Next Thread
Print Thread
L
LAWFISH Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
L
Ok gang, I thought I would ask you guys for some ideas. Here is what I have. I now have a 32x30 shop where I build my Mopars, gas pumps, coke machines, ect. I am out of room, mostly because I own too many cars.
i am adding on approx 50x50 to my current shops back wall. The existing shop will be nothing more than a display for three of the best cars, gas pumps, a T.V/stereo/DVD
and of course a keg of beer.

I will have to stripe the floor for a new floor covering for this area, as well as doing the new floor. The new area will take up the shop work area but I want it to be cool too. Cool as in ultimate garage as well as cool as in air conditoned for the summer and heated in the winter. The new area will also have an area to do my painting of gas pumps and an occasional car.

I need some ideas on display for these pumps, signs, pertolina items and more. I am building a new gas island out front of the garage in Dodge and plymouth items to replace the old island.

Anyone want to make suggestions or show some pics of their garages or ideas and how you have displayed these pumps and related items. I also have a nice late 60s juke box called the physdelic money grabber 440, complete with the mini skirts and colors that match my Cudas, charger and and Roadrunners.

I am open to all kids of suggestions before building the new area as well as far as some electrical, air or other needs you can think of.

Inside the house I have a nice 24x24 room that houses a soda fountain style bar, 55 seeburg jukebox, coke machines and more, so I really dont want to just duplicate this, but want it a little different.

any pics are greatly appreciated of displays.

Thanks

Dave

any suggestions are welcome.

------------------

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
deleted

[This message has been edited by bettin (edited 08-22-2005).]

L
LAWFISH Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
L
Ron, yep I wish I had more room where I am now. I live on 2 1/2 acres, so typically room is no problem. However, I wanted this attached to my existing shop with an entry way in between. I have room for that size shop in between the current shop and a cover built for my new Lance camper.

I know its not going to be enough room as I own eleven Mopars alone. However, in the direction that the shop is going, I can fit any more. This will give me alomst 3500 sq feet which will have to work for now. Money is always an issue since I am a cop and dont make much here in Northern Nevada.

I do things like buy cull sidding which has a very small amount of damage from a yard over the years at approx 8$ a sheet as oposed to $30- 35 a piece. I also have all my windows( not that I will need many and have accumulated other items to make it nice. I too was thinking of radiant heat whicvh is really only an issue here for a few months out of the year. However, with $$$ as an issue, I will use the cash for my new 4 post lift and other items.

We are currently buying 170 acres in Idaho that we may be moving to in a few years. If that happens happens, then I will build my new 60x120 or 8x120 metal shop. However, when you get that big, it gets very hard to heat.

At the rear of my current shop I am also putting/ parking my 32 race trailer for the 70 Cuda drag police car I race or will race when its finished. It also takes up space, but since I live on a hillside, I need everything parked out of the way, so neighbors cant see it and complain. Even on 2 1/2 acres the folks who are moving to the country from the city, need something to complain about. I had a county guy out here asking about my 6 cars tucked behind my shop and three gas pumps in front of my shop. To him they are all garbage, to me/us, gems to be completed. Thats what prompted the new shop addition. I told him to leave and come back with a search warrant if he wanted pictures for his file. As a 20 year cop, I would have needed a search warrant for what he was doing. He never came back.

Anyway, sorry for rambling, but I want some globes coming out of spots in the wall, where I will need to make switched mounts for globes, ect. still need some interesting pics or ideas.

This needs to be a place where any kind of hot rod, car, petrolina guy could walk into, have a beer and dream for hours.

Dave

------------------

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don't skimp on the materials or the quality of the workmanship!

If there is an item you can save some money on , its the overhead doors. Buy quality doors, but buy them used. Many overhead door suppliers keep the take offs when they install a new door or replace a panel for warrantee reasons. These doors can be bought for substantually less than a new door, but may need a coat of paint.
Don't just buy a little material here and there. Make a material list and take to the lumber yard (a real lumber yard, not one of the big box stores) and ask the for a BID on the entire package.
If its a frame building go with 2 X 6 walls. Having that extra insulation will pay for that upgrade fairly quickly.
Both gas fired overhead radiant heat and hydronic heat in the floor are good choices. You'd be surprised at how little it costs to install and operate. Many hydronic systems just use a water heater and recirculating pump and don't require a boiler. If you want A/C you'll have to put in a central unit and duct it. That will get expensive. You could use a forced air furnace in conjunction with your A/C and ductwork, but it wouldn't be as energy efficient.
Draw your addition to scale then cut out (to scale) pieces of paper to represent all of the equipment and cars you'd ever expect to have in your shop. That way you can play around with the layout until you find what works best for you. Give alot of thought to what type of work you'll be doing in each area. Consider partitioning off the area where you do body work to keep the rest of the shop clean. Once you've finalized the layout, you'll know where you need to place your electrical outlets, air and water lines.
Don't forget to install big exhaust fans where you'll be doing welding, sanding,and painting.
Put in as big an electrical service as you can.
Ron was right on the money with his suggestions about plumbing, etc. Check your local codes because you might need a seperate septic system for your garage, even if you just have a floor drain!
You might want to consider a seperate pole building with a gravel floor for storage.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
L
LAWFISH Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
L
Yep, I agree. I have done a lot of fact finding in the building aspect. I built my home and the original shop which also includeds a 650 sq ft mother in law unit that is attached to the existing shop. So I already have a bathroom and all that, even a frigde, whole kitchen and more. However, my mom currently lives there as I take care of her. Thats one of the reasons for moving the shop are outward, to not bother her as much.

I currently have a shop style Rexnor propane heater in the original shop. I will add another one to the new shop, leaving the painting area with no heat. It should heat nicely before painting with large heated areas on both sides. It will be a positive feed paint area as apposed to negative feed, as in fan to draw out the paint. In a positive feed, it creates pressure from a warm climate into the booth area. This way, dust and particles are pushed to areas of exhaust, cracks and such, rather than drawn past the paint area, past the project. This way, no paint can escape into the heathed areas as well or towards flamable heat sources.

Dave

O
O
What's the best kind of lighting for such a project? (sounds like a blast, I would be happy to get A car into A Garage!!!)

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Lawfish - you are scaring me - one of my good friends in town who also collects old signs, is a retired sargent from the Chillicothe Police Dept. He had mini storage for years as a side line, and built his block buildings out of seconds. He just finished a split face block building for personal use, out of 3 different colors of "seconds" - because they were cheap!! He's got the money - but he's tighter than bull's *** at fly time......
Another really friendly west coast sign collector is John Bobroff who is retired Highway Patrol.
Sure are alot of cops in this hobby...???

go to www.chevytalk.com and check out the "In the Garage" forum. Lots of information on various garage related tools/storage/lifts/heating, etc. Best automotive website there is (As long as your into Chebbies).

Here is a book Oldgas.com is offering from Amazon.com that you might be interested in:

Click on the image to see more or order

"This lushly illustrated, large-format gift book caters to America's fascination with the garage and looks at 25 of the most incredible garages in the United States. The list of garages compiled by author Phil Berg is a mix of over-the-top garages built by some of the most well-known names in the auto industry, including Bob Lutz, Ken Gross, Brock Yates, Pat Ganahl, and Bruce Meyer. Amazing garages from Peter Mullen's fantastic underground garage full of Delahaye roadsters and famous celebrity garages are also featured in full color detail, including auto collector and "Tonight" show host Jay Leno."

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LAWFISH:

I'm not familiar with the state requirements in nevada - but here in Michigan you can't have a drain in your 'garage'. The government doesn't want the petroleum by-products and anti-freeze liquids getting into the water system/lakes/streams/wells.

What most of my buddies do is install the drain system in the floor and cover the actual drain hole with a piece of round masonite exactly the size of the opening. Then they have the cement guy pour and slope the cement to the drain area leaving about 1/8" of cement over the masonite. When the final inspection is completed and the 'suits' have left, you simply chip out the thin layer of cement, add the drain screen - and viola - instant drain!

Of course, since we're good environmentalists, we make sure that nothing bad gets down the drain. We just don't like the government telling us we can't wash our cars in our own garages! FTITCTAJ!

Later . . .

Jim
"Go big - or go home!"

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
A topic right up my alley. I am just now breaking ground on my new building, a 30 x 48 steel truss clear span building. The trusses have clips welded in from the factory that allows you to use regular wood framing so that you can finish the walls off in drywall or whatever you choose (in all my research I only found two companies that do this). The clear span trusses gives me the ability to put in a lift and use radiant heat. Also, going with this company and design I can easily take one endwall off and add to the building later if needed. I will have three overhead doors on the long side with a entry door on the end. I got several ideas from the backyard stations thread that was up last week. My shop will also be a combination use, wrenching on cars and displaying my Marathon/Ohio Oil stuff. I am pretty pumped up about the whole thing, my partner in crime, Jeff's Automobilia is helping me put it up, we'll post pics as the project progresses. Good luck Lfish.

[This message has been edited by Ohio Oil (edited 03-12-2004).]

L
LAWFISH Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
L
No pics out there showing any of your displays? How your pumps, globes and other items are displayed.

Dave

------------------

L
LAWFISH Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
L
Hey Ohio Oil, any links to that thread your speaking of.

Dave

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved