Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's kind of a 'damned if you do', 'damned if you don't' from the organizer's perspective.

I have no idea who the sellers "across the street" were, but they were capitalizing on the organizer's efforts and money spent. As a teacher, I fully understand that you have to nip a situation in the bud, because people will 'take a mile' and also play 'follow the leader', right or wrong. If they want to rent space and have a competing show, then do it that, the fair/ethical, way.

As far as Wayne 'bashing' the show-he has an opinion just like everyone else. He also has a forum in which to express that opinion. If you say in the same issue that Scott seems to disagree with Wayne's opinion, then I call that balanced reporting.

A lot of hobbyist shows (not just gas and oil) seem to be largely a forum in which those from far places converge and buy/sell/trade among themselves, and with the electronic age it seems as if sometimes it is merely a place to exchange items from deals made beforehand. That is fine, well, and good, but I think organizers need to make a greater effort to bring in the general public and even target certain groups (through car clubs, etc.)of folks who are potential buyers. This would seemingly result in more buyers, exposure to folks who might embrace and therefore prolong the life of the hobby, and provide sources of leads to who knows how much unknown petroliana.

My .02.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
My comments in the editorial may have had a bit too much of a personal touch, admittedly I have some disabilities and distance walking is always a problem, but for the most part my comments were not necessarily my own, but rather comments "collected" from several key vendors. The story expresses my concern for the future of the show if folks are not happy. As for me personally, I did not go to set up, had nothing to sell, just needed to pick some stuff up from Scott and thought Columbus would be a convenient place to do so. I got there about 4:00 PM on Thursday and picked up on the discontent that had apparently happened before I got there. And the limitations were placed on people selling from the hotel rooms in which they were properly registered, not from the field. I had a good time on Thursday, stayed nearby overnight and spent Friday morning at the show, simply enjoying the fellowship of collectors. Two facts, though. I did indeed see Dublin city police ticketing a car parked properly in the parking lot on the side of the hotel opposite the show field, and I was specifically directed to park in a lot that I later noticed signs indicating "private parking - tow away" in the industrial lot up over the berm from the south/west end of the show. If others were selling "off lot", I guess I never even saw that situation.
I attended the first Columbus show in 1989, hosted it in 1990 and 1991, and have been attending off and on ever since. With "rumbling" enough that even I heard about it, someone who spent less than five hours on the field, then I simply had concerns about the future of the show. Having hosted shows, I know it is impossible to keep everyone happy, so maybe the folks who brought up concerns were anomalies. I personally hope them many more successful years.

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC

Wayne Henderson

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Since 1994, I have arrived at IG twice on a Monday & there was NO ONE set up or vending either time. There were a few that were exchanging items, but they were pre arranged delivery/swaps/sales. No one is allowed in swap area till Tuesday & cannot unload till given OK.

Rain/wind will dampen sales, but anything less than a TERD-NATOR will not stop the buyers from showing up, only the looky-loos.
I drive 1600+ miles to attend IG & always find something to bring home, even in the MEASURABLE HOT HUMIDITY I endure there!

For almost 30 years I sold @ Pomona Swap Meet/Car Show here in SoCal. The Buyers are there Rain or Shine,even when it reached 110°+ & they are Buying not just looking. Some of my best days were in the rain.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I fully understand about disabilities and distance walking is always a problem for some of us Old farts. I bring my own 3 wheel scooter, but at IG in Holiday Inn's main lobby there is a vendor that Rents electric 3-4 wheel scooters. IF it wasn't for the Airports Long term parking [credit card only pay, no attendant] across secondary street, parking would be a Major problem.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dick, I lived in L.A. for 15 years and seldom missed a Pomona Swap Meet and attended many years before, during summers spent there. I even came back a few times since moving for the L.A. Roadsters' show and sold. You are correct-there are tons of serious buyers for almost anything you can imagine. Unfortunately, we have one show a year in Mississippi that deals with advertising and collectibles(vintage).

I guess next year I should plan to attend MO or IG.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
The only way to control what is happening and make everybody happy is to hold a swap meet indoors.

No such thing as an early bird at a indoor meet, and you don't have to worry about the weather.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W/ a setup outside for Smoking Vendors/Buyers.
Even indoors, vendors need to be let in early enough to uncover & that will give them some time for vendor trading/swapping!
They can't make EVERY ONE HAPPY, all at the same time [just like here & between 2 people that share the same space].

[Forget it Larry, everyone knows your NOT Married & live w/ a fur ball.]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I love Columbus show myself! I am glad they made people not set up early. I told her (one of the promoters) that I think she did good. She said she had more people thank her for enforcing the rules than those that complained.

They put on the show, they do the leg work, it's there show and there rules. Just like oldgas... If you don't like the rules go start your own show or forum.

I will be back next year!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved