Oldgas.com Home  
Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There are alot of years of experience in this forum I myself have been collecting for over thirty years and feel I can spot a repop pretty easily but I am not perfect by any means. My gut feeling is though this is a repop sign comparing it to some originals. Take that thing back and get your money back!

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very well worded Dave!
I'm not sure of the realistic value of that sign, as an original, but I would think that one in that condition and verified as an original would bring $4000+, or am I off a ways here? Anyway, my point is that a lot of very experienced sign collectors have passed on this sign at the bargain price of $1800???? That in itself should tell the owner all he needs to know.
There isn't a one of us that wants to devalue an original sign, its just these unmarked reproductions that have hurt so many collectors!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Sometimes its not always good to judge a sign by the price of it. Just because somthing is cheap does not make it fake. I do understand kevins outlook on why someone would discount a high price item so much. In this case i believe it is because of the authenticity of the sign but i have seen many nice, unrestored originals heavily discounted from what we as collector "think" an item is worth. I do agree this sign is not correct.

Last edited by 57tbirdkid; Tue Jun 19 2012 02:47 PM.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: grabber
On the 30 inch repop porcelain signs here's a list of ones I have seen. A guy in NC made them...they include: Gulf, Phillips 66 (like this one), Phillips 66 Ethyl, Sinclair HC, Sinclair w/ Stripes (this one is blue lol), Pontiac, Sunbeam (red version and white version), Caterpillar, Super Chevrolet, Rebel, Mustang, Buick, Cadillac, Texaco (6 foot round look however 30 inch), Texaco Sky Chief, Pennzoil (2 versions I believe), Standard Oil w/ Torch, Globe (incorrect mounting holes w/ super blurred graphics), also a small double sided porcelain Shell sign (not 30 inch). They appear to be made from the small repop versions and "blown up" to size...I heard the fellow that made them was busted when retrieving a crate at a ship port...I do not know who it was...just heard a few stories from other guys here in North Carolina...if you do not know they are very deceiving because they are shelved like earlier signs and not marked (they are blurry and the fonts are off, etc) or they do not match the originals they were patterned after...

Grabber , is one of the Pennzoil's the 30"tan one, with the bell? I saw a supposedly mint one that just didnt "feel" right when I looked at it, sell for 3K in a auction a couple months ago.
My $.02- and I could be wrong,the sign doesnt appear properly. I'm no Phillips guy, but were the originals marked in any way?

Last edited by JimT; Tue Jun 19 2012 04:26 PM.
i believe one of these was sold at showtime auctions last time i was there. it looked fake as a scam and was but it still sold for a grip...........just my 2 cents.......

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
One of what? The Pennzoil or the Phillips?

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
I am pretty sure i found a repop gulf The letters on gulf are not right and the colors are off i will try and get a pic of it.

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
jgoff,

These are your words:

"I am not trying to rip anyone off at all I am an honest person that loves petroliana and coke signs and that's about it."

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that the above statement is true. That being said why not suspend the sale of the sign on this website and cancel your ebay auction until you know for sure one way or another as to the origin of this sign?

Just my two cents.

I offer quart can re-lidding, can rolling, lid stamping, and dent removal.
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I can't believe no one has mentioned the glaring evidence that makes this sign suspect.
Look at the "M" and "S" in Motor oils. These are computer generated. Why is the "S" in Motor oils different than the one in Gasoline? Those two letters are from a style (font) that was created in the 1950's. or 1960's. Definately too new to be correct on your sign.
I won't say your sign is a fake without seeing it in person but I will say it isn't an authentic original.

ROD [Mich.]
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Tee Tee....I agree!

end the auction.... now that absolutely no one on here has told you that it is 'real'..and if you can get your money back then I'd be doing it!

I'm pretty sure you've learned alot over this...

J
jgoff Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
I called the auction house and told them to contact the consigner so i could get my money back if it is a fake.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
yet it is still for sale on Ebay....

'if it is a fake'....IF

Alot of guys have commented on giving you the benefit of the doubt on the whole 'honesty' thing....

I have not ... and probably will not make that comment since you continue to list it on Ebay and you are still in denial that the sign is fake!

'IF' ....come on ....it's fake.

If somebody did the 'buy it now' on Ebay....would you sell it to them after everything that has been said on here?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Good job

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
J
jgoff Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
I WILL DO THAT, THIS IS THE MOST INFO OR TALK ABOUT THE SIGN I HAVE HAD. I HAD THE AUCTION COMPANY GUARANTEE ME IS WHAT WAS THE REAL DEAL SO I THOUGHT IT WAS , ALSO ONE GUY THAT IS PRETTY GOOD WITH THIS SORT OF STUFF ALSO THOUGHT IT WAS THE REAL DEAL BECAUSE OF SOME OF THE MARKINGS ON THE EDGE OF THE SIGN THAT TAKES LIKE 50 YEARS TO FORM. SO MAYBE IT WAS AN OLD BLACK BLANK THE WAS REDONE OR SOMETHING I JUST DON'T KNOW. THE GUY WHO LOOKED AT IT SPECIALIZES IN COKE COLA NOT PETROLIANA THOUGH, HE SAID IF IT IS FAKE IT ONE OF THE BEST FAKES HE HAS EVER SEEN. I WILL TAKE IT OFF EBAY THOUGH UNTIL I KNOW FOR SURE. IT'S HARD TO TELL WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE A PIC OF THE SAME SIGN FROM THAT YEAR. THEY CHANGED FROM THE ORANGE THEY USED IN 1927 TO THE RED IN 1930 THAT I DO KNOW. BUT THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT BUDDY.

J
jgoff Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN THE SIGN FIRST OF ALL AND IT HARD TO TELL FROM PICTURES SECOND OF ALL. THESE ARE ALL OPINION'S AND I AM GOING TO TAKE IT OFF EBAY. I JUST HAVEN'T GOT AROUND TO DO IT. I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK OF ME REGARDLESS OF THE SITUATION. I THINK YOU SEEM LIKE A REAL LOW CHARACTER GUY THAT LIKES TO TALK SMACK ON PEOPLE YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW. WHY DON'T YOU KEEP YOUR RUDE COMMENTS TO YOURSELF AND WORRY ABOUT YOUR OWN BUSINESS BUDDY!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

Support the expenses of Oldgas.com. Thanks!

Copyright © 2024 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved