Next Thread
Print Thread
#4955 Sat Apr 01 2006 08:36 AM
G
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Any Bulko collectors out there? I was going thru some of my papers today and ran across this. I bid on a Bulko gas patch in 2000 was out bid by the grand daughter of the founder. I ask for some info on the company and this is what she sent me.

My grandfather, Joseph Leonard Stone Sr. founded the Bulk Petroleum Corporation in the late 19-teens or early twenties. He opened his first independent gas station on Ontario st in Chicago, right about where the Hard Rock Cafe is now.

The logo was a golden-yellow elephant with it's trunk raised in a blue triangle. On the elephant's back was draped a banner with a stylized "B" which I believe was red with gold fringe. His stations were different from others of the time as he did not have mechanics or do any kind of auto repair. He strickly sold gasoline & associated products.

Most of the stations were on the south side of Chicago. His corporate offices were on North Ashland Ave, but I don't remember the cross street. I'd know it if I saw it though.

In 1962 he sold the company to Gulf Oil for $14 million. Most of the stations were either sold, as they did not have service bays, and were either torn down or sold off to single station operators. At the time he sold Bulko, he owned 38 or 39 stations.

Last I knew, which was about 15 or so years ago, the Bulk Petroleum Corporation still existed on paper & has a PO Box.

My father relates a story about during prohibition in the 20's some of the local bootleggeers, headed by Al Capone & Co, wanted to store liquor in his big gas storage tanks. My grandfather refused_and lived.

Hope you find this interesting. Richard

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#4956 Sun Apr 02 2006 07:29 PM
N
Nik Offline
N
Thanks for the story Richard. Hearing cool details like that make the hobby that much more intersting. 14 mil in 1962 would have been quite a chunk of change.

Nik

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved