Next Thread
Print Thread
#45453 Fri Jul 13 2007 08:58 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
OK, I need help from you Fry 117 experts out there. I am trying to get the handle off of my frozen pump. While trying to remove the attachment bolt it appears it sheared off. I cannot remove it or pry it out. It will not tighten or it will not come out. It just spins. Is this some sort of captive fastener? Now what? How do I get it out so I can use a puller to get the handle off? The photo shows what little gap I can get trying to pull the nut but again it just spins freely now and won't come out.
Thanks, Jeff

[This message has been edited by jrwienri (edited 07-13-2007).]

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#45454 Fri Jul 13 2007 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well, that top bolt is just a bolt with the 1/8th inch rod stock in it and it needs to come off. If you can not get it to come off then you will just have to cut the head of the bolt off and then the handle should pop off. Then remake that bolt head. You might try heating up the bolt and handle area too. The bolt is just another FRY item I will be making soon.

NOW for the frozen pump works - almost 90% of the time it is just the outside packing nut (i will be making that soon too) under the handle that you need to take off, and loosen up the grafit soaked rope with a screw driver and work it with wd40. Then poor some wd40 into the top of the pump, and it should break free with little effort. IF not then you have to pop open the case and bead blast... If you pop open the case use HEAT on the bolts and get them cherry RED and let cool - these will break and you can not get these high head bolts anymore.

HINT, when you get it free, put a 2 inch pipe in the bottom with a cap on it, and poor automotive transmission fluid into the pump works - 1/2 qt will work. This will keep it free as long as you work the pump works handle 2 times a year or so.

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

#45455 Fri Jul 13 2007 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
After pump mech is free, a thin coat of silicone spray will keep moisture off the metal parts. No worries about laying pump on side for transport.
db

#45456 Sat Jul 14 2007 08:29 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
if you look about where your puller is located,between pump unit and pump handle, there is a set screw. you will break the end of the pump off if you dont get that screw.kj

keith a. johnson
#45457 Sun Jul 15 2007 09:29 AM
J
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
Thanks Guys,
Found the set screw. Missed that one first time around but haven't tried to pull the handle yet as I still cant get the nut off. It just spins and spins and spins
Jeff

#45458 Sun Jul 15 2007 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Any chance of getting a Nut splitter on it ?

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 07-15-2007).]

#45459 Sun Jul 15 2007 01:41 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
Good idea Dick. I don't have an actual nut splitter but I could use my sawzall and slice it doen the center. I'm thinking I should try to drill the center out first to see what that does. I'm still totally puzzled why it spins and won't pull out? It's like there is a retaining ring holding it in the handle. Anyone out there ever seen this? Of course the set screw in the handle man.fats pointed me to is also so in there it shattered the bit on my impact driver when I tried to loosen it. This one's going to test me all the way. Keep those ideas rolling boys, looks like I'll need all the help I can get on this one. Step back I'm getting out the torch.
Thanks Guys, Jeff

#45460 Sun Jul 15 2007 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When all else fails, Drown it with Coke [no sense wasting Good soda !].
db

#45461 Sun Jul 15 2007 08:01 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
So no one else has to fumble through this here is Fry Pump Handle 101:
Here are fine points of a Fry pump handle. The Set screw is a dog point and holds the handle nut with the cross dowel into the handle. Without removing the set screw first as Man.fats alluded to you will damage the assy trying to remove it by force. My problem with the nut turning and not coming out was the dog point holding nut in the handle as it engages in the nut groove. Not sure but I most likely broke the threaded portion of the nut off turning it without the dog point set screw removed. That’s not to say it would not have broken off anyway but it didn’t help. Heated the set screw cherry red and using a new impact point got it loose and removed it. Next I drilled a hole down the center of the nut starting with 3/16 and moved up 1/16 at a time until I had a ½ inch hole. I kept looking down the hole as I drilled it until the bottom of the hole didn’t spin when I turned the nut then I knew I was to the break in the threads. This allowed me to use a puller assy to pull of the handle. I dropped a ½ inch harden bolt down the hole, set up the puller and removed the handle. It was still tough but my impact made short work of it. See pics for details. I did go into the pump shaft a little to reach the break. It also drilled a bit off center as I did not use a drill press so I have a little shaft repair to do. 1) Get the broken threads out and 2) weld up and re-thread the pump shaft. Hope this helps someone else down the road.
Thanks and Regards, Jeff

[This message has been edited by jrwienri (edited 07-15-2007).]

#45462 Mon Jul 16 2007 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Are you going to keep that handle nut? Let me know I would like to get my hands on it and the threaded area length so I can repop this on my metal lathe. I have not seen this part before as all of mine are standard threaded round bar stock with a 1/4 cold rolled in the top, they do not have a set screw. Very cool part and it would be easy to spin out.

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved