Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#5002 Wed Jul 19 2006 06:18 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A number of petroliana items in this estate I'm cleaning out are full & unopened. Is this good, bad or neither.

For instance, is a 60+ year old quart can of anti-freeze more marketable still full, or with the contents removed (from the underside, of course) ?

Basically, does contents matter?

"These are the times that try mens souls" - Thomas Paine
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#5003 Wed Jul 19 2006 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you are planning on selling the stuff, keep them full, and give the customer the option of full or empty. Many different cans can be re-lidded by our own "Professor Dick Bennett. So if you or the customer prefers (sp) empty, it can be draine, then re-lidded by him....

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
#5004 Thu Jul 20 2006 05:25 AM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I don't care if the cans I buy are empty or full. In fact I drain most all of my cans except for a few of the more rare ones. I do this for many reasons.
Weight being the most important. If you drop an empty can It will probably get a little ding. If you drop a full can it is going to be bad. I don't care at all about the contents. It's the graphics on the can that I care about and I think condition being the same an empty can will bring just as much as a full one. If someone tells me they found a Frontier can the last question (if it gets asked at all) is whether or not it's full. But I agree with Thunder about leaving cans full when you are going to sell them. Let the new owner deal with draining the can in the manner they feel is best. And then they have to deal with getting rid of the contents.
What do you other can guys think.

#5005 Thu Jul 20 2006 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When I sell cans I give the buyer the option of full or empty. Most always want them full but it really does not matter as you are buying the can not the contents. On that note, I usually keep my own cans full if possible as I like the feel of the full can.

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
#5006 Thu Jul 20 2006 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I cant get them emptied fast enough.

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#5007 Thu Jul 20 2006 08:16 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I agree with Rarin and Hubba. You might also want to check with your insurance company and the local fire codes as many have clauses about how much oil can be stored in a building. If I am buying a quart I feel the value is the same for a bottom drained quart as it is for a full quart, with that said when I sell a quart I nearly always get more for the full tins. Joe

#5008 Thu Jul 20 2006 09:59 AM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
A FULL can means much more to me than an empty..I love the feel of a full can and to know the oil was put in there by some long gone refinery and long gone person,gives it more meaning..I would never empty a can unless it is leaking...for instance, several years ago,I found a can from the ALADDIN refining corp. Borger Texas,,[with the magic lamp picture] it was still full, and I could not belive it, as back in the 50s I worked at a place next to the Aladdin refinery..my point is the old originsl oil in the can, makes it much more dear to me. An empty can would have been great, but it being full is fantastic. As far as the danger from the oil in the cans, I have my cans in the same shop building with sweveral old cars, motorbikes, 4 wheeler,power gen, power washer,ect, and I feel the gas in their tanks are more of a hazzard than the cans...PLEASE dont empty all the cans,,Thanks,,RD

R D
#5009 Thu Jul 20 2006 09:59 AM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I've found under heated / non heated conditions there is a condensation problem with full cans. I also think full cans actually implode [self dent].
I don't care if a can is full or not. I've emptied cans to push out dents and have used the oil in my oil burning mower.

ROD [Mich.]
#5010 Thu Jul 20 2006 02:08 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I also prefer full cans. I do have some empty cans, but I also upgrade whenever possible.With many Thanks to Butch and Wade!

#5011 Thu Jul 20 2006 03:50 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
A few years ago I emptied a few quarts from my collection & took the oil to Checkers for recycling. The manager took my oil & emptied it & brought my container back & said.."You must change your oil every week..that was the cleanest I've ever seen"

#5012 Fri Jul 21 2006 04:34 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I empty all of my quarts except for the ones that I am going to resale. I leave them full and let the buyer decide what he wants to do.

------------------
Scott Shipers
Kansas City, MO

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
#5013 Fri Jul 21 2006 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would only empty if the can was leaking. I like full if possible. Makes me feel like I got a better deal on a 100 dollar can if I get the extra 1.50 worth of oil in it!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

#5014 Fri Jul 21 2006 07:21 AM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Several of my "full" cans became only partly full over time and I just cleaned up a big mess on my shelves. Some collectors like the cans empty so they can remove dents by filling them with water and freezing them to "pop out" the dents. Lots of theories on this subject. Others like to kinda shrink-wrap the cans to prevent the spillage. Most folks I talk with prefer them full.

#5015 Fri Jul 21 2006 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well there you have it. Looks like it is clear as dirty oil. Looks like if you are going to resell let the buyer decide how they want it. If they are leaking drain them and if you are keeping them it is your decision.

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
#5016 Fri Jul 21 2006 02:14 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Hey R49th:

Must be Michigan, I have the same problem with some of my full cans. Polish them up and come back and look at them a couple years later, to find some dents that weren't in there before.

Doug

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved