Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Originally Posted By: Mike M.

Paul you list your occupation as "Picker" so why would you care what you could get at one of their stores? As to quote the fakers "there's no meat left on the bone"
Everyone who has spoke about going to their stores have said the items there that are worth buying are there for the Tv cameras and part of Mike's collection and are priced crazy high if their priced at all.
Watch Mike's E-bay page for a while and you'll see what's there....
http://myworld.ebay.com/antiquearchaeologyleclaire/

I don't want to appear to be mean, but you really need to get that chip off your shoulder about pickers in general.

Pickers as a group do a hell of a lot of business between each other and most wheel and deal faster and with more stuff in one week than you as a collector ever realize. And "meat on the bone" is relative to your locale, the pick(s) in question, and the picker's list of clients. I've traded, swapped, bought, sold, bargained, etc... with a wide array of other pickers to mutual benefit for 12 years.

In this case, if I visit the Nashville store with some items to trade, I'd like to know that the store is more than just a merchandising front and that's why I started this thread, to get reports on real life experience with the stores, like katfish has given.

You collectors may bemoan the TV show, but you have no idea what we pickers have to put up with on a regular basis when we go to a show or a market to sell our picks. Imagine 1000 people looking at your collection obviously for sale and 40-50% remarking that you should contact the pickers to sell them!

I'm visible in the public arena 3-5 times a week selling my acquisitions and I'm always looking for new sources and new outlets.

Below are typical selections I put out for sale every week.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The Nashville store is about the same size as the one in LaCaire. They only have a small part of the building for a showroom. Looked like maybe the upstairs was for crew relaxing.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
So as I read it Katfish told you what you wanted to hear but you don't care what anyone else (like oilmanpat) told you on this thread.
Your not the only one who hears (you should contact the pickers) all the time when they see your collection. Not everyone can see the true reality of the reality shows!
You go ahead and spend gas money and please let us know what you get from them.
And if you can get your hands on a copy of this:
http://www.worldwidenewsonline.com/mopar-collector-s-guide-september-2013.html
They tell all about how this show is run.

I have no problem or chip on my shoulder about what you do or anyone else does for a living. I wish you luck at what your doing.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Mike,

I had only heard negative comments concerning the ability to buy from the stores. So I went fishing for answers. So when a comment to the contrary occurs it calls into question whether the former comments develop an accurate picture of the situation. And since a smart person doesn't burn bridges without great forethought, or throw the baby out with the bathwater, I prefer to defer to more experiencial commentary than derogatory prattle.

If perchance I'm travelling anywhere within reasonable distance of Nashville I might stop by the store. But it's not a necessity as you can tell from the picture above. Again, a smart person avails himself of opportunity when it knocks.

BTW, I asked the gal that runs the Nashville operation about the sale of items and this is the response I got....

"... yes we have merchandise, but also picks from the show for people to experience and enjoy, as well as items picked from Mike off the road. Keep in mind we are not your typical antique store anymore as our show is now aired internationally. Good stuff moves quick, but the guys are out over 1/2 the year picking inventory as much as possible. I hope this answers your question. -L"

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I was in Wisconsin last week picking up a large neon sign and decided to stop at a vintage Motorcycle show in Iowa on my way back to Colorado. Mike Wolf was set up at the show with his trademark VW single cab selling motorcycle parts. While cruising around the show on his Harley, he stopped by my trailer to look at the sign I bought so we talked.

I asked him about a few signs he had for sale in Nashville last month and he told me both where sold....maybe Katfish? Anyway, he said the Iowa store can be pretty slow but things fly out the door in Nashville because of the locale.

We also spoke last month while I was in Nashville visiting family. I tried to purchase some Indian Motorcycle signs but he wouldn't sell any of them. He said after doing this for 25 years, he's finally in a position to keep the good stuff. I guess it's all relative and can't blame him for keeping the good stuff....don't we all. As far as how much stuff sells, don't think it really matters to him but he does seem to enjoy the hunt!
smile

Chuck
smile
Signs Wanted: Sunset, Clipper, Harbor, Indian Motorcycle, Powerlube, Beacon, Michelin, Conoco MM
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Thanks Chuck for that input.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved