Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#508329 Sat Jan 25 2014 12:01 PM
marky Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
i want to paint the texaco globe in the middle of the pic from the cd it is from the 1920's-1930's what color do i paint it and does anyone have a paint code for it
thanks
mark

globes.jpg

collect jenney, independent oil co. , underhay oil co , valora motor oil and other massachusetts brands.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Leave it like it is.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I agree

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
In my opinion, this is a case where rust has gone beyond patina. But that is just my opinion. But I would only paint it if it can be done right. And that means removing the lenses, which may be very very risky, having it blasted properly and then painted and reassembled. It deserves to be done perfectly or leave it alone.
Just my 2 cents.
Sorry I can't help with paint code.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IMO worth more as is.

If you still want to paint it check the back of the gas pump restoration guide for SW paint codes

Last edited by Mike M.; Sat Jan 25 2014 01:07 PM.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
marky Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
my local paint sore does not do shewrwin williams # they use ppg and dupont

collect jenney, independent oil co. , underhay oil co , valora motor oil and other massachusetts brands.
marky Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
i told them the #'s in the pump restoration guide and they said nothing crossed

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Personally I would leave it alone Looks good just the way it is.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
marky Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
ok gonna leave it the way it is

Last edited by marky; Sat Jan 25 2014 01:47 PM.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Okay, here is a another alternative and it gives you a quest. Something to be on the look for. That frame is not doing any justice to those beautiful lenses!! But you could always be on the look out for an original paint frame that maybe has broken or bad lenses in it. Then you could swap these lenses into that frame.
Look, I am all about orignal!! I will take a nice original paint item over something repainted any day!! But there is not 1 square millimeter of paint left on that frame. And that lense is absolutley awesome looking!!!
Again, just some thoughts.

Steve Coppens
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
With what Steve said Mark one other thing you could do it age paint the frame.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
S
S
I have never seen a Texaco lens like these(the one in question), could you or anyone else guess how much a globe like this would be worth if one would be able to come across one as yours

Thanks

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I disagree Steve--I think the surface rust patina really accents that globe and gives it authority! That's a very tough look to duplicate, and I wouldn't change a thing!!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Original, original, original........

Check out my finds at Mantiquities on Facebook!!!!

facebook.com/pages/Mantiquities/167580613447712
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott Benjamins CD lists the globe as being made in 1927 to 1932 with a value of $2500 to $2500. A few years earlier, these were selling in the $4000 to $4500 range, but as more of them were found and the worlds inventory increased, the prices have gone down some. Still a great globe that is very hard to find, and looks tremendous sitting on a 6 foot computer type pump, or a visible!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Its a beauty. I think if i were of the mind to have it look as new as possible simply for display reasons. Before I would paint the original. I would bye a plastic casing and store the original ring.

Check out my finds at Mantiquities on Facebook!!!!

facebook.com/pages/Mantiquities/167580613447712
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Personally I would just sand it down and get a can of fast drying enamel spray paint for $3.00 and paint it red. It won't hurt the value and make it look much better. I usually leave them but when they look this rough I paint them. I know some people spend $200 and put a car finish on it but they never looked that good. My idea makes them look about what they looked like NOS and no better. I doubt there are 5 people that would know what the actual correct red would look like. Fire engine red or any regular red will work fine...Just my opinion. Scott B.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Really agree to not mess with it. But, for sure its yours. Bought and paid for. Still I have to put my .02 in. The Black T globe is old. It's done its hard time and survived. If you want to spend a bunch of money to make it look like new, take it to get blasted, ect. ect. Why wouldn't you just buy a new body and stick that one in the closet or up in the attic? Then rattle can and maybe take the new paint look off with some #000 steel wool. IMO- later on, you will be glad you didnt destroy the original. Too many people see that guy on TV completely destroy and devalue killer stuff- then claim its worth more when he gets done. So much of this has been taking place during the last few years,original items that havent been monkeyed with are getting harder to come by. No offense and its just my opinion, but take that Independent globe for example-the new paint just doesnt look right on it-to me.

Last edited by JimT; Sun Jan 26 2014 07:55 AM.
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
If you decide to change it, or get a repop frame and paint that in order to prserve the original, here it is with color. But to me this looks like a repaint itself. But who knows.
Whatever you do, please post pics once displayed!!

ScreenShot090.jpg

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Or if you want it painted and similar to Scott's idea Try to match what would have happened back when it sat on top of the pump at the station, the owner would have given one of the guys a brush, a can of paint and a ladder to go out and paint the globe!!

Last edited by Mike M.; Sun Jan 26 2014 11:43 AM.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
T
TC Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Hi Mark, it's your globe. But IMO the lenses look mint and the body distracts the globe. If the lenses were faded I'd say leave it as is. Nothing worse than putting mint lenses in an aged body. If those lenses were original to body then there would be some aging of some sort to the lenses. The lenses look like NOS from an attic and installed in a good used frame. If you have any Texaco signs you can have the red computer matched and put in a rattle can. I still sandblast my originals, primer and then rattle can them, used to spray them before but the price of materials and then you have to clean out the gun, its not worth it. If the lenses are worn I leave the body or find a compatible used one. As far as the independent goes, it would look better in a real red. Finally, IMO mint lenses on a mint body, worn lenses on an aged body. Ted

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My two cents is...Leave her original...another body or paint IMO would ruin its history...those lens are beautiful...Great find!!

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would leave it as is also , very nice globe that represents the past.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
I am surprised with the amount of people suggesting to not paint it. I agree 100%
I thought the majority of the members on this site were all in favor of restorations. I was wrong.
I believe in leaving original painted items as found and have zero interest in owning items restored to look original.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mark, your globe body... Is not "original"! It is rusty.

Such an item, would not have been allowed to be in such condition at a Texaco Station... Texaco Reps would have jumped all over a Station Manager for such an item!!!!

Anyone who actually worked/owned a Station during the time period of the 1930s to early 1970s... Will tell you the same thing...

Your body, looks as if it came off of an abandoned pump (except the lenses are not broken and/or faded out)...

That is the only instance where such a look would be the norm... Same with Ohio Oil's "Old School A38"...

Marathon Oil would fire any Franchisee or Manager of a "Company Store" that allowed one of their pumps to look like this one...

And if one worked in a Station during the 30s-60s... They would know 1st hand...

I was scraping, wire brushing and painting with a paint brush... Gas pumps, buildings, signage, restrooms, grease racks, air stations... etc... And they would have done the same!

Oil Companies would send in Company Reps at least every couple of Months to grade the Station... Plus, one never knew when a "Mystery Guest" would stop by the Station and file a report with the District Office...

Each Station was graded on everything and I mean everything... Appearance of the building and outdoor equipment... Appearance of the inside of the station including the Service Bays, Office, Restrooms and Waiting Area, if the Station had a separate area.. The Attendants were graded on their appearance, including clothing, if they needed a haircut and/or shave... The Station lighting was graded; was the entry and exit well lit? Was the pump area and air station lit well enough that someone could use them without problem? They even graded how clean and how well taken care of, were the private tools that the Mechanics used...

Every once and a while on Ebay, one will run across an Oil Company Station "Appearance Checklist"...

Like this one from Veltex Oil. Most likely it is from the 1940s:

So if the Oil Companies were so "anal" about ensuring that every facet of a Station made an "Outstanding Impression" on the Customer... Can anyone really believe they would allow anything rusty to be in front of their Customers?

The rusty look or patina look, if one likes... Is the look of an abandoned item... When I was a kid, my Dad and his friends called it: the "In the wild" look... I still call it that...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with you Bob. Very good explanation on the miss use of the term "original". An abandoned pump left to weather in a field is not original nor is it a survivor. Another term that gets tossed around quite a bit to describe weathered pumps.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks Bob for the great explanation of the term "original". I worked as a mechanic at a small Dodge dealership/gas station in the early 70's. One of my jobs in the springtime was repainting the gas pumps with a brush and Sears exterior paint. Nothing was left with rust on it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Must agree with you there Bob. Should have used the term as originally found or out in the wild

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
interesting discussion...

so is it still 'technically' an original globe ring? just no longer an original 'Texaco' globe ring since the paint is gone?

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I'd leave it alone...you can always repaint it later...a shiny coat of paint on that body will detract from the vibrancy of the lenses, IMO, and it won't look as 'old'...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sometimes I get more than a "little carried away" with my discussions.... I actually love this Hobby! I loved working at the couple different Stations, I was fortunate enough to work at during the 1960s...

Too many "New and Existing" Hobbyists never got to work in what we now call a "Vintage Working Gas Station"... They never got to hear the stories (and lies) that were told during the day and during the night... Never got to know the pleasure and importance that such Gas Stations had in a Neighborhood and/or Community... And the smells... A mixture of Gasoline, Oil, Grease, Sweat, Tobacco (and sometimes booze), Old Spice, new Tires, old Tires, old Battery cases... The sharp smell of Sulphuric Acid... I could go on and on... Somehow these different odors merged together and became.... Something terrific! If you don't believe me ask any "Old Timer" if they remember that smell and I guarantee that a big smile with appear on their face!

I live in a small Community, all told maybe 75 thousand People live in the area encompassing Kalama, north to Ryderwood/Toledo. And from Cathlamet to Rose Valley/Carrolls. This Area includes the 2 largest Towns/Cities of Longview and Kelso...

In the 50s and 60s the area probably had close to 60 thousand... And just like at "Goober's Station" on the Andy Griffith Show... On the weekends we would have a few retirees stop by the Station, drink some coffee or a soft drink with maybe a "little" JD to sweeten it...

They would sit on the bench in front of the Office until the area would become shaded and reminisce about their Youth...

I now wish that I had had the foresight to somehow tape record those conversations...

There is so much about this Hobby, I don't know. Or I have wrong... So, if I "talk out my 4th point of contact", I apologize. I know just enough about this Hobby to be "dangerous"!

Bryce, the body is original... If one wanted it to look like it would, if it were on a "working pump" at the time. Then it would be painted, most likely red... And it would have been painted with a brush.... And 99% of the time, the "new red" paint would not be the same tint as when it came out of the factory... There is nothing wrong with the body having the "in the wild" look... (IMO)

Last edited by Bob Richards; Mon Jan 27 2014 01:11 PM.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved