Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I lose a tin sign every once in a while, even though its inside. Yesterday it was 35 degrees and today it was 65 and rainy. The signs act like a cold beer taken out of the fridge. Here is a rare Eveready flashlight thermo flaking away right before my eyes. I believe the moisture becomes trapped between the paint and poorly prepped metal surface. Blistering the paint. This has been discussed in the passed, but I thought a few more pics would help.

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's just depressing. I had some signs and auto parts developing surface rust where there should have been none until I read that acid can leach (I hope that is the correct term) from a nearby container and the vapors go to work.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Ouch, that is hard to look at. Your picture prove your case.
Now I ask what will you do to protect your collection.

H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Here is a link to the responses when this came up last year. Might help new people reading this understand what members had to say about this problem.
http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=64822&Number=406000#Post406000

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Heat is my only suggestion. Dont know if thats reasonable or even possible. I just know condensation like that is just as good as being directly outside. If its a small enough area and it has a window. I would invest in a window unit that has heat and ac. Probably could find one on craigslist in your area for 150.00.

Check out my finds at Mantiquities on Facebook!!!!

facebook.com/pages/Mantiquities/167580613447712
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thought you'd have a Climate Controlled Display Room, being on the East side!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Is it possible for you to keep garage a somewhat constant temperature ? seems like a condensation problem, signs get warmer during the day when your working or lights are on etc. then at night when air temp drops faster than signs are cooling = condensation. just a thought ??

Pete
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: 63shelby
Is it possible for you to keep garage a somewhat constant temperature ? seems like a condensation problem, signs get warmer during the day when your working or lights are on etc. then at night when air temp drops faster than signs are cooling = condensation. just a thought ??

lol, three people answered same thing as me faster than I could type !!

Pete
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
You just can not put a painted sign of any kind in an uncontrolled environment they will not last . I have some signs in my garage but they are all porcelain.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Since no one has suggested the obvious, I will-Some of us live in dry areas where the humidity is very low. I for one would be happy to take care of your collection! smile

C
C
Yep, you have to keep the garage or shop, warm, not hot, but even say 40degrees!
Good luck, sad to see sign gone like that!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not gradual changes in temp, but a sudden change from cold to warm will cause heavy condensation like that. Cold air is denser and can hold more moisture. When temp suddenly warms up the air can not hold the moisture and it is deposited onto metal. For example, unlined and not insulated trailers & metal buildings will sweat like crazy.

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Sat Jan 11 2014 05:35 PM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
That sucks man! I have the same problem. Had my garage wide open all day trying to dry it out. It isn't. My poor Camaro is in there soaked!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Keep the Cheby & send the signs to DRY Calif.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
It's not temperature as much as relative humidity control in most cases. Seal your building and put in a dehumidifier and a heater. During the cooler months put the space heater on lowest setting so you don't get wild fluctuations of temperature.

Set the humidity control on the dehumidifier based on what type of collection you have (mix of paper/wood/metal). Wood needs some humidity to keep from cracking but not so much that it will warp. Painted signs can handle lower overall humidity but react poorly to high swings in humidity.

Toy collectors often climate control their collections for the same reason as you demonstrate.

An interesting link on conservation of wood collections and relative humidity.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved