Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#43515 Mon May 31 2004 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Yesterday, my wife and I decided to walk around a local antique swap meet. We "never" go to this meet, as it's what they call an "extra" show, where they try to cram one more show into a month at a location where they have a monthly antique swap meet. That means that very few buyers even know of this show, so the turn out is light. If the turn out is light, then the dealers don't come to sell. Anyway, I found this milk glass white eagle globe in the last 20 minutes of the show. Here's the photo, and then I'll tell you the good news/bad news

The Good News? I paid $40. yes, it's not a typo. The dealer had been offered $60. earlier, but turned it down. He sold it to me because it was so late in the day. Amazing!

Here is a close up photo. Yes, he has eyes. This is the only Milk Glass Eagle globe I've seen with eyes. You are probably wondering whats the problem? Well, someone mounted him on this wooden base.

He is mounted in a wood base,that has a light fixture attached. Then they filled in around the base with some type of caulking? It's hard like a plaster of paris. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, they also painted the base black, and covered some of the milk glass with paint too.

Here's the little birdie all lit up. I removed the light from under the base, to check out the glass. I thought that maybe they were trying to hide some damage? It doesn't appear to be broken, so I'm trying to figure out if this plaster crud can be removed without damaging the base? What do you guys reccommend?
Oh, a funny comment. When my wife saw me hand the guy two $20.'s she said: "is this where we start running"? ha, ya got to love the little ladies.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#43516 Mon May 31 2004 08:10 AM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Dude, I'll give you $80.00, double your money quick! LOL Great find, Great buy!!!

What if you soaked it in water? If it's plaster of paris, it should soften. If water doesn't work, maybe laquer thinner. Or, sell it to me and I'll worry about it.

Congratulations.

#43517 Mon May 31 2004 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
OH Eagle..I thought you said Beagle..LOL...Excellent west Coast Doc..Very cool. You are lucky my friend..I wish I had your problems..ahh..maybe I will find a white eagle at Freds for 40 bucks...oh probably not...LOL

------------------
Hubba the GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Shoreline WA

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#43518 Mon May 31 2004 08:38 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
If you don't find a white eagle you will see a fat Buck , ha ha ha . Great find Don, now all you need is a Wayne clock mech. I'll check at Fred's 150.00 to 200.00 that should do it.

------------------
Dwaine
www.vintage-logos.com

#43519 Mon May 31 2004 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LOL..me thinks the eagle would eat less Mexican food...hahahaha..and the eagle wouldnt have a Helga stoppin me from bringing it home. A couple days..cant wait.

------------------
Hubba the GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Shoreline WA

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#43520 Tue Jun 01 2004 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Upon closer examination, I think I found a crack in the base area of the eagle. I think that I'll just leave this guy alone, and display it how it is, instead of trying to get the plaster off. I'm afraid that when I got the plaster off, I'd discover a chunk missing, and then what would I do?

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
#43521 Tue Jun 01 2004 06:55 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
don: be very careful; bogie or peter lorre or sidney greenstreet may be lurking, looking for the maltese falcon...

#43522 Tue Jun 01 2004 07:50 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Make a square holder for the wood part, put it on a suare Bowser visible or a square clockface!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved