Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Last week it was -2 degrees for a couple days, within 24 hours the temperature jumped to 50 degrees, it was extreme but there is not much you can do about that situation but have a climate controlled building.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
How do these signs survive wherever they are for the last 100 years?
Any tin signs I get that are questionable, I clearcoat front and back, they are sealed and problem solved.

Still looking for that Union 76 ball
And I collect big old porcelain neon signs
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thermoman. I was at a guys house and he still keeps all his old tin outside in Kentucky. None having any rusting issues. He said he doesnt clear coat anything. Once a year he covers his signs and gas pumps in a mixture of lin seed oil and mineral spirits. It does leave a minor off white stain on white paint. But, he had the best condition tin signs outside I have ever seen.

Check out my finds at Mantiquities on Facebook!!!!

facebook.com/pages/Mantiquities/167580613447712
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Thermoman, your signs aren't deteriorating from inside out. Just look at the condensation on those thermometers!
Get to the root of the problem. What is causing all of that moisture? I have an insulated, but unheated garage. I do heat it when I work out there, but just get some moisture on the windows, but nothing like your photos.
I live in Vt and the temp fluctuates wildly. You shouldn't have that much moisture. Are you running a propane heater or hot water heater in there?
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
We have wild temp fluctuations here in the Northeast.
The key seems to be not opening up the structure on a day when the unheated structure is a temp wildly different from outside temp.
Which sucks.
But
If you don't introduce the 2 temps you don't seem to have issues.
It's a compromise situation but only in winter as,...in summer a dehumidifier takes the moisture out of the equation.

RIP Kiwi
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Agreed Bigfoot , Saturday was almost 60 degrees where I live , the day before in the 20s , I never opened my shop overhead doors that day . A well insulated building will do the trick as long as the doors are not raised during these drastic temp changes , had I opened the doors that day everything would have started the condensation process.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved