Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
JGD Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: K W FRITH
always lookin--I don't think you have the whole line copied?

Link worked for me, might be browser issue?

Jon
Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
heres the pic in the link

J
jgoff Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
that is the 1927 and earlier they made two colors of the sign first off all the red and orange smart guy. Second of all no i haven't been told or do i know if this is a repop. I have taken it to a guy g i know in the business and have been told it's the real deal or the best fake he has ever seen, the only person that has said repop are people online that haven't even seen the sign in person, which you can't tell without looking touching and seeing the sign in person it's easy to say things from your couch but to really tell someone would need to see it. I've been trying to figure all the info i can on the sign. The auction I bought told me they would give me back my money if it isn't the real thing. I am just not 100% sure either way. The guy I trust that he thought it was the real deal but he is a coke cola guy more than petroliana. I am going to have his father look at it and his father owened a phillips gas station way back for years.

J
jgoff Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
I am open to peoples comments and people trying to help me figure this sign out, i am green when it comes to this stuff i have only been buying and selling for a couple years. I don't appreciate the rude comments but those are mostly people that are of low character. I just don't see how people can say oh that's a repop just by a picture. there are some marks on the edge of the sign that a guy that know porcelain very well told me that it takes like 50 years to get those spots on the edge of the sign. So that's where i'm at with this, I've been told it's a fake by people i don't know, but not by anyone who has actually seen the sign. I am selling it as what it was sold to me at auction as, until i have someone that know signs well enough and can look at it for me and give me an exact 100% proof that it's not the real deal

J
jgoff Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
friends from India?? what's that have to do with the sign, making it a racial issue, your a real winner i'm sure.

J
jgoff Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
To make a quick sale, one of those pictures is the back it is double sided.

J
jgoff Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
so how do you know this?

J
jgoff Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
Thank you, I am not trying to rip anyone off at all I am an honest person that loves petroliana and coke signs and that's about it. I appreciate input that's not rude and that is helpful.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The India Comment has nothing to do with race. There are boat-loads of fake signs showing up on ebay and other places for sale of fake unmarked signs from India and Argentina. They are the ruining this hobby in my opinion.

Got Socony???

Tom
J
jgoff Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
oh okay, well this isn't your average fake if it is a fake i mean it has all the rite things and looks just as real as can be. I wish i knew someone close to my area that is a professional in this field and could tell me for sure what i have so i can solve this issue

J
jgoff Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
The font is not off it is the exact as all of these i have seen.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jgoff reproduction signs are a major problem, as exemplified by this thread. As witnessed by you in this thread, they evoke all kinds of emotions and responses. Unfortunately, not everyone is diplomatic or tactful on this site.

Most of the individuals that have responded are very knowledgeable and have been following this hobby for many years. As you are beginning to learn or are about to learn; there is no substitute for experience.

The 30 inch round procelain signs are the 2nd most common reproduced signs (12" inch most common). Unfortunately, Auction Houses and e-Bay are the mode of choice used by those pawning off repro's as originals. If you come across a 30" porcelain single sided or double sided sign in mint or near mint condition it is more then likely a reproduction. Some people go to great lengths to make these signs look old such as distressing them (chipping the porcelain and then treating the chipped areas with acid to promote corrosion). The foregoing may help you understand the level of suspicion that your sign has been met by.

None of these posts are personal attacks on you but rather an indication of the frustration and anger that these reproductions instil amongst collectors.

There are some things that only come, once you have put your time in and paid your dues. This is one of those things where a few us can say with some level of confidence that your sign is a reproduction without having to handle it.

You are still fortunate that you can get your money back from the Auction House. My suggestion is that you exercise that right at your earliest convenience.

The question that begs to be asked in my opinion is; why didn't you post some of your past experience in your original post such as you being unsure of it's authenticity and the failed sales on e-Bay. In small communities such as Oldgas.com you only get one chance at credibility and most people who loss it are never able to 100% redeem themselves in the eyes of the majority.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
Jgoff reproduction signs are a major problem, as exemplified by this thread. As witnessed by you in this thread, they evoke all kinds of emotions and responses. Unfortunately, not everyone is diplomatic or tactful on this site.

Most of the individuals that have responded are very knowledgeable and have been following this hobby for many years. As you are beginning to learn or are about to learn; there is no substitute for experience.

The 30 inch round procelain signs are the 2nd most common reproduced signs (12" inch most common). Unfortunately, Auction Houses and e-Bay are the mode of choice used by those pawning off repro's as originals. If you come across a 30" porcelain single sided or double sided sign in mint or near mint condition it is more then likely a reproduction. Some people go to great lengths to make these signs look old such as distressing them (chipping the porcelain and then treating the chipped areas with acid to promote corrosion). The foregoing may help you understand the level of suspicion that your sign has been met by.

None of these posts are personal attacks on you but rather an indication of the frustration and anger that these reproductions instil amongst collectors.

There are some things that only come, once you have put your time in and paid your dues. This is one of those things where a few us can say with some level of confidence that your sign is a reproduction without having to handle it.

You are still fortunate that you can get your money back from the Auction House. My suggestion is that you exercise that right at your earliest convenience.

The question that begs to be asked in my opinion is; why didn't you post some of your past experience in your original post such as you being unsure of it's authenticity and the failed sales on e-Bay. In small communities such as Oldgas.com you only get one chance at credibility and most people who loss it are never able to 100% redeem themselves in the eyes of the majority.

I dont think this could have been said any better.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: jgoff
The font is not off it is the exact as all of these i have seen.

...believe me, it's off - I'm a graphic designer, and I can tell from the photo...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The signs I mentioned in one of my posts were supposedly made in Romania...they are shelved and feel pretty much just like the early porcelain signs...Here's a link to the Sinclair 30 incher repop pictured here on oldgas...

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=237041#comments

Wanted: Husky Cans/Signs, Interesting Pump Plates and NC Road Signage

Website www.petrojoe.com
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved