Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#488020 Sun Oct 27 2013 08:23 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hey Oldgassers,

I recently moved into a MUCH more rural area than I was living in. Between driving back and forth to work, and just enjoying the countryside on the weekends, I have noticed a LOT of residences out here with signs and pumps and other pieces of petroliana outside.

My question is, how wise is it to go talk to these individuals about their involvement in the hobby? Not so much to buy/sell/trade, just as in to strike up conversation on a similar interest?

I think a couple of these places have up a gate or the like, but no "No Trespassing" signs, as this would be an obvious answer to my question.

I only ask because I don't know if there would be a sense of "paranoia" or someone thinking I am being too intrusive?

Thanks

Eddy Smith
Call or Text: 678-232-4637
E-mail: eddysmithjr@gmail.com
Always looking for pump plates or small signs!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Try mailing a nice card introducing yourself and noting your interest(s). I myself am reluctant to drive onto someone's property any more. Things just aren't like they used to be. Or you can do a search and find phone numbers (if they still happen to have a land line.)

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Like Dave said, put a friendly note on their mailbox with your phone number. Dont say anything about buying if that is even at all what your looking for. Just that you love to talk oil and gas and who knows where it could go. Hopefully the phone will ring and you will make a new friend or two.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Excellent idea! I hadn't thought of that. I'm not interested in buying. My thing is I am only 25. I have loved this hobby for 3 years, but never had a regular physical contact that shares my interests and could maybe educate me.

For the last year I have backed away from buying a lot just to read and learn. I want to get back in to going to the shows and stuff. So after seeing some of these barn and building displays I gotta imagine I can learn a thing or two.

My question is, if I put something in their mailbox, is that illegal? I know there are a lot of federal laws about mail, and I'd HATE to annoy them so they call the cops for mail fraud or something. Yes. I have that dumb luck.

Eddy Smith
Call or Text: 678-232-4637
E-mail: eddysmithjr@gmail.com
Always looking for pump plates or small signs!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You have to just go up to the door and knock if you are able.Taking along a woman eases some peoples anxiety. I have rarely had someone phone me after I left a note. Get the names from the property tax records(most are online search by map)and phone numbers off the internet. Phone between 6 pm and 8 pm. See what happens. Do this several times and you may find a technique that works for you.Good luck and keep us posted.

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
That last question is interesting. I always wondered why flyers and business cards were tucked into my screen door rather than in my mailbox.

Last edited by ironheadtom; Mon Oct 28 2013 06:42 AM.
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
"ON" the mail box. Not "in". Or if they have one of the newspaper boxes along side.
I've had solicitors rubber band flyers to my mailbox flag also.
Cuz yes, I believe it is a federal crime of some kind to put something in it.

Last edited by Steve C.; Mon Oct 28 2013 06:51 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Federal offense! My mailman took some medicine someone left in our box came back a few days later in an envelope with postage due!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Eddy, nice seeing you back.

I approach people all the time on a "cold approach" (never having met the person before) I've never had anyone get angry or offended because I approached them or their property.

I park in the drive and walk straight to the door and if no answer then I leave my business card behind.

Likewise, I have at least one new (not known) person a day stop by my place. I don't like snoopy people or people wandering around on my property other then that I always have/make time for other collectors.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Agree with Dave, on the "cold approach". Always be very polite, and don't look like a bum. My wife goes with me a lot of the time, she can spot stuff I don't see because I'm driving. Last major score of 11 signs, she saw a Sunoco pole sign, leaning up against a tree in tall grass. I've bought most of my pumps from seeing them, and stopping to ask about them.

Always looking for Standard Oil of Indiana, or any globes!
Buddy Koehrn

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved