Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#49925 Mon Mar 06 2006 08:18 AM
J
OP Offline
J
I was recently at a local dump here in texas, and saw an old looking sign in the bottom of an old aluminum feed bin that had been dumped.i pulled it out to find a mobiloil sign that is 2 sided and says "ask here for gargoyle mobiloil" it has a metal ring around the edge of the sign,and i was told it needed to have a raised letter feel to it to be original, which it does,with only a few dings ..i could only find a repo of the same sign on antiqnet.com.......could anyone help me with the possible age of this sign,and why the metal ring around the edge???? thank you

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
The metal ring would have attached to a pole and a base to form a free standing sign about 4 feet tall. They are called curb signs as in signs you could set out on the curb to advertise the oil you that was being sold. Great find. Depending on the shape many collectors would love to have it.

------------------
Scott
Wanted- Powerine and Powerlube items!

Scott
Wanted- Powerine and Powerlube items!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
THE METAL RING AROUND THE EDGE WAS SO THAT THE 'FRAME" @THE THE 6 O'CLOCK MARK (THE BOTTOM) COULD BE SCREWED INTO A PIPE WHICH SCREWED INTO A HEAVY CAST BASE AND WOULD SIT CURBSIDE TO ADVERTISE. I WOULD GUESS YOUR SIGN TO BE FROM THE 20'S OR 30'S AND WAS COMMONLY REFERRED TO AS A "LOLLIPOP" STYLE SIGN. GREAT FIND! WELCOME TO OLDGAS.COM!

~DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGES

[This message has been edited by THE AMERICAN GARAGE (edited 03-06-2006).]

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
J
OP Offline
J
THAK YOU VERY MUCH "THE AMERICAN GARAGE" IT DOES HAVE 2 SCREW HOLES AT 6"OCLOCK ...

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved