Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#47185 Fri Jan 23 2004 11:13 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Very good advice , we all should know now..

If those guys have a breakage claim against the guy that started this thread, they should be able to send a pic to him pretty quick, make sure your package is shown in the pics.

Koolmotor..if you dont mark it fragile, I can just imagine what they will say when you try to file a claim, might be tough. I agree though some disgruntled employee may take their frustration out against the company.

We should print up the above instructions and use them in a claim case..say its the industry norm.. only way to do it.
I know when I tried to ship a glass cylinder a while back they were saying things like " Unless it is in an original manufacters packing we will not honour a claim".. to which I promptly replied, "If you think You cannot deliver this without breaking it, I dont want to use your services!"
Some shippers only want to ship easy stuff, I imagine every package I ship as tumbling down an airport baggage chute and carousel, Because I know It will get treated like that or WORSE!!..dodogas

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#47186 Fri Jan 23 2004 11:16 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I have had bad luck with all shippers, If you pack according to their fin print directions it is not always sufficient. I have had several claims and had mediocre results. Your best bet is to take it to a shipping service and make them package it. That way when it is broken, even if the claim is denied (and it will be, bet on it) then the shipper will have to reimburse you no matter what. I bought a visible cylinder off ebay a few years back and the fellow promissed me he could pack it well enough. I fought with him tooth and nail till he agreed to let his shipper pack it even though I said I would pay the extra money. Well it didnt even get here all I got was a slip of paper saying it was destroyed in transit. I sent him to his shipper to get a refund and they told him it was not packed right so no refund! He remindedd them that they packed it and showed his reciept. He had his money that day!.......Good Luck everyone your going to need it. They can break a double boxed anvil!......Les

#47187 Fri Jan 23 2004 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Your exactly right Les...Get the shipper to insure and pack...if you pack and send with UPS the FIRST thing out of their mouth is YOU didn't pack it well enough...

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
#47188 Fri Jan 23 2004 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ron was right when he said:
if your afraid to push your finished package off a shelf 6-8 feet high, you haven't done a good enough job packing.

I was told UPS criteria for packaging is that it has to withstand a 35# object falling on it from a height of three feet. The packaging has to be able to withstand that on each side.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#47189 Fri Jan 23 2004 08:48 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Heres another thing may help, take a pic with a current newspaper so you can establish that you had an intact item, ie cylinder or globe. You dont need to see the date , you can usually tell by the headlines.

Now if the buyer claims breakage get him to do the same..just to be sure. If they will not I would be worried. You could have smashed your own globe or got the pieces of a broken one..and bought another to replace it.. then when it gets there a claim could be filed. I dont think many people would stoop that low but with the amount of sellers passing off repro stuff with a concocted story.. anything is possible..

If it broke they have to document it and the package will show that something happened. One thing I usually do if there is any dings or tiny holes in a cardboard box I use for shipping, I outline the outside of a hole or tear with black marker.. then any holes that are not outlined are obviously new damage. Might help if you got a claim. Also take pics of your packing on hi-$ items before you close the box, if it gets severely damaged they may repack it and tell you it wasnt good enough. Also if it crosses a border, gets inspected, they may not reclose it the same way (this can be a real big problem) Keep in mind, Trucks roll and planes crash and sometimes they do both and end up in water..hate to think about it!!..dodogas

#47190 Sat Dec 18 2004 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just bringing this to the top so everyone can see the proper way to pack a globe.

As a seller I've never had any breakage. As a buyer I've had a few problems. My experience is UPS is cheaper but they do more damage. USPS is better, but expensive.

MOST damage is caused by POOR PACKAGING.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved