Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#427642 Thu Jul 04 2013 12:45 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
item #330950740594
Interesting reaction pump dog. I never said I reported this sign, which I haven't. I leave these to the Texaco experts to say old or repop. As I have stated in the past I won't report a sign that I am not 100% sure of. BlackTee and others can make that call.

Last edited by ddkinsey; Thu Jul 04 2013 04:07 PM.
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
So here we go again .What is wrong with the sign ? Besides the fact that it looks new .This is exactly like the 15" sign that Redhotrelics had listed .Except for the date ,and the position of the mounting holes.Most people said Redhot's sign was real .Redhot's had no triangle in the A .Redhot's had the black outline going under the large green T .If Redhot's was authentic why is this one not just as authentic ? I am not saying it is real .I just want to know why it is not real.Can you please tell me ,because I sure don't know .Please state if you think it is fake ,and why you think it is fake.You always report ,but give no reason for your report.I will be glad to report it as soon as I know for sure that it is a fake.

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I just went back and looked at this auction .The seller plainly says "AGE UNKNOWN" .So if this is a repop (and I think it is).Why is this auction any different than the one when you listed a reproduction item as "NOS" ? At least this seller is saying that they do not know the age .Do you say one thing ,but act differently ? In your bid to rid Ebay of fakes do you exclude yourself ,and your items ?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Can anybody tell me why I cannot read anything on the last two postings? Just blank screens.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
what's wrong except " looks new, mounting holes, date? How many differences do you need? Maybe a video of the sign being made? Go back and read what BlackTee said about the 15" sign.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Is your reason for being here to attack me and keep the water as muddy as possible. There is no comparison in your statement. Did you even bother to look at the category the Texaco is listed in? Certainly not in the reproduction category. No, it's listed in original signs.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here WE GO AGAIN.
I LIGHTENED my Monitor & can EASILY see the Bright Colors & Shinny Finish.
Since when are we expected to Believe the sellers Description?
IF this seller had stated it was "found in Grand Dads Barn", would you also believe THAT?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
All I ever found in my gran dad barn was chickens and chicken poo. Lets give this barn find stuff a rest and tell the truth. Lets try here is a sign for sale and its not very old. If you do not know the age don't get mad when some one tells you.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well, I'm not an expert, but I believe there were no 15 inch pump plates made and the 15 inch lubester signs had the attachment grommets in different positions. This is a reproduction and someone smarter than me will have to explain if it isn't, and I think we all know the answer.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I have a book called "Gas Station Memorbilia" by BJ Summers and Wayne Priddy .I know you guys probably never heard of BJ Summers ,but almost everyone who is involved in antiques has some of his guides .He clearly shows the 15" Texaco signs with both bolt patterns .I have ordered the book "A Tour with Texaco" but I have not received it yet .I don't know if it shows the 2 different bolt patterns or not .If anyone has a copy please tell me if it shows both patterns . I don't care about this sign in paticular (IMO it looks like a repop).What I want to know is did they ever make the 15" without the red triangle .Did they make it with the black underlining the green T .

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
DD I did not mean you reported to Ebay .I meant that you reported it to the members here .I notice that you never say the if you think the signs are repops or not .You said it was "pesky" ,but you did not say why .Lets just lay our cards on the table .We are both pretty sure that the sign is a repop ,but the seller did not say it was old .I know he (or she) violated Ebay rules by not listing it in the proper category ,but that goes on all the time on Ebay .There is a 15" Texaco sign that says "porcelain" in the heading ,but then says it is a Vinyl overlay in the description .It has been there for months- if not years .It is clearly in the wrong category but no one seems to care .I did report it to Ebay because it just bothered the heck out of me ,but nothing was done.

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
IMO if someone buys this sign thinking it is real they should have their head examined .I wear my fingers out reporting fakes.Ebay is probably sick of my reporting .I just feel like I need to concentrate on the ones who claim their signs are old or vintage .If someones buys a sign when the seller plainly says "age unknown" I figure they should know that they are probably getting a repop .

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
And on the Redhotrelics 15" Texaco .What was the verdict? I am still not sure .I went back to the discussion ,but I could not find what Blacktee said about the sign's authenticity .

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Compare the GREEN of ebay sign & the Known Original in this link [2nd posting BY J.E.Radebaugh #339795];
www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=339795

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Thu Jul 04 2013 10:12 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thank you Dick, that certainly looks obvious to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved