint, I would say it was in way above average condition for a tin sign, and if a couple of serious Sunoco collectors wanted it, I don't feel the price is totally out of line. There just isn't a ton of good, older Sunoco items out there from what I've seen, and when something different comes along someone is probably going to pay top dollar for it, which could be the case for this sign IMO.
Just look at it this way, I'm sure within a few days there will be something else in your watch that might take it's place! smile
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Dont worry about it...sometimes its meant to be. You will realize that some of your best finds will cost you the least amount. At the end of the day rememeber there is Always something better out there.

Last edited by 57tbirdkid; Sun May 12 2013 11:18 AM.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It Might have sold for much more IF YOU HAD BID & still not won.

S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
When I first got in the hobby only 13 months ago I almost bought a really nice Sunoco globe. Metal body, all orignal lenses, and it was $500. I was so new to the hobby I just couldn't bring myself to buy it having no idea if it was a good price or not. I was so green. I hadn't even discovered Oldgas yet at the time. Well if that sign is worth $560, then what is that globe worth today? $1100? $1200? And all in just 13 months. I'll tell you I sure wish I had bought that globe now smile Not that I would ever sell it. Like I said, as I sit here today, I believe I'll have these items all my days.
It's funny, my wife asks me, "why did you pick Sunoco, it seems the stuff is so hard to find and so expensive" smile LMAO!! She collects bowls and Christams ornaments. I think of here 200 or so items her biggest dollar item is like $50. Maybe I need to change hobbies! LMAO!!

Steve Coppens
Very often the deep pocket collectors are waiting & watching for items in their interest area that are in mint or "better than usual" condition. I've passed on nice items that I thought were priced too high only to see the next two go for more money. If you are patient, you can run across those items reasonably. But when you are competing with the big dog$, you have to get off the porch and run with them.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree there is always something else out there. I had never see that Sunoco sign before. Just in the past two weeks I have picked up three Sunoco items. So be happy and keep looking. There is plenty to go around.

064.JPG 044.JPG 039 (2).JPG
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Wow that first piece is COOL!!! What exactly is it / what would it have been used for?

Steve Coppens
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: SC62
Wow that first piece is COOL!!! What exactly is it / what would it have been used for?

Appears to be a nicely framed magazine ad.

TOM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Prices have gone up on a lot of stuff. On the other hand, I just scored two great old cans off of ebay for what I took to be a great price, less than half of my high bid. A lot of the time it all depends on who sees it to bid on it. Deal can still be had

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You might see another one of those signs come up for auction again Steve.

eBay 101:
When you see something bring more money then expected,wait.
Someone else out there has one,and will likely want to get that amount too.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Steve, I go along with all the posts on here and just remember it always takes two to run up a price. the next time you may be the only one who wants it bad and the other guys got his eye and money on another item! keep the faith buddy.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved