Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Addressing a few things that have been suggested.

Using actual pictures. Who is going to take 4000 pictures and who is going to tell me where these 4000 actual pumps are? I don't think I have that many years left in my life. Not going to happen. Actually photos do not show the features of a pump like the drawings I used from the original factory literature. When I did get actual pictures they were usually taken in front of the persons whole collection, it was difficult to determine where the pump ended and the Texaco sign started.

Hardback. This will be up to the investor, but I doubt it will happen.

Eliminate pricing. I didn't want to put values in either of the books but the publisher said no values, no books. I already get at least one request per day from museums, pickers, etc. wanting me to tell them the value of something they have, can you imagine how many calls I would get from just the purchasers of the book. Maybe a price range would be better.

Already have invested over $40,000 purchasing gas pump literature that my wife will have a hard time getting rid of, I really don't want to purchase anymore, plus, there doesn't seem to be as much being offered on Ebay anymore. The last few brochures that did appear sold for over $50.00 each, this is too much to pay to add just one picture to the book. Additional pump pictures would have to come from the collectors.

There is one other collector of gas pump literature, I have approached him and suggested we combine our collections in one great book, but he doesn't want to do it. My feeling is, we will never see what he has.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Jack Sim #416596 Fri May 17 2013 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack, You & I both know Cindy won't have a problem w/ Recovering your part of the house after your gone! OR Spending anything you leave! laugh

Dick Bennett #416607 Fri May 17 2013 09:25 PM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
You can always count on DB bringing things back to earth.

Thanks Dick.

Jack

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Dick Bennett #416611 Fri May 17 2013 10:15 PM
Having just purchased one of Jack's last copies, I'm really enjoying having it. Maybe if there can't be actual color pics, there could be some shown in gas company colors as they were when they were first introduced. For instance if texaco (or any gas co.) used alot of a certain pump they could be shown in the colors the company used at the time. I know prices in this hobby change all the time, but they do give an idea in value comparing different pumps, as rare doesn't necessarily mean valueable, desireability probably affects price more than rarity. In any case, DO another book Jack!

tommyboy #416613 Sat May 18 2013 12:34 AM
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Jack wonder how many calls you would get wanting you to rate a pump if you gave a range. Don't think there is a easy answer.
I would rather see a scale system of how rare pump is. That would be hard I'm sure researching companies as to how many they produced etc. I know you state how few have been found on some and that really perks my interest.

As much as I would like you to do another book,at your age I wouldn't. But this may be something that gives you pleasure if so go for it. Otherwise I would buy me a new set of darts and enjoy.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Loyd Pierce #416620 Sat May 18 2013 05:49 AM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Jack,another book would be great.I personally think the previous two are spot on! Any additional info in the next one would just be a great bonus! Thanks for the hard work you have done.It is very much appreciated.Great books!

MARK SMITH #416644 Sat May 18 2013 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A third book would be great and I am sure everyone will be buying at least one. I would put value ranges in and add any pumps not yet in it that you know about with either actual pictures or drawings if you have them. Pumps beyond 1965 I am not sure about as they get kind of plain and they all seem to look similair. As for lubesters I would drop those but sections on different tops, nozzles, gallon markers, ad glass ect would be great.

A lot more work than most of us probably know but if you want to do it would help the hobby and be much appreciated.

Last edited by keithia; Sat May 18 2013 11:34 AM.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
keithia #416653 Sat May 18 2013 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A third book would be great. What ever you do to it, I would buy a couple. If I could make only one change to a possible third book it would be to add more photos. Maybe a couple per page would make me happy. I know it is more work, but I would be willing to share any of my pumps for the book. I would send you some over all shots of them and if you wanted to use any I would move the ones you chose out in front of my garage with the door down so there would be a neutral backround. That should help a little in being able to use the picture.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Bob Richards #416654 Sat May 18 2013 01:04 PM
L
L
Jack
Another book would be great. If you do another book, I have some new pictures of Rush pumps that no one has ever seen and we can add 4 or 5 new model numbers that are not in your last book. I even have pictures of the internal parts of a coin operated Rush stove pipe.
I could do without the pumps after 1965 but like price range and rarity scale. I would add pic's of correct nozzles that go with the pump.
I think having pictures with a lot of detail are a big help when your trying to find a correct part that is missing on a pump.
If you do another book I think it will be about 4 inches thick when you'r finished.

Lynn Senesac

LSac #416659 Sat May 18 2013 01:25 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hey Jack , How aboot a Canadian pump section? Vulcanizer, Clearvision ect. Us Canucks will send you pics if you need them. Thanks for the first 2 ,I've learned alot! Dave

Bullitt1 #416660 Sat May 18 2013 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack, as you have noted before... You write your books for the Hobby and the Hobbyist... They are not directed towards a specific segment of the Hobby, but instead for the Hobby as a whole...

As such, I would like to see a small change, if a 3rd Edition comes to fruition.

My time in the Hobby, is rapidly coming to a conclusion. As the death of Wendell, reminded me...

New blood, is driving the Hobby more and more. As such, because of a rise in prices on the "older more desirable" pumps... More and more of the new Hobbyists are looking at the pumps built in the mid 60s to later 70s... I personally would like to see a small section of a "New" Edition, dedicated to these "New Hobbyists"... Those that are buying the "newer" model of pump, partly because they are more affordable and partly because they were/are the ones they remember from their younger years...

I don't yet have all of the "Life Experiences" that you and some of the other "Crotchety Old Farts" that reside on Oldgas have...(but I'm gaining rapidly... LOL)

But, I know when I started in the Hobby I gravitated to the pumps I remembered; first... And then the "beauty and wonder" of the "older pumps" became apparent... I believe that is still true....

As to a Personal wish list... The longer one is in the Hobby and the more specific their Collecting becomes.... The longer their "wish list" becomes... Or atleast, that is the way it is for me!

Whatever you want to add to a 3rd Edition, I do believe will be fine with most in the Hobby! I know it will be for me!!

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #416675 Sat May 18 2013 05:05 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Jack have you thought about putting out a CD instead of a book. All the suggestions have merit but the book would be large and would probably drive up the cost. A CD would give you more control of what you want to publish. On the down side it would be easy to copy and that would cost you in the long run. Richard

J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Canadian pumps: During the writing of both books I only found original literature on one Canadian made pump. It was easy to leave them out because I didn't have anything on any of them.

CD: First of all, an author does not make much writing the book and the royalities don't amount to much when they are spread out over 5-6 years, the only way an author can make any money is to sell the book.
I was just about the only person to sell the first edition because I was the only person who knew about the book, I made a little money.
When the second book came out a number of collectors purchased quantities and we selling the books for $23.00 instead of the $34.95 (cover price) I was selling them for. I sold very few of them and didn't make much on the 2nd ed.
We would love to put the book on a CD if there was no way it could be copied which I believe would happen.

Jack

Last edited by Jack Sim; Sat May 18 2013 05:47 PM.

Jack Sim #416701 Sat May 18 2013 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think that is a Wise Choice Jack.
There isn't anything made/recorded that can't be copied [even stating in the front of ALL BOOKS "All Rights Reserved etc..........."]. Some think that because they Bought the book/CD, they can do as they please w/ the information [copy/photograph to post on web sites, print copies for friends].

Even Amazon has Ignored "All Rights Reserved etc..........." to post the complete book on their web site. What is to stop Google/Bing/etc. from doing the same?

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Sat May 18 2013 07:00 PM.
Jack Sim #427775 Fri Jul 05 2013 06:58 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Hello Jack,

I greatly appreciate all the work you have put into this hobby and how much of a resource the book is to folks. I bought both copies of the book and would buy the 3rd edition if you decide to do it.

1) I think you should put in Canadian pumps in the book. Like Bowser's 2 different twin visibles and the Clear Vision pumps, etc. (I know it would be a lot of work, but think of the fun you would have touring Canada, lol.)

2) I also agree with folks about adding new pumps to the book.

3) I still think you should keep prices but that needs to be updated as well. I also like the pump rarity rating like others have mentioned.

4) I don't think adding lubsters is a good idea. It would be nice info to have but the book would get bigger and bigger. I think that this should be in another book and with other gas station memorabilia, air meters and trinkets. Also I know that is a lot of extra work.

5) I think you should only use pics if you don't have sales literature. Sales literature may not always be pretty but will save you time and hassle as well as might keep price of book more affordable. Also the problem with pics is that the pump may not be 100% original or may be missing parts. (Cant be helped if you don't have sales literature for the pump, and in that case any pic would be better than none most of the time.)

I hope this helps you out Jack not that my opinion is worth much.

Sincerely,

Easy G. Butler

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved