Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
eshaver #485284 Tue Oct 15 2013 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Selling stuff on here is always a touchy subject.
I buy and sell to FUEL my collection of Mobil and Sinclair items. Without that i am a sitting duck and cant afford to collect.

Now for the sellers.
There are some on here that i just ignore when i see they have stuff for sale. Reputation is everything and some just have a bad one.

I have been lucky enough to find a few estate collections lately and buy them fairly and sell them fairly. This has helped me tremendously as i am able to afford what i like. I like to feel that sometime i help the next collector that is looking for that item that doesnt fit my collection.

As for selling, people will always have differences of opinion on how it "Should" be done. Sometimes i just like to move stuff quick and get it gone. I have people contact me and offer me less on an item and sometimes if they are buy enough other stuff i help them out and get rid of it. I never worry about someone else making some more $$ on the item then i did. If so i would consider myself a "Picker" (which i dont), i am a collector and all of us at one point in time will sell an item.

This site is a great place to meet people in the same hobby as you. I just met John this week and bought some stuff from John and didnt ask to change the price. If you like it and can afford it go for it if, if it isnt really over priced.

One pet-pev of mine is that when someone says they will take an item and they dont follow through. It has happened to me a few times on here. Please just keep your word and follow through or dont make the offer.

So next time i see an item or a person selling that i think is unfairly priced or a person that has a Bad Rep, i just click on to the next page.

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
mcguffeyd1 #485290 Tue Oct 15 2013 02:46 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I've been picking for 45 years. The "T.V.Pickers" and all the other wannabes on here need to gain personal experience. Not just use this site to profit. John, I understand how you feel and am sorry. I, on the other, hand plan on staying around and being a pain for the "truly clueless" who venture to this site. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Last edited by gasmansgp; Tue Oct 15 2013 02:52 PM.
gasmansgp #485312 Tue Oct 15 2013 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
there are so many good points and opinions here that an open person will have to appreciate .....however there are a few others in this world who are very narrow and set in their ways , you will never please them.....i am a natural born collector and some of these negative nellies will call me a horder.......then when i sell some of this stuff that i pay way to much for. then i'm linning my pockets ..LOL wow wow wow ..yet when they gouge you in whatever proffession they may be in, its perfectly fine and normal....there seems to be a double standard, much hypocrisy's, jealousies, just like real life.LOL....
.....there is no winning with these people and personnaly i could careless...in most cases they have never met you and have never done a deal with you, however they sure have many opinions about you..LOL...these are absolutely some of the worst...if i choose to do this as a business, its mine, not your's and if you attack me for it, be prepared to hear my opionions also..i will be man enough to defend myself and not let anybody else control my life........

..............Jim P. said it very well

::::Every group has different kinds of people. Your local community, your employer, church or other organization undergoes change all the time. Most of us learn to pick out the people we like to associate with and those who we avoid.

I've evolved to distance myself from the takers, the self-centered people who care little about the next guy, the hobby or the community. I have tried at times, but I've learned that it is near impossible to change most people, especially the irregular ones that don't seem to fit in right anywhere.

So pick the people who you want to interact with because of compatibility or necessity. Ignore the posts by people who annoy you. When someone breaks the forum rules, click the "Notify" button to tell the moderators.

Don't let takers steal the enjoyment of your relationship with the good folks and the hobby.

roadrelics #485357 Tue Oct 15 2013 07:30 PM
C
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
C
Great comments, and fun to read.

Craig
Craig Osbeck #485372 Tue Oct 15 2013 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
All Im saying is that the shows have brought about many many "pickers" I'm not saying that they weren't around before. But maybe I shouldn't be talking........I don't have the experience you veterans on OldGas have. I really appreciate all the posts from the veterans on here because these are the people to look up to and greatly respect from a person in my position who is 18. I look up to all you older guys on here and you all have really helped me with Gas and Oil knowledge, collecting, and history.

Braden Splichal

bsplichal95 #485457 Wed Oct 16 2013 08:59 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Originally Posted By: bsplichal95
All I look up to all you older guys on here and you all have really helped me with Gas and Oil knowledge, collecting, and history.

I agree. And I also agree with all the other posts above. The main reason why I buy and sell stuff is so I can stay in the hobby, like mcguffeyd1 said. I am not one of t hose "pickers" who comes here just to buy and sell. I love looking at what other people get in the BOTW, and seeing pictures of all the shows, all the info of the companies, and items I haven't seen. Without this site, I would have never been able to be in the hobby, or learn about all the repro's, and I wouldn't have heard of MI gas, or any of the shows. That's all I have to say.

Thanks
Noah

Looking for any cans! PM me what ya got!
Gas globe guy #485520 Wed Oct 16 2013 01:09 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Of course my post gets removed. But it's OK for others to rag on one of the Ways I make an income and plently of others as well. Thanks for making this one sided Moderators

Always looking for Mint oil cans. Esp Aviation and Outboard Oil Cans and pumps. Looking fot Cheerwine signs!
Perdue31 #485536 Wed Oct 16 2013 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can see JJs point and agree with some but not all comments in this thread. The site has changed. Parts for the better, parts not so much so. A lot of people used Old Gas to network with friends and joke around. A lot of people probably don't know what happens when something gets "Jarvised" or a lot of other stuff that went on here before their time. I also think Jim is running the site the way it should be ran. Everyone gets a chance to contribute and if they abuse their privilege they can have their post removed or their use of the site restricted. Change happens with everything in life. Some of the old timers no longer post because they are no longer with us. Some sold off their collection and moved on to other interest. Some get tired of the bickering and avoid the site. People will always be coming into and leaving the hobby. I think Jim has bent over backwards to try to make the site good for everyone but we all know you can not please everyone all of the time. Perhaps the reply to Johns original post would be, if you don't like it, make your own site. Not trying to be negative but you/ we can very easily set up an "Old Petro" site on facebook. Its free and the program is already there and a lot of Old Gassers are already on FB. That would be your site, your rules and members allowed on your site by you giving them permission only. If you don't like their actions, delete them! There is some stuff on Old Gas I skip right over as I do not want to waste my time on it or get my BP up over something that is gone with the click of a mouse. I enjoy OG, I check on it a couple times a day, at home and on my phone. It is still a good place to network, pass on info and keep your fingers on pulse on the hobby. I also check the Cheese site but maybe only once a month or so. I was on OG first and it just seems more familiar. Some of the "Pickers" everyone is always talking about are in it only for the money. A lot of the true collectors buy stuff for their collection with their disposable income. When I look at the excel sheet with my inventory and prices paid on it, I think of what all else I could have done with the money instead. I could buy a small starter house in some areas with what I have invested. Others could buy a mansion. And maybe the pickers that everyone wants to knock are doing it as their only source of income or are doing it just to put food on the table. Maybe bad for the hobby but maybe their way to feed their kids. Some do dig stuff up and get it in the collector circle that other wise would be sitting in a forgotten shed someplace. Others just want to be flippers and make a buck. Maybe the ultimate picker, Mr B, buys stuff for the Barrette Jackson auctions. From what I have seen, he is willing to pay a fair price for nice stuff and a lot of it sells for crazy big money at the auctions. I myself see him as an asset to the hobby. While he does remove some stuff from the affordable collectibles market, he is getting more people with ca$h money interested. When it is time to sell my collection, I hope those same big money people are at the sale. The hobby takes all kinds of people and a lot of hobbies have the same issues. I try to keep my Old Gas experience positive, try to post some positive and helpful stuff and try to skip over the negatives. The site to me is what I let it be. So John, if you do set up your own facebook page for petro people, let me know as I would like to join it as well as stay on OG. Hope to see you at the shows.
Thanks Jim for keeping the lights on

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Wes Maxwell #485552 Wed Oct 16 2013 03:21 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
People should not talk ***** about pickers on here PERIOD. You do not see any pickers on here talking ***** about salesman, car dealers, construction works, or whatever the hell people do to make ends meet do you??? HELL NO! So all of you who talk ***** about pickers should not run your mouth about us and not expect us to take it personal. I do not know about all of you on here, but I was raised to take pride in what I do. And if someone talks ***** about it, by all means I am going to stand up for what I do. If you do not like it, then TOUGH S***!

Always looking for Mint oil cans. Esp Aviation and Outboard Oil Cans and pumps. Looking fot Cheerwine signs!
Perdue31 #485555 Wed Oct 16 2013 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Easy, Perdue. Take a deep breath....Personally, I have no problems with pickers and as the moderator of the Values Section, I think that info can be helpful. there are several memebers on this site that dislike the Values section. It is something that has changed the site over the years.

I will express an opinion here, I think what some of the folks dislike about the pickers is they see this site as primarily and originally for collectors. Even though most of us have bought and sold items...most of still primarily collect. Although many of them used to buy Wayne 60s for $100 and they wouldn't sell them for that little today....a good many bought for the enjoyment. Personally, I think there is room on this site for everyone, some people will resent those pickers whose primary goal is to make $$. Again, personally I don't care how someone makes their $$$ as long as it is legal and ethical.

Last edited by Alex; Wed Oct 16 2013 03:42 PM.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Perdue31 #485556 Wed Oct 16 2013 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This has always been a Collectors Forum & Yes all collector do sell some items for whatever reason at some point.

Wes Maxwell #485559 Wed Oct 16 2013 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Originally Posted By: Wes Maxwell
I can see JJs point and agree with some but not all comments in this thread. The site has changed. Parts for the better, parts not so much so. A lot of people used Old Gas to network with friends and joke around. A lot of people probably don't know what happens when something gets "Jarvised" or a lot of other stuff that went on here before their time. I also think Jim is running the site the way it should be ran. Everyone gets a chance to contribute and if they abuse their privilege they can have their post removed or their use of the site restricted. Change happens with everything in life. Some of the old timers no longer post because they are no longer with us. Some sold off their collection and moved on to other interest. Some get tired of the bickering and avoid the site. People will always be coming into and leaving the hobby. I think Jim has bent over backwards to try to make the site good for everyone but we all know you can not please everyone all of the time. Perhaps the reply to Johns original post would be, if you don't like it, make your own site. Not trying to be negative but you/ we can very easily set up an "Old Petro" site on facebook. Its free and the program is already there and a lot of Old Gassers are already on FB. That would be your site, your rules and members allowed on your site by you giving them permission only. If you don't like their actions, delete them! There is some stuff on Old Gas I skip right over as I do not want to waste my time on it or get my BP up over something that is gone with the click of a mouse. I enjoy OG, I check on it a couple times a day, at home and on my phone. It is still a good place to network, pass on info and keep your fingers on pulse on the hobby. I also check the Cheese site but maybe only once a month or so. I was on OG first and it just seems more familiar. Some of the "Pickers" everyone is always talking about are in it only for the money. A lot of the true collectors buy stuff for their collection with their disposable income. When I look at the excel sheet with my inventory and prices paid on it, I think of what all else I could have done with the money instead. I could buy a small starter house in some areas with what I have invested. Others could buy a mansion. And maybe the pickers that everyone wants to knock are doing it as their only source of income or are doing it just to put food on the table. Maybe bad for the hobby but maybe their way to feed their kids. Some do dig stuff up and get it in the collector circle that other wise would be sitting in a forgotten shed someplace. Others just want to be flippers and make a buck. Maybe the ultimate picker, Mr B, buys stuff for the Barrette Jackson auctions. From what I have seen, he is willing to pay a fair price for nice stuff and a lot of it sells for crazy big money at the auctions. I myself see him as an asset to the hobby. While he does remove some stuff from the affordable collectibles market, he is getting more people with ca$h money interested. When it is time to sell my collection, I hope those same big money people are at the sale. The hobby takes all kinds of people and a lot of hobbies have the same issues. I try to keep my Old Gas experience positive, try to post some positive and helpful stuff and try to skip over the negatives. The site to me is what I let it be. So John, if you do set up your own facebook page for petro people, let me know as I would like to join it as well as stay on OG. Hope to see you at the shows.
Thanks Jim for keeping the lights on

Very well said!
I have no problems with pickers,except those that sell me something,and then become to busy to bother with shipping it,even after I paid for it!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Dick Bennett #485560 Wed Oct 16 2013 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don't have any problem with pickers per se but some that have joined here don't seem to get it. If you have something for sale put a fair price on it and see if it sells, I watched one sign that started at $1200 and was bumped over and over and finally sold for around $300, it was laced with overblown descriptions the whole time. If you come on here please give the members the respect that they deserve. I haven't been on here as long as some but I'm here for the love of the hobby, not to make money off it.

Neil Gerrard #485562 Wed Oct 16 2013 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IMO,
Oldgas needs to Require a 10% Fee of asking price before an item can be posted in any For Sale/Trade Forum, But that puts more work on Jim & at a certain point he'd have to Report all sales over $XXX to the IRS. NO FREE RIDES.

Most members have less than 1% of their post's/reply's in the For Sale Forums. Other members have More than 99% of their post's/reply's in For Sale Forums.

Perdue31 #485570 Wed Oct 16 2013 04:47 PM
I've have worked in the car business over 40 years. The people who didn't talk to and treat potential customers with respect didn't last long. Employees, managers and owners who treated people poorly couldn't keep it up too long and they were out.

It amazes me how a few non-collector sellers don't respect the audience of folks who read their posts. I think most people are like me in that they don't want to deal with a seller talking trash, running others down or not knowing what he's doing. True, if a serious collector wants an item enough at a fair price, he might make a deal with the devil, but most buyers want to avoid the self-centered drama surrounding those who put money ahead of people and the hobby.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved