Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#416468 Thu May 16 2013 10:19 PM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Well, we I sold the last copy of the book I had available. The book is out of print and I don't know of any source of one in new condition. Did see one on Amazon, it was used and the guy wanted $165.00 for it.

I have been asked to write a third edition, not by a publisher, but by an investor. Many questions need to be answered. One of the biggest problens I have is what should be included, should I:

Cover pumps that go beyond the 1965 I have been using?
Cover more items besides pumps (the 1st ed. had many lubsters that were eliminated in the 2nd ed.)?
In the 2nd ed. I included outside sight glasses, should I include things like the sticks that Tim has been workding on?
If you have a picture of a pump that is not in the book would you care to see it in the book for everyone to share?
What would you like to see included or expanded on?
What would you eliminate if anything?

Any comment one way or another would be appreciated.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Jack Sim #416476 Fri May 17 2013 05:20 AM
I think another edition would be a good idea if you are up to it.

Having pumps that go beyond 1965 is a good idea. Another thing to consider is giving the pumps a rarity scale (1-10) and maybe a range of value instead of a hard number.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
Lubesters, variations and options available on pump models, more actual pics instead of drawings, hard back maybe instead of paperback, add pumps that are missing if at all possible. Eliminate pricing. It would be awesome to see a third and final edition!

Notchcad #416488 Fri May 17 2013 06:40 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack, I'll go along with what was said about "Actual Photographs " of some of the less common pumps , Keese, Clear Vision , Crouse , Springfield , St Louis , Brown, etc. Then too, I know Half tones increase the price of book threefold . I was in the graphic arts industry and yes, I have a working knowledge of what happens to a photo when it's made for publication .

Perhaps a couple of shots of some of the really rare or hardly ever seen dispensers might be in order . having it as a Hardback definitely increases the value , but , you have to convince a publisher it's worth the extra money to invest in it .

I never asked the publisher for a re run of a Political science book I did before I let Scott Anderson run off with a lot of material he used in his book, Check the Oil . At that time , the market was too scattered and I too was badgered as to "Values " for a re run . Since I refused , the two publishers simply told me , It wouldn't be a book they could invest in.

Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
eshaver #416495 Fri May 17 2013 07:31 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
My worthless opinion is skip the valuation. It seems like as soon as you publish it, the values will already be outdated. Especially with the current volatility of the market.

If it includes pricing it also seems to "date" a book and can give it a shelf life. It can be viewed as "outdated" after the next person comes along with new pricing. If this truly will be your last edition, leaving pricing off may give it more staying power as new folks come into the hobby.

Looking for any Alabama based globes and advertising such as Coastal, Rebel, Interstate Oil, Foster Oil (supertane), Mutual, Oil Well, etc...
Jack Sim #416496 Fri May 17 2013 07:35 AM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Jack,
Another edition would be awesome!!
If you do end up doing another, how about getting the info that has been posted on here in print regarding visible pump gallon markers identification. Visible pump handle identification, and/or gas nozzle identification would also be great.
Just a couple ideas.

Ryan

prowl1 #416506 Fri May 17 2013 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack I have your second edition gas pump book and it has educated me a lot on pumps and the history of the mfg companies and I want to say you did a wonderful job , I'm sure it would be a lot of work but the brass nozzle identification idea would be great ,and possibly take the pump identification to 1970 , as the stainless pumps are starting to take off it seems now for sure.You can Put me down for a book order if you decide to do another ! And thank you once again for all of your hard work and dedication to this hobby , my son is 8 and loves the gas pump book as well.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
prowl1 #416509 Fri May 17 2013 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
HI Jack - definitely you should do another version, and I have several photos you can use...I think adding Tim's 'sticks' is also a good idea...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #416560 Fri May 17 2013 04:53 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
What is Tim's sticks?

Thanks

blacktee #416561 Fri May 17 2013 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tim's great thread on the different styles of gallon markers for the different Visibles, Doug...

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=385362&page=1

Jack, if you do decide to publish a "3rd Edition", I will be in line to purchase at least 1 copy... Most likely 2... One for the Book Shelf and one for the Baja....

Last edited by Bob Richards; Fri May 17 2013 05:11 PM.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #416563 Fri May 17 2013 05:11 PM
Online Cool
I plan on putting Tim Rohr's research results and pictures in our Gas Pump Image Album soon.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Bob Richards #416567 Fri May 17 2013 05:35 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Jack, I have both of your books and would gladly buy another. I like the idea of covering more of the 60's and 70's pumps as well as a price range, actual pictures and perhapes a scale for grading a pump's condition. Price pretty much gives someone an idea of how rare a pump is. Info on lubsters, oil cabinets and nozzles would be great too. Heck I like the whole idea and would consider it an honor to offer you pictures.

Thanks for all you've done for the hobby!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack,

Your books and this website plus the magazines are what educates the people in this hobby. You have done a service to this hobby that can't be "thanked" enough....I know, buy the new book and that will be thanks enough..LOL. I keep a copy of both editions in 3 locations, my shop, my truck and in my home, so that means if you do a 3rd edition you can put me down for at least 3 plus I have it on Kindle in my phone.

All your suggestions plus the input you are getting would make the best book ever. A 3rd edition should include everything you had in the first two combined, some were left out of the 2nd edition. I really like the idea of a "price range". It helps to have some kind of price listed because you have to start somewhere. More experienced pump people might not pay attention to the price listed but to someone new to the hobby this could prove invaluable.

In closing I would only like to add.........PLEASE do another book!

Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I will help you out for free, if it helps the hobby stay strong, I'll be glad to help out Jack. I like the rarity scale idea as well. There are some necessary changes that need to be addressed such as adding pumps that are not listed (Martin & Schwartz model #100 visible) or a twin Ferro clockface #100T, I could go on and on. Some prices are going up and the Bible needs to change along with that in order to help ALL of us out. Milestones pumps aren't $1200 bucks anymore and neither is a Sharmeter. Again, if you need any help at all with pricing, pictures, or actual printing (I know a good commercial printer here in Ohio where I was a pressman for 18 years) I would be glad to help you out Jack. 330-428-1125 Kind Regards, Goober smile P.S. See you in Des Moines, I'll buy the 1st one.

tbuckles #416589 Fri May 17 2013 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have 3 of each edition. I keep one of ea in my truck & near the PC. With the price of one on Amazon, maybe I should entertain offers! LOL
I vote for no pricing [everyone can add their own w/ little postie notes or pencil in].
10 guys across the country can't accurately est. the Correct value of every pump ID'd, let alone all the extras that might be included in 3rd edition.
Just as soon as a pump is given a rarity of 9-10, w/i a year 3-4 will show-up on ebay for sale @ 2-3X the est book value.

DO IT, I need 3.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved