Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#425668 Wed Jun 26 2013 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I blasted primed and painted this can today for a friend , hand painted the Sinclair letters with DuPont single stage and a foam brush. Anyone have any advice, tips , or any links so I might learn ,tried the search on here but no luck. I found this is a lot harder than it looks Thanks, Travis .

DSCN0521.JPG

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IMO it appears you did a good job.. cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks Randy , I just got a tip that Eastwood makes a nice brush kit just for this. I will try them first. I would like to learn this trade.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I use one shot sign painters paint for embossed letters, It takes practice but you will get better with time. I buy my paint on ebay no one local to me carries it.

Joey

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Joey I had someone else mention that paint to me in the past ,I need to order some of that paint and as you say (start practicing ) as that my help me more than anything and using the right paint . It is hard to control automotive paint even with a small brush .Thank you. Travis.

Last edited by 47reotravis; Thu Jun 27 2013 02:08 AM.

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
From what I can see that looks very good. I was a sign painter for many years until computers took over.
The paint you want is called one shot.

Cliff

justgassy #425817 Thu Jun 27 2013 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I had to repaint these bad boys. They came out beautiful after i shot it with a clear coat.

Last edited by Watchdog7; Thu Jun 27 2013 02:54 PM.
W
W
When refering to current ebay auctions, please post only the #[s].
Completed auctions it's OK to post a direct link.

Watchdog7 #425905 Thu Jun 27 2013 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you were going for that hand painted look, rather than computer generated, my guess is after you research the right fonts for that era (finding examples on other items) then sketch it out on paper for spacing, etc. That's the time to notice 'oh that S really curves that way' and stuff. Looking at the shapes of the negative spaces (ie the spaces between the letters) can help for accuracy and spacing of the letters. Cut out your own template to wrap around.

Now I never have used the type of paint (unless it also is oil paint) but I would put a really light coat on with the template to keep from getting ooze under it, and then remove the template and put a second coat on by hand after the first is dry. Work from left to right (if you are right handed) steadying your palm against the piece--you can also fashion a mahlstick to steady your hand at a different angle. Take your time, perhaps doing a letter a day. You need a lot of concentration and after a letter or two if you are tired, that's when your hand will shake. I would practice using synthetic small filbert or bright (the shape of the brushes) synthetic sable brushes to fill in or straighten the edges. When I say small, I use #2 or #4 brushes for better control (at least for me the small size works).

That's how I would do it, but I am not a sign painter, but have used lettering on some of my paintings. Perhaps the sign painters on the list will have better suggestions... smile

I think it looks just fine btw.

Last edited by Nicole; Thu Jun 27 2013 07:52 PM. Reason: added brush info

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved