Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#452352 Fri Aug 02 2013 02:53 PM
O
okoil1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
I know most don't like rules and over regulated shows but IG needs some enforcement. The Sunday/Monday arrivals is a joke. For those that are not retired, the drain on vacation time is tough and coming in two days before a late week show leaving the day it technically starts is bizzare.

Either move the start date to Tuesday (and with early arrivals it will be a weekend show) or have a firm Thursday starting date. Also while I'm on my soap box......bring back the Friday can auction and Saturday general auction, let Sunday be the travel day. The current state of the show doesn't benefit anyone that is attending as a vendor or buyer/collector.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

okoil1 #452355 Fri Aug 02 2013 03:26 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Could not agree more - it's ridiculous in it's current state! The only one benefiting is the hotel (and possibly show promoters thereby?). I know IG promoters tried policing things in the past and failed, but the promoters at Columbus do a good job of controlling the show start. Columbus also has worked to find a great location that is a joy for vendors/buyers to stay at - including a great complimentary breakfast and evening appetizer/cocktail hour. The Iowa Gas hotel has been a pain every year due to overcrowding, and lack of parking for vendors and buyers. This year was worse with much of the parking fenced off due to pending construction. Look for an Embassy Suites in Des Moines and change the schedule back to a long weekend so more people can attend (including BUYERS!). I remember years ago, there were actually people who came to the show who weren't vendors themselves, it seems lately all Iowa has been is collectors/dealers trading amongst ourselves - and having to take a week off work to do it. In reality- the show could be done in 3 days including the auction. That should be Thur-Sat, NOT Mon-Wed! I know you can't please everyone all the time - but can anyone say they actually like the current format?

Signs&Neons #452358 Fri Aug 02 2013 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i would agree with both of your statements... just seeing the posts of people returning on weds & thurs and not knowing when is actually ideal to show up has made me not actually miss being there that much, and it has severely affected my thoughts of attending in the future.

no other shows or sales operate that way. there might be 1 day before that vendors can trade and buy/sell while setting up, but then have 1 or 2 two days with set times that are open to public. make those days friday and saturday with the auction being saturday starting at 12 or 1. just my 2cents, that would make me far more likely to attend

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
BryceG #452364 Fri Aug 02 2013 03:59 PM
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
No whining here! I had a good time and loved seeing everyone and can't wait till next year! Perfect weather, lots and lots of goodies, and the best of all, awesome people. Thanks to everyone who attended and put on the event!

okoil1 #452366 Fri Aug 02 2013 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Couldn't agree more.I stopped going for those very reasons.
It truly is a great group of people,all with a common interest and incredible items for sale,as well as a good knowledge base.
Just run at an increasingly odd & awkward time of the week that ends with an auction 2 days later?

I'd really like to see it be a Thu-Fri.-Sat. show including the auction,with Sunday being the go home day.

Alas,this yearly rant will fall on deaf ears,so I'll just continue to sit here at work and wait for the photos from those who went....sigh.

Cold Pizza #452367 Fri Aug 02 2013 04:12 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
To these naive ears this is total CTO/Columbus dejavu!!!
I'm totally new to this. But the same complaints for two of the largest shows going. It borders on a joke.

Notchcad, I'm just curious. When did you arrive and when did you leave? I'm only asking from a scientistic perspective.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Steven C. #452372 Fri Aug 02 2013 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
If the reason for shows like these being held on these days,is because the older retired crowd doesn't have to work,then that is a very narrow minded thought process.

They can certainly attend a weekend show as well,which also allows the younger working crowd to attend also.
The promoters are shooting themselves in the foot by making it more difficult for the working/family crowd to attend,like me & my 3 nephews.

This scenario reminds me of the old Chicago Blackhawks owner Bill Wirtz,who single handedly denied TV airing rights and nearly killed Chicago hockey as we know it.
It wasn't until decades later when he died,and his son Rocky took over and turned it all around 180°.
The team became so fan & family friendly,it not only turned the team around financially & with loyalty & enthusiasm,but the entire sport of Hockey as well.
Today everyone is a winner.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Steven C. #452373 Fri Aug 02 2013 04:33 PM
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
I arrived Monday around 2. And left today at 830am. 12 hour drive without stops and/or problems. I could have never gotten everything done an taken care of if it started Thursday. And certainly couldn't use Sunday to come home. If something happened then I wouldn't be able to make it to work Monday. And the truck and trailer would still be full Monday if I didn't have the weekend to unload and get back to normal. It all boils down to planning for the show. Ask around and find out when to go.

Steven C. #452374 Fri Aug 02 2013 04:34 PM
C
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
C
This is one of the reasons I did not attend, Early early people coming and by the time the show really starts, most are gone. It seems to be a Old gas- vendor buyers only show now. Its tough to control, but why no rules on starting time? Clinton, you could have a good time in a hail storm.

Craig
Craig Osbeck #452376 Fri Aug 02 2013 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have to say that cto was controlled very well this year. The show started at 4:00pm on Thursday and ended sat. There was no early vending ask the people who tried in the parking lot. From what I understand it didn't end well for them. I think Iowa is a great show but giving up a week is tough to do.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Craig Osbeck #452379 Fri Aug 02 2013 04:50 PM
O
okoil1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
This was my 24th in a row (and I'm 40). My opinion based upon experience is the Thursday/Friday show with Friday night can auction and Saturday general auction was optimal. Sure, people still arrived on Wednesday. One benefit of Friday being the last show day was that there seemed to be more local foot traffic looking for entry level items.

Different formats work better for others. With the older format I could take wed-Friday off work rather than taking a full week or Tuesday-Thursday (minimum) as it has been for 15 years.

One aspect that may have contributed to more Sunday/Monday arrivals this year than normal could have been Dan's Saturday auction in Wichita, I personally know a handful that just drove on into Des Moines from Wichita.....regardless it still needs to be shortened. I was finished buying by 9:00am Wednesday.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

s932 #452381 Fri Aug 02 2013 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I normally don't comment on this stuff but I hear the same complaints and/or other complaints every year no matter what day it is suppose to start on or end on. Nobody is ever happy. Is there an ideal solution? I am guessing not. Maybe it needs to be a one day show with vendors in a controlled area selling from say 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Show is then over. No auctions, no room to room ect. Would I like that? Heck no but you would have more control. No matter when it is I will adapt and enjoy the show. It is one of my favorite events of the year.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
keithia #452382 Fri Aug 02 2013 05:06 PM
O
okoil1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
Hoosier is a whirlwind and It's a Gas is a 1.5 day show both are a lot of fun. The guys in Columbia have perfected the "efficiency of an oil and gas show".

keithia #452383 Fri Aug 02 2013 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: keithia
I normally don't comment on this stuff but I hear the same complaints and/or other complaints every year no matter what day it is suppose to start on or end on. Nobody is ever happy. Is there an ideal solution? I am guessing not. Maybe it needs to be a one day show with vendors in a controlled area selling from say 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Show is then over. No auctions, no room to room ect. Would I like that? Heck no but you would have more control. No matter when it is I will adapt and enjoy the show. It is one of my favorite events of the year.

Well said.. I had a great time and added a lot of new stuff to my collection and can't wait for next year!!!

Last edited by Esse's Garage; Fri Aug 02 2013 05:07 PM.

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
keithia #452396 Fri Aug 02 2013 05:19 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Keithia/Esse's, I appreciate your optimism and willingness to go with the flow - I should probably try to do that too smile.

I, like OKoil, have been going annually for 20+ years (perhaps you have too?). I've experienced it with a better timeline in the past. It didn't take all week, there was a crowd of non-vending customers at the show buying, and your costs to do the event were far less as you don't have a week's motel, meals, and lost wages. Curious if some of you like Notchcad were selling or just buying/picking up/delivering? If I weren't selling, and had a flexible work schedule I would care less when the show was - I'd buzz in for 1-2 days to shop and head out (although if timing were shorter, I'd stay for the auction too!). As for controlling it- just don't open the lot until the show starts! In the end, you are right that nothing is going to please everyone - and we'll all keep coming back. However, if some changes were made - it could be so much bigger and in my opinion - better.

Signs&Neons #452409 Fri Aug 02 2013 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I love the show,and I also will adapt to it.unfortunatly what it comes down to ,no matter how you put it...$$$$$$. In a way kinda sad.

Last edited by oldnfuelish; Fri Aug 02 2013 05:37 PM.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Steven C. #452417 Fri Aug 02 2013 05:57 PM
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
I arrived Monday around 2. And left today at 830am. 12 hour drive without stops and/or problems. I could have never gotten everything done an taken care of if it started Thursday. And certainly couldn't use Sunday to come home. If something happened then I wouldn't be able to make it to work Monday. And the truck and trailer would still be full Monday if I didn't have the weekend to unload and get back to normal. It all boils down to planning for the show. Ask around and find out when to go. I go to buy, sell, deliver, pick up a few items, and even trade. I stay pretty busy every day which is why I go all week. I could never get it all in if it was only a day or two.

Notchcad #452422 Fri Aug 02 2013 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hmmmmm
Those that complained about not being able to sell early at Columbus should go to Iowa and those that complain about people selling early at Iowa should go to Columbus?

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Notchcad #452425 Fri Aug 02 2013 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
And that boy was busier than a one armed paper hanger!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
oldnfuelish #452448 Fri Aug 02 2013 07:59 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Now,That there Wes fellow is a bright boy!

Always looking for Mississippi company items, Billups, southland, ride with rose.
katfsh #452466 Fri Aug 02 2013 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
12th year and enjoyed every minute of it. Great people, it's like one big family that enjoys the same stuff as me and get along.
I'm sitting on my couch at home on Friday night because I could head home after the auction and still have a weekend to enjoy and like Notchcad relax and unload.
IMO If you don't like the format, it's simple....don't go.
Ron and John have tweaked this show many times as they have been running it since it's start. They do a GREAT Job.
As far as the early birds buying up all the good stuff, I Have found a whole lot of sweet items over the years and I'm never there early. I actually find that the better deals come when the sellers don't want to haul it home and sell it cheaper before they load up. And early bird are at every show and swap meet all over the country so why would this be different.
Just my opinion guys but everyone there seemed to have a great time and since I'm only 55 (not retired) and this is my 12 IG... This schedule is not just for the old retired guys!!!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
okoil1 #452499 Sat Aug 03 2013 07:43 AM
V
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
V
Why does this topic always come up? Get over it or don’t come! You guys got to remember some of us don’t just work Mon-Fri and for me the schedule was perfect as my Supercuts are slammed Friday Sat. Sun. & Monday plus I had to be home Friday for payroll, paying rents, bills and retail orders! Plus I was able to look over the auction items and leave bids which was perfect so I could hit the road! Anyway John & Ron did an awesome job as always!

vmc44 #452616 Sat Aug 03 2013 02:47 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Iowa Gas is always great when you can see old friends that you only see once or twice a year. And it is ran well, but the problems with the expansion and no parking was a real pain in the butt. I have two spaces which I park my truck and trailer in but there war a log jam trying to get in or out.
Been there for 12 years myself and will go as long as I physically can and hope to keep same room I have had all these years and for future years.
The people make the show a success and yes I can come and go as I please I would rather have the friday night and Saturday auctions. Thursday locals were walking aroud as they had seen it on television and many drove from out of town but it was 95% over. I bought some great stuff and sold a very large amount and had a great time

souperhigh #452624 Sat Aug 03 2013 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
didn't see you & wished i could have visited and talked with you Maurice, did get to vist with Paddy often......I've been doing this show for at least 23 years or more and have many freinds that were there and makes this show a lot of fun.....had great laughs, sold and bought great.....nothing to complain about here !!!......

.................please don't forget the many people and freindships of people who did this same show, however they are no longer with us........

Last edited by roadrelics; Sat Aug 03 2013 04:21 PM.
roadrelics #452652 Sat Aug 03 2013 06:26 PM
*****Collectors and vendors from around the country, Canada, and Europe make their annual pilgrimage to Des Moines to buy, sell, and trade collectible antique advertising pieces of historic interest. Iowa Gas features two days (Wednesday and Thursday) of vending in the parking lot, ballroom, courtyard and hotel rooms. A room-to-room swap is held on Wednesday and Thursday evenings. A hospitality gathering is held on Thursday evening. Friday is a large general collectibles auction.*****

.....just saying, this ain't what is happening !!!?? If someone tells you they are going to do something ....what are you expecting from them???

johnson gas #452660 Sat Aug 03 2013 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That is what I saw, other than people also vending on Tuesday.

Wes Maxwell #452678 Sat Aug 03 2013 07:54 PM
O
okoil1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
Let me be clear as the originator of the thread:

I will be back next year for my 25th consecutive. (And most likely my father after his 2 year hiatus). If I didn't return my son Chase might not speak to me for 6 months......or at least until Columbia LOL.

I just want the older format of Thursdays/Friday with the Friday night can auction/Saturday general auction and early vending
/set-up limited to noon on Wednesday. In other words don't open the lot until noon Wednesday. (And i remember the "Oklahoma land run" aspect of lining up to enter the lot) it is better than the sun-wed format that most have adopted.

katfsh #452697 Sat Aug 03 2013 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
& The BIGGEST COMPLAINERS DON'T EVEN ATTEND THIS SHOW!
ALL WE EVER HEAR IS;
IF ....
IF ......
IF .........
IF ...........
B.S.
As I said before, Weddings, Funerals, Graduations & Vacations that YOU WANT to attend, YOU MAKE PLANS.

For GaspumpRob & I, w/ no side trips, 1 way is 1,718 mi, 24 hours driving. I left Friday morning shorty after 8am & had a delivery in Cheyenne, Wy., just got home. Sunday I have to unload pickup & re-load tools for work.

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Sat Aug 03 2013 10:23 PM.
Dick Bennett #452701 Sat Aug 03 2013 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
DB , I bet you are wore out! That's a haul!!!!

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
s932 #452745 Sun Aug 04 2013 07:44 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Nancy and I were in early, due to going to the Wichita auction. Everyone set up on Tuesday, so we did to. I bought and sold all 3 days and went to the Thursday auction. We have no control how a show is operated, we just have to make it work. If you're going to be serious about this hobby, take your vacation the week of Iowa Gas. I've been going to Columbus and Iowa Gas for 20 years, and enjoy them both. Columbus has by far the best hotel, but Iowa has the largest display of signs, pumps, globes, etc.

Butch

66phillips #452778 Sun Aug 04 2013 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I Agree w/ Butch,
"If you're going to be serious about this hobby, take your vacation the week of Iowa Gas." [Or enough time to attend]
Although I have never been to Columbus. With the exception of 2 years I have been attending IG since 1994 & always drive.
The Holiday Inn parking lot IS too small for this event. Years ago it was split & held at H.I. & the Best Western on Army Post Rd [to the south], then a couple of times in the Airport long term parking lot just across the street [south].

Dick Bennett #452784 Sun Aug 04 2013 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I've said it for years: you have to have a hard and fast date for the start of a show...the promoters have to put their foot down, and stick to the schedule as advertised...I think they got it right at Columbus this year...

...I don't think anyone who drove two days to get there, would be happy if they arrived only to find everyone else was already packing up...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #452808 Sun Aug 04 2013 12:15 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I like the show in the middle of the week. This is my vacation every year. I left Colorado on Friday morning.
I agree with DB. "As I said before, Weddings, Funerals, Graduations & Vacations that YOU WANT to attend, YOU MAKE PLANS."
And Butch. "If you're going to be serious about this hobby, take your vacation the week of Iowa Gas."
Champlinman and I arrived Monday night for the first time this year. Not to get early sales. But because we usually drive in Tuesday afternoon and don't have time to make stops we want to make because we know there will be some early sales.
This year we made some stops to visit some people on the way there. And when we got to Des Moines we stopped at Zombie burger for an awesome meal. If we had come Tuesday we never would have done that because we don't leave the hotel once we get there. Too much going on!
The only thing I'd change is limit the swap to one day. We didn't have much left to sell by Thursday morning. What was left was cheaper cans and signs, things that are a hard sell at a place like Iowa Gas! I was packed up and on the road back to Colorado at noon Thursday. But I'm not a serious seller. I actually hate selling. Just ask Champlinman. The place I was least likely to be found...selling my stuff in spaces 10 and 11.
And I like having the weekend when I get home to unload, shine up, and find places to display my newly purchased items and ease back into the next week.
For me Iowa Gas is more than just a show where they open the gates and you rush in and buy stuff and then leave. It's more like a convention for those who are serious and established in the hobby. It's about meeting and spending time with the people you have got to know in the hobby over the years. And buy some nice stuff while doing it! Just look at that picture of all the oldgas members from this year. That's what I think Iowa Gas is all about. It's more than just a swap meet! Thanks to Ron and John for putting on a great show!

RARIN TO GO #452814 Sun Aug 04 2013 12:45 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R

RARIN TO GO #453114 Mon Aug 05 2013 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: RARIN TO GO
I agree with DB. "As I said before, Weddings, Funerals, Graduations & Vacations that YOU WANT to attend, YOU MAKE PLANS."
And Butch. "If you're going to be serious about this hobby, take your vacation the week of Iowa Gas."

...I guess there's two issues here, that are being confused for some reason...

...some people want the show to be scheduled at a different time of the week...

...some people want the show to happen at the advertised time, and not two days before...

...I can't imagine someone holding a funeral, wedding, graduation, etc., and starting and ending it early because a bunch of people showed up early...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #453123 Mon Aug 05 2013 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wouldn't say the show ended early. A lot of people may have packed up early but my brother and I were still set up out in the parking lot at about 5pm on Thursday afternoon. I got one of the best items in my whole collection late Thursday afternoon sitting out in the shade. We sold some stuff that afternoon and I bought a lens I was looking for in one of the rooms also. Yes, I would have been upset if I showed up at 3pm and only a few vendors were open but a lot of vendors travel long distance, have a lot of time and $$ invested and after sitting out in the parking lot for three days were ready to pack up and get ready for the auction. Same points are brought up every year.

Wes Maxwell #453126 Mon Aug 05 2013 10:47 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I think we need to take a look at the show from a buyer or new comer's perspective here- for all intents and purposes - it was "over" by lunchtime Wednesday. I do agree Wes no one wants to sit in the sun for 3 days. However, WEDNESDAY is the day it was advertised to start! Anyone who showed up Wednesday did not get a true look at the show, and Thursday was very sparse outside according to friends who stayed. If this is what these new comers see, do you really think they will be back? I arrived at noon Tuesday and I was late!! Gulfiend is right, there are two issues here. The days scheduled is a matter of personal preference - some like OkOil and myself prefer end of week/weekend. Some like VMC44 prefer the midweek. That is something that you can't please everyone on - but you all must admit that an end of week or weekend schedule allows more people the possibility of attending since as a general rule most people work M-F. Adhering to the advertised schedule is a different thing altogether and one that Iowa could take a lesson from Columbus on IMO. On that note, exploring new convention facilities with more amenities (restaurant/bar, ample parking, more rooms, etc) would be great and would help the show grow. I will be back regardless, but I think everything has room for improvement. I'm simply trying to put out constructive criticism and offer suggestions for consideration. Thanks

Wes Maxwell #453129 Mon Aug 05 2013 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Wes Maxwell
I got one of the best items in my whole collection late Thursday afternoon sitting out in the shade.
I also bought several great items on Thursday afternoon. Some vendors left, but MANY didn't leave until late Thursday.

Dennis Leith / Always looking for unusual Gilmore Oil Company items and Automobilia Displays
okoil1 #453135 Mon Aug 05 2013 11:15 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have been a regular attendee, but not a vendor, since 1995. I was there early on the "advertised" opening day and once again was disappointed to hear of all the buying/selling taking place on Tuesday (and even Monday). While there is some activity on Thursday, I think it's kinda over by Wed afternoon. A vendor friend of mine said that he did most of his selling on Tue.

If the folks that make the rules allow the show to open at the vendors' will, it makes no difference what the official opening day might be as it will always start at least a day early. Before long it will back itself up into the previous week and on its way to the first week of July rather than August.

It's still a great show and guess I will go on Tue/Wed next year.

Dave

Dave
nebrgas #453138 Mon Aug 05 2013 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i can't complain about anything to do with this show....I can understand some of these complaints however i talk to people before the show and adjust my plans accordingly....if that means leaving a day early, so be it........I did hear several times that all the spaces were sold out, the hotel was sold out and i thought the crowd was very strong.....we stayed until thursday afternoon also....

roadrelics #453232 Mon Aug 05 2013 06:43 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I think this was my 9th year of going to Iowa Gas and I've been a member of the oldgas forum for about the same amount of time and I think this topic has come up every year. Here is what I will say to those who think they (Iowa Gas) should do things differently...just start your own show if you don't like how this one is run! This was the TWENTY SEVENTH Iowa Gas. 27th!!! I think maybe they are doing something right! Start your own show with all your strict rules about when you can show up, when you can sell, when you can leave, what you can or can't drink in the parking lot or the hotel, when you can invite people into your room to sell them your items and when you can't. And if caught breaking a rule, then what? I can't sell my stuff? You go ahead and do that! I will be at Iowa Gas!!!

RARIN TO GO #453238 Mon Aug 05 2013 07:08 PM
LSx Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Being a newb myself, I would of been pretty disapointed if I would of drove the 3 or so hours and most everyone would of been already packed up and home.

But, with that said im not saying "it needs to be this or that way" im just glad I kinda stood back and seen how all this works. My first show was in Columbia, MO and was shocked that most had already packed up and headed out by the time I got there. Before I heard that, I thought there was quite a bit of things there but then I heard that and thought to myself...damn just imagine the stuff that I missed!

Looks like if I want to get serious about a show I need to plan vacation time to see the good stuff

-Brian
blacktee #453258 Mon Aug 05 2013 07:48 PM
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
It all boils down to keeping up with the times. Period.

blacktee #453260 Mon Aug 05 2013 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This has to stop..... For all of you who are ***** and moaning about everyone gone on Wednesday.... you are so wrong. I got there Tuesday evening and picked up a pole and a few other items that were brought there for me. I never went to the swap meet or the hotel. Wednesday morning my wife and I headed over about 9am and the place was packed with people, sellers and lots of great items and the swappers were there throughout the day and if you look at my stuff in the BOTW, I can tell you that I got most of it on Thursday and Friday, So either show up and see for yourself because you have no right complaining about all the good stuff being gone!!!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Mike M. #453556 Wed Aug 07 2013 05:11 AM
M
M
I would also like to put a final comment to this thread, Iowa Gas is a must for the serious collector. I am there all week and after 24 years I have never been disappointed and have purchased many great items over the years. One point that has not been mentioned is that Matthews Auctions had an auction the Saturday before Iowa Gas in Wichita, KS and several of the Iowa Gas vendors were in attendance at that auction. They choose to go straight to Iowa rather than return home and drive the extra miles, hence why some of the vendors were setup and selling early.

Iowa Gas has set strict rules in the past and the show took a serious negative hit because of it. Sellers & buyers at Iowa Gas are always eager to get started. There is and always will be something for every level of buyer at the show whether its Wednesday or Thursday.

For those who did not or have never been to Iowa Gas, attend, you will not be disappointed. Take a week of vacation and enjoy this event and stop listening to the whiners & complainers (many of which do not attend the show).

mdmike #453601 Wed Aug 07 2013 08:40 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I agree with Mike. Look at the buys of the week, and compare them to any show. You will see Iowa gas is the top dog. I bought, and sold, something everyday.

66phillips #453602 Wed Aug 07 2013 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: 66phillips
I agree with Mike. Look at the buys of the week, and compare them to any show. You will see Iowa gas is the top dog. I bought, and sold, something everyday.

sounds like I need to start making plans.. cool

RANDY
advertologist #453744 Wed Aug 07 2013 05:25 PM
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Randy, it would be great to see you at some of the shows, I know you would enjoy them. We attend Columbus & Iowa and Roy Reeds and Fred Stokes
Ray

advertologist #453821 Wed Aug 07 2013 09:10 PM
P
P
Randy, I agree with Ray....it would be great to see you attend one of these shows!!

Richard

Pegasus #453885 Thu Aug 08 2013 07:48 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This year was my second year at Iowa gas and first year to be a vendor. Last year the wife, kids and I stayed down the road in another hotel, and got to the show on Tuesday afternoon and we left (ran out of money) by lunch on wednesday. I learned alot from my 12 hours there last year. First and most important is that if I was going to be serious about the show I needed to be there early.

When it came time to plan this years trip I knew that since I was going to be vending I wanted to be there on monday to get set up before the rush on tuesday. We arrived around lunch on Monday and started setting up our room. From our balcony I could see that there was already 3 rooms open while we were setting up. I saw several things get sold on Monday afternoon, I even bought a couple of pieces, but I wouldn't say a whole lot got sold.

Tuesday I was on the parking lot at daylight in the misting rain and there was already a nice group of people out and about, and through out the morning as more vendors pulled in they were setting up and selling a good bit of stuff. I think my mid afternoon everyone started closing up and going inside.

Wednesday I was woken up by a door slamming at 4:30am. I went outside around six to see a large crowd already there. More stuff came out of the trailers on wednesday and there were more vendors that arrived during the night tuesday. In my opinion tuesday on had 60% of what was on display Wednesday morning. Shortly after lunch on wednesday I went up to the room to start selling so I dont know what happened outside after lunch.

We left at lunch on thursday not bc of the show just because we were ready to get home and see our kids. Even then there was still a fair crowd and most of the vendors seemed to be open for business.

As far as selling goes Wednesday was our best night, but we did sell something Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights, and Im sure we would have done well on thursday night also.

as far as buying goes I bought on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. The best pieces I got were on Monday afternoon and Thursday morning.

So for everyone to be whining that the show was over on Tuesday that is just B.S. Next year I will be there early again and will take the kids so they can sell some maps, enjoy the pool, and I can stay until the show is over.
Bobby

Always looking for Mississippi company items, Billups, southland, ride with rose.
katfsh #453899 Thu Aug 08 2013 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have shown up at noon on Tuesday every year for the past 5 years and this year had the most people present at that time and I attribute it to the inflow from the Wichita auction.
I think the format for the whole show is just fine and I don't feel I missed out on anything by not being there Monday. I believe next year will be more like past years and everything will be status quo.
My biggest miss of the whole show was on Wednesday afternoon when a great Cities Service sign got pulled out and sold before I could get over there! LOL Ya can't be everywhere!!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #453958 Thu Aug 08 2013 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
What's to stop this show from starting Sunday,or even Saturday in the next few years?

Cold Pizza #453961 Thu Aug 08 2013 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Cold Pizza
What's to stop this show from starting Sunday,or even Saturday in the next few years?

...apparently nothing...that's just how it is in the 'real world' - and you're a whiner for pointing that out wink

...just kidding...hey, I'm sure there are plenty of people who can afford to take six weeks off for Iowa Gas - y'know, just to be on the safe side...

Last edited by gulfiend!; Thu Aug 08 2013 02:48 PM.

gulfiend! #453965 Thu Aug 08 2013 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Well then that's the year we'll be attending. smile

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Cold Pizza #454099 Fri Aug 09 2013 06:07 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
If they start it Sat., or Sun., I'll be there.

66phillips #454148 Fri Aug 09 2013 10:06 AM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I was last there in 1992. Went with an empty truck and full wallet, left with a full truck and empty wallet,had a great time. If I ever go again you can bet your a$$ I'll be there when the good stuff is there whatever day it is. Ron Lease-Collector. Oh yeah, wallet is still empty LOL.

oillease55 #454454 Sat Aug 10 2013 08:58 PM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Great show!Great people! Got there at noon Tuesday and found a lot of great stuff.Quit buying at 10 Thursday night.Thanks to everyone for a great time!Mark

MARK SMITH #454713 Sun Aug 11 2013 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It was a great time!!! Would not change anything and would not miss it! Well worth the gas to get there, and back from Cali! It was great seeing all who attended once again! See all of you next year.

Rob

Last edited by Gas Pump Rob; Sun Aug 11 2013 09:34 PM.
Gas Pump Rob #459404 Fri Aug 30 2013 04:22 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...just found this: Scott Benjamin's take on the show, and when it 'started'...

http://www.gasglobes.com/gallery/v/globeinfo/arrow66signiowa.jpg.html

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved