Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#47170 Thu Jan 22 2004 03:31 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Hey guys,got a q's for you e bay sellers.Ive sold alot on there and my last run of items we,re my first time glass was a factor.Three different customers,2 bought globes one bought 5 ad glass pieces all claimed it arrived broken.I singlely bubble wrapped,taped used packing peanuts the whole nine yards.Is this just a coincidence or is it an easy way for people to ask for a refund?any thoughts would greatly be appreciated. Mike

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#47171 Thu Jan 22 2004 03:32 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Did you insure your items?

#47172 Thu Jan 22 2004 03:39 PM
F
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
F
Mike... having done a bit of packing for shipments in my time, I find that if you double box, you have a better chance of it arriving in one piece. Make sure that the outside box is large enough to cushion the inner box with lots of peanuts or other packing material. Also insurance is money well spent.

------------------
Frank

Frank
#47173 Thu Jan 22 2004 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ASK YOUR BUYERS TO PROVE THEY ARE BROKEN. TELL THEM TO SEND YOU A PHOTO OF THE ITEM BEFORE YOU REFUND ANY MONIES. I WOULD ASSUME YOU INSURED YOUR SHIPMENTS OTHERWISE YOU COULD BE OUT OF LUCK.

DOC

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#47174 Thu Jan 22 2004 04:14 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
items were insured,do i make the claim or the buyer?thanks guys

#47175 Thu Jan 22 2004 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I BELIEVE YOU DO ONCE YOU PROVE TO THE SHIPPER THAT THE ITEM WAS BROKEN. IT'S A TRICKY PROCESS BASED ON WHETHER OR NOT THEY
SIGNED FOR IT AND THEN FOUND CONCEALED DAMAGE. WHATEVER THE CASE MAY BE - THE BUYER SHOULD HOLD ONTO ALL BOXES, PACKAGING AND OF COURSE THE ITEM. THEY SHOULD THEN GET IN TOUCH WITH THE SHIPPER AND ASK THEM TO COME AND DO AN INSPECTION TO DETERMINE THE OUTCOME OF THE CLAIM. IF YOU DID INDEED INSURE THE ITEMS, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO PROVE THEIR NET VALUE AS I THINK THAT YOU'LL BE RE-IMBURSED FOR SHIPPING TOO. TAKE IT SLOW A THINK
IT OUT, HELP THE BUYER IF NEED BE.
DON'T AGITATE THEM.
I GOT A BF GOODRICH SIGN LAST YEAR FROM A SELLER ON EBAY AND IT ARRIVED FOLDED IN HALF! I REFUSED IT AND THE SELLER WAS REFUNDED THE AMOUNT I PAID FOR THE SIGN...HENCE A COMPLETE REFUND POSTAGE AND ALL....AMEN!

DOC

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#47176 Thu Jan 22 2004 04:31 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
thanks Doc!!!!!!!!!

#47177 Thu Jan 22 2004 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I always tell the seller to file the claim, and refund my money right away. You'll have to get the paperwork filled out, then send it to the buyer. The buyer will have to take the broken items and ALL packing material to their post office. If the postal service thinks it wasn't packed well they will deny the claim. If they approve the claim they will eventually give you the money. Either the buyer or seller can initiate the claim process but it is really the sellers obligation to make sure the customer gets his money.

My guess is your packaging wasn't very good since everything was broken.

Many of the globes I buy are shipped USPS or UPS. I prefer USPS because they don't break as much stuff.

Many of the globes come with high risk packaging. I'll explain the proper way to pack.

Capco globes can be shipped assembled. Some lenses fit kind of sloppy in repro bodies so those should be dis-assembled. Lenses should always be removed from glass bodies unless they are caulked in.
Wrap each lens in bubble wrap. I like to see a couple layers. Then run another layer at 90 degrees to the first couple of layers. Tape a big X all the way around the lens. Sometimes you need another tape X inbetween the first X. Do this with each lens, then tape the two wrapped lenses together. At this point you'll have bundle 16 or 17 inches by 6 or 8 inches thick. Place the lenses in a big box with at least 2 inches of styro peanuts all around, top and bottom. Glass bodies should be wrapped and boxed the same way. Place the big box in a bigger box with at least 2 inches of styro peanuts all around, top and bottom. You can usually get the lens box and the body box in the same bigger box. I like to add a layer of cardboard in the bottom and top of the outer box. When its all packed shake the box. If you feel the contents move at all you need more styro peanuts.

Its a shame when any original globe gets broken. There is no reason for globes to get broken in shipping. Sometimes the carrier abuses the packages and causes breakage, but from what I've seen most problems are caused by poor packaging. Many sellers under achieve when it comes to packaging.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#47178 Thu Jan 22 2004 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great points Bob.....................Scott

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
#47179 Thu Jan 22 2004 06:07 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I bot a globe and had to fight him for insurance.. Package arrived, and I turned it right side up to open. Well, you should have heard the sickening sound of broken glass inside... Immedietly took to P.O., unopened.. Opened in front of them, Not packed well at all for what it was.. They gave me the form to fill out and then they sent it to the seller and kept the package and globe. Said it would take 6-8 weeks..
Oh well. Just have to wait.. Jerry

Regards ....
Jerry J .....
#47180 Thu Jan 22 2004 06:42 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
i was talking to a guy one day & he was packaging up some delicates to ship off. he was making a TEE-PEE on one side of the box. i asked what he was doing? he said he delivered packages for years & this way the package ends up on top of any pile, or put on a shelf. --- i thought thats got its good & bad points. ------ but it makes sense!

maybe a good tip?!!

#47181 Fri Jan 23 2004 06:29 AM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
deleted

[This message has been edited by bettin (edited 08-22-2005).]

#47182 Fri Jan 23 2004 06:37 AM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
deleted

[This message has been edited by bettin (edited 08-22-2005).]

#47183 Fri Jan 23 2004 08:06 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
thanks Ron and the rest of you for the great tips.Im waiting on pics to view these broken items to make sure they are.i spent a small fortune in bubble wrap and peanuts to ensure these items arrived safely.%*&$ Mike

#47184 Fri Jan 23 2004 10:57 AM
K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
In some of the larger communities, UPS has established a packaging, crating, and shipping service. The service is a bit spendy, but the way I see it, if breakage does occur they have no recourse but to stand behind their own service. I also avoid placing FRAGILE or HANDLE WITH CARE on packages. Doing so tends to invite mischievous individuals to attempt breakage. In my opinion, UPS does not provide special handling procedures based on labeling.

George
George.Lee@midwayschools.com
701-520-9580
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved