Next Thread
Print Thread
#48472 Tue Nov 08 2005 09:25 PM
W
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
W
I wanted to know if any one here had tried screen printing there own decals ad glass. There are some decal and glass that are not reproduced that i would like to do. I ordered a video and a book and am going to check it out

ward

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#48473 Tue Nov 08 2005 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've never done it, but I've watched it done. I used to work at Libbey Glass, where they made decorated drinking glasses. The silk screen is stretched over a wood frame, and a transparency is used, with a UV lamp, to "develop" the portion of the pattern that will stay solid. The positive image is then washed out, leaving only the screen matrix and no occlusive material.

The 'paint' came in waxy chunks, and it was basically colored ceramic powder mixed with wax. It was melted, put on the screen, and a squeegee was used to push it against the glass. The glass was then fired in an oven, and the process was repeated with a different screen for each color.

It was pretty neat to watch. I don't think it would be too hard at all if you could get hold of the materials.

Wes

#48474 Wed Nov 09 2005 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ward:

The actual process isn't that hard - it's just the costs involved in the process that make it un-feasible for onesy-twozies.

As Wes mentioned, you need the actual silk-screen unit, a separate screen for each color on your art. Someone to create the art (and the separations) for each color. A film 'positive' at 100% for each color. And all the necessary chemicals & colors. The actual 'firing' process isn't necessary for ad glass since it doesn't need to be 'slumped' like a globe lens does.

Once you add all these variables into the mix - it becomes too expensive for a single pump or two.

That being said, I make custom ad glass for any brand using a digital decal applied to double-strength glass. Or,if there is enough room, you can 'sandwich' the unmounted decal between two pieces of 'single strength' glass and you can't tell the difference from a silk-screened piece.

If I can help you in any way, contact me thru our web site.

Later . . .

Jim

------------------
www.T-waysGraphics.com

#48475 Mon Nov 14 2005 03:58 PM
R
R
I am planning to screen the lenses for my Phillips 77 aero, in the near future.

I hope

Propwash 16XS
A quaint little drinking
community,
with a serious flying
problem.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved