Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#459723 Sat Aug 31 2013 12:52 PM
mapper Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Sorry if this topic has come up before, but if it has, I couldn't find it.

Are there any restrictions shipping full oil cans to Canada? I would like to list a red indian can, and am sure i'll get a bit of interest from the north.

thanks!

Alan
Collecting MN and Minneapolis gas and oil related items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
list it as a full oil can alan and let the buyer figure it out....some might ask you to drain, another might have a usa address to ship full to...or a usa bidder might buy also....mm

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
As long as the company used to ship it does not have a problem it is fine. Some shippers restrict what liquids and flammables they will handle.
My boss even has alcohol shipping from the USA to Canada.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Alan, if you ship via United Parcel, there shouldn't be a problem . Same goes with Federal Express. Pretty much , you need to do a Customs declaration stating the value . I always UNDERVALUE anything going out of the country . The same goes for a couple of friends I have in England and Ireland . Generally, it's the Post office that seems to give me the most grief . I send plastic model parts , parts of exhibits , brochures all over . Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
mapper Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
thanks!

Alan
Collecting MN and Minneapolis gas and oil related items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
UPS & FedeX use their own planes, USPS uses Passenger Planes & have more restrictions on what can be shipped/mailed.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have shipped full ones to Canada with USPS over 20 times and never had a problem.

Always looking for Red Indian Tins, McColl Frontenac, McColl Bros., Buffalo (prarie cities oil co), Stellarene and other western canadian tins.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Canada Post classifies a container containing petroleum products as a hazardous, restricted item. If it is noticed in the system Canada Customs can and will confiscate the item and destroy it and you will get a nice little note from them saying so. I received one from them a few years back for a wax tin. As Chris has experienced, most of the time these parcels go through without being checked but if that one time is your $800 full oil tin you will have absolutely no recourse. Also Canadian buyers should know that UPS and Fed-Ex have a wonderful extra brokerage fee that they tack on when they deliver a parcel from the US to the door and it can be substantial. Cheers, Don.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Alan another thing to bear in mind is that you are responsible for anything that you ship. Liquid flammables are prohibited by most carriers. If something were to go wrong you could be held liable for any injuries or financial losses.

I would inquire with the carrier and abide by their shipping regulations.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved