Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
swaz602 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello. I just got a Tokheim 39 Short dated (I think) 8-48. It was restored to Blue Sunoco around 1985. The paint job was not the best and is now peeling. I disassembled it today and took the skins to be stripped. I want to keep the pump outside, so I'm going to have it powdercoated and restored to Texaco. While the pump is apart, I'm going to clean the computer and clean some minor rust from the frame.

Here are my questions (for now):

1) From pictures I've seen, the frame and internal bracketry look like they are primed in brown. Is this correct?

2) How do you set the gas price on these pumps? I can't get the dials to move.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WELCOME TO OLDGAS
I haven't seen any that were primered in brown, but a lot were primered w/ red [maybe yours is a cooked red, from Az. Heat!].

Soak the Veeder Root in 5 gal bucket of Simple Green for a couple of days. Price is set inside the drum underneath, sheet metal cover should slide around to access the setting pins.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I just finished a short Tok. 39 and am in the middle of working on a tall 39.

1. The frame on both of mine were originally red.
2. The lower half of your computer ( the round part that looks like a can ) should rotate giving you access to the adjustment pins or levers to set the price. However you may need to hose the whole thing down with penetrating oil to free all the gears and linkage up. Both of mine were frozen up but with a good bath of WD-40 and then a wash down with Simple Green and water everything started working just fine.

All else fails contact Joe Yocom ( jkyocom ) He is the V.R. computer wizard on this forum! crazy

Welcome and enjoy! grin

North on Route 66,

East on Gas Alley.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This is a picture of the lower half of the V.R. computer with the can removed so you can see the adjustments.

100_1937.jpg

North on Route 66,

East on Gas Alley.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Psst...Dick makes real nice decals for your computer that show how to set the dials. wink

100_2050.jpg

North on Route 66,

East on Gas Alley.
S
swaz602 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the info. Mine is blue inside but I figured someone had painted the frame along with the blue exterior. I thought I had seen some pictures with what looked like reddish brown primer on the inside.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The variator is actually the brain of your computer. That is where ALL the calculating is done.
The range arms transfer the action of the cone gear to the cluster on top.
All three gearing systems; 10 cent, 1 cent 9/10 cent, take their info from the cone and simultaniously rotate the cluster.
All three calculations converge at the top gear.....it is an amazing setup that has NEVER been improved on since 1932 because it has never needed it.
Mechanical computers still use the same setup but w/ 4 range arms ...a 4th to accomidate the "dollar" mode.

This is WHAT & HOW you get w/ 4 revolutions of the cone gear., at a 42 9/10 setting

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You would need a 1945...possibly a 49 decal
Post a pic of the spring side of your computer and I can tell you what year it was introduced.

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
S
swaz602 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I will post pics as soon as I can. The lower part is the type with the pins. I can get the gears to move somewhat but not enough to contact the cone gear. In fact, as i move the cent gear to the left and up (decreasing the amount) the arm hits one of the posts that hold the can together.

I should add that the computer is relatively clean and appears to be undamaged.

Last edited by swaz602; Thu Apr 15 2010 09:41 PM.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
If you post the serial number, I will be able to tell you what year your 39 was built, and possibly the month it was built.

If you would like to look at literature pertaining to your pump go to:

http://www.petrolianacollectibles.com/tokheim%20pumps.htm

If you think you might be in the market for another pump, be sure to have a copy of my book with you.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Forget working on the VR & pump & get the Fence built ! Pumps MULTIPLY faster than Rabbits & it Doesn't take a mating pair to get out of hand !
LOL

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The range arms need to be turned while raising or lowering.Where the range arm goes through the variator top plate could be stuck.
There are spring loaded pins under the price wheels that will stick too,keeping the wheels and arms from turning.
On the outside price wheels there are gears that can stick too.
That would be the F & B wheel on one side and the E & A on the other....C wheels are always in the center.
The price wheels could be stuck too.
If all that suff on top won't turn the range arms won't turn

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
S
swaz602 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Here are some photos of the computer and the pump ID plate:

Sorry for the bad cell phone pics. The information on the ID plate is hand-written and is as follows:

Model: 39
Type: LPA
Serial No.: 934962 8-48

Am I correct in assuming that the 8-48 is the date of manufacture?

Jack: Where can I get a copy of your book?

Last edited by swaz602; Fri Apr 16 2010 09:23 AM.
S
swaz602 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
LOL! I already have enough collections. All I need is to get hooked on something else!

Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Forget working on the VR & pump & get the Fence built ! Pumps MULTIPLY faster than Rabbits & it Doesn't take a mating pair to get out of hand !
LOL

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
It's wise to sink the fence a few feet into the ground as well. These pumps send out under ground runners like bamboo! crazy In less than 90 days my one turned into four, Maybe I'll try some Roundup grin
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
LOL

North on Route 66,

East on Gas Alley.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved