Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
OP Offline
G
Long story short yes I had a account under indiananationals and the account go froze for something that wasn't even my fault I sold a $25 item to someone and didn't track it so he said he didn't get it I offered to send another but no he filed a claim with PayPal and contacted mods and my account was froze no chance to explain nothing..so I started a new account did noting wrong and again froze because I was linked to old account I'm sure this won't even get posted but I feel the need to let it be known if all the older generation that have been doing this along time don't treaty the newbies with a tad bit of respect this hobby will die with them I myself really enjoy the old signs and yea I know its a sin to say on here but yea I buy some to just sell to pay for others I keep but I'm almost to the point to just sell it all as its almost not worth the hassle to deal with some people ...I feel u should at least be aloud to give your side of the story and not just banned

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow, you sure know how to clear the air and your name!

Maybe, it's time to look inward and accept some responsibility for who you have become and how you have treated others. Time for some insight and soul searching.

Did it occur to you just for maybe a nano second that the problem may lie with you rather then an entire site consisting of in excess of 17,000 members. Oh, I'm sorry; I forgot you're perfect and entitled....

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This topic may want to be locked before any more goes on the public side of OG.

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
G
OP Offline
G
No I just find it rude that someone isn't even given a chance to explain a problem I'm sure there are many good people on this site it just seems there are a select few who like to bash the newer people in the hobby as a example the two guys who sell on eBay who use girls as there models they never posted a negative thing and were bashed by many members on here for asking a high price for there item...well I guess it is there's heaven forbid they sell and make s profit I just feel some I'm not saying all enjoy jumping on the new guy ...answer me this if I bought from u and u sent me a item and it got lost should u be banned from selling ..yea seems pretty dumb to me but hey I'm not part of the in crowd on here so u know pile on.bash away don't even try to look at it from my side

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

imagesCAUFIZTC.jpg

Jay Leeper
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Love the picture

Please visit my website Gasstuff.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
He that asks for confrontation, will get it.

G
OP Offline
G
Point proven by the posts above

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can't speak for everyone in the Hobby!

Personally, I have had the pleasure to talk to; meet and enjoy sitting down with. More than a few Petro Hobbyists that were very "well mannered and polite".

Now there are those like db, myself, Jack and a few others that "are old and thorny"... But honestly, I believe we are the "exceptions to the rule"...

And some like Veedol_AL and Blacktee who at times can be thorny, but 90+% of the time they are "the best of people"... (got to get in the little digs, when one can)

Reading the Posts on Oldgas, I get the impression that most on Oldgas are "hard working folks"... Folks that don't believe anyone owes them anything.... Folks that because they want too, will look out for other Hobbyists. Not because it is demanded of them or expected...

But, I may be all wet and wrong?

Personally, I don't know you.. Never have had any dealings with you... But, I am sorry that you are not happy with the Hobby...

I love this Hobby... Been in it a long, long time... It has for the most part brought me enjoyment and satisfaction... Maybe I am not sophisticated enough, to realize that I haven't been happy in the Hobby? If that is the case, I hope I stay this way for as long as I am above the green grass...

You, might want to take a long hard breath and think about if what has happened? Hasn't been somewhat your own doing?

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I once was a jerk. There is help out there,but you have to be willing to do the foot work.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A little humor doesn't hurt either!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Sorry that you feel that "almost everyone in the hobby is a jerk." Since you stated you "did nothing wrong," let's review.

I got reports that you did not deliver a paid-for item and that you were requesting payments as a "gift" through Paypal. We take non-delivery seriously. The Paypal "gift" rule is in place because it requires the buyer to lie on the payment form to save the seller his fee.

You were put on a limited features status on the forum where your posts have to be reviewed by a moderator before the public can see them. You were not banned. You could have presented your side to a moderator at any time, but I have no knowledge that you did.

You chose instead to open a second registration identity. The Membership Agreement that you agreed to in order to register both times, has this line: "You agree to not use a second forum identity in a deceptive way." Since it was apparent that this was your second identity, gassigns was placed on limited features status as well as indiananationals.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
G
OP Offline
G
I'm not looking for conflict I just want to know if that is fair to be banned for a lost item that I tried to make right I feel my account should be reinstated

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks Jim for making sure people play by the rules.
Look at his posts... he is only in it for personal gain but wanting values and selling in the for sale section. Pretty sad they come here and sell for free then want people to pay by "gift" to cheat paypal out of 3%. 3% to sell a item is pretty cheap!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The funny thing here is out of the hundreds of people I have met in this hobby over the last few years I can say that there are a couple that may have been hard to deal with but I always tell myself, maybe they are just having a bad day. And for being a business owner for the past 28 years, I have met a few people that are not happy unless they make you unhappy but that in no way stops me from doing good business with them. As for e-bay, I have sold and bought from the start and it's pretty simple to take care of your customers young or old to not have any problems that would lock up your account. It drives me nut when people win an auction and e-bay doesn't do anything to them for not paying but you have to mess up pretty bad to get your account locked so IMO maybe the Hobby isn't the problem here.

Old or young if your going to do business withen this hobby you have to treat your customers like you want to be treated yourself!!!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Mike M.

Old or young if your going to do business withen this hobby you have to treat your customers like you want to be treated yourself!!!

Great quote and way to do business. Either here or elsewhere.

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
G
OP Offline
G
I did contact u to explain as for setting up a second account I'm in the wrong I agree and I guess I wasn't aware of the gift rule as I have paid others on Hera with gift as i was asked to do didn't know it was frowned upon I will take blame for not knowing that as well but I can't control if a item is lost ..what do I need to do to prove I'm not trying to deceive anyone I'm not asking for anything except to be fair.

B
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
B
Your integrity & your word are really the only thing's that you can totally be in control of.Most are taught this at an early age and it stays with you for your entire life.

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
G
OP Offline
G
I agree so why is it they think I would try and rip someone for$25 really

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Wow, what a broad statment to cover a large group of people. I for one have been a member here for years. I have had dealings with many members on here and all good, met alot of great people through this site at the meets, auctions, etc. Where else on the web can you get this much exposure to sell/buy items for free. Jim does this because he loves the hobby, I too love it and don't see the need for this foolish post. Thanks Jim and thanks oldgas!!!!!!!

Thanks, Phil
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Re: why is it almost everyone in this hobby is a jerk-

Well it depends on your perspective and desires. I am here to live and learn about O&G stuff. Everyone and I mean everyone that I have had dealings with has been gracious and willing to work on: dispensing information, making a deal and/or changing the shipping. Heck guys will even move stuff for you around the country and not take money for doing so. Guys let you into their homes and proudly show off their wares whether its a large collection or a more modest one and all because you're a fellow collector.
However if you want to be spoon fed, well that isn't going to work and if you want everything to go your way-good luck with that. No my impression has been the opposite of yours, most people here are first class citizens. Hopefully it will work out for you but if your goals are sales only then this site might not be the place for you.
Furthermore distilling a few bad circumstances on OG, down to the header "why is almost everyone...a jerk" certainly won't change how people perceive you.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have been a member here for 10 years now. I came here looking for some information on some globes I ran across while out buying junk. Everyone here was happy to help me out at the time and still seem to be willing to help people out. I don't think I have met any jerks in the hobby yet.

I do not get to go to shows except Johns here in Central New York. I have not personally met a lot of people on here but have had dealings with quite a few and have never had an issue with anyone from this site.

The membership has changed a lot in the 10 years I've been on here. We used to get some really great pictures of some very rare items but the repopers have curtailed a lot of that. still no real jerks though...

Got Socony???

Tom
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Gasman84470
Guys let you into their homes and proudly show off their wares whether its a large collection or a more modest one

I wouldn't let Fred into my house though... just his friends. smile

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tru dat-actually happened! wink

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You should offer more red paper clips.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: 47reotravis
You should offer more red paper clips.

Don't offer them, INCLUDE THEM

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Your perspective is very obscured. I am one of the younger people on this site. I am also probably one of the least knowledgeable when it comes to gas and oil items. However I do read almost every thread, and through this I have found out tons of information, and had enjoyment along the way. I've met fellow collectors from around the country, had dealings with several members, and have never had a bad experience.

Being a younger person in the hobby isn't a bed of roses. The veteran collector isn't going to tell you everything they know, because they don't know if its falling on deaf ears. You have to prove yourself, and actually put down some footwork and persistence. Don't expect the older generation to bow down to you because you are younger. They have been in the hobby for several years, and the hobby has been fine for all those years without you as a collector. This doesn't just relate to oldgas.com, it's the same way in collector cars, tractors, or anything you can think of.

There's a old saying "Don't bite the hand that feeds you". In your case, I believe it is too late, as you have rubbed several people the wrong way by calling them jerks.

This is just a poor, dumb, country persons point of view. If you agree, that's great. If you disagree, that's fine to.

Brandon

Brandon Ferguson
Central City, KY
Farm Related Advertising
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I,for one, have always felt that this site was being taken advantage of by guys who ask for values then post and sell here. These individuals "usually" are clueless on anything about this hobby. They can't offer advice on restoration problems. They can't help with any knowledge on company histories or locations. They are by my own opinion, leeches who have discovered a way to make a buck. Now, please do not feel that I am singling anyone out, as I am not. What I'm trying to convey is that if given the opportunity to deal with a person, I would want him to be as honest as I try to be. A man only has his word. Take it or leave it. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
May I give you some advice? First, you really start at a disadvantage trying to get your point across when you begin by insulting your audience. Second, would you please use punctuation? I have no idea if you raised any good points because your lack of punctuation makes you seem like an ***** so I gave up reading it and went on to the other posts I could actually read.

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
indiananationals; Your Real First Name; randy
gassigns; Your Real First Name; chelsea !

Really?

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Second, would you please use punctuation? I have no idea if you raised any good points because your lack of punctuation makes you seem like an ***** so I gave up reading it and went on to the other posts I could actually read.

I agree...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My first reaction is to say this is a generational thing, kids today and all that but that would be wrong. I've met some smart and gracious people of all ages in this hobby. I think it's just a complainer thing, some people just don't want to take responsibility for their actions, maybe its a result of the everyone's a winner way of raising kids, maybe not. If you want respect, earn it, goes for all ages but I think SOME younger folk just don't get it and this is a perfect illustration. In life you don't always win, learn from your failures and don't repeat them and for God's sake don't point your finger at everyone else.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
We ain't as dumb as we might seem and we seem to have seen right through this situation. And did you notice that no one attacked you personally nor has the thread been locked as your petulant persecuted persona projected. You reap what you sow.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
" petulant persecuted persona "

I thought my lack of education hasn't hurt me none....until I read this..

Well said....I think. smile

Imperial Oil collector..
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: gassigns
if all the older generation that have been doing this along time don't treaty the newbies with a tad bit of respect this hobby will die

I check in on OG gas daily, but as a fairly new member I do not post much. I do not have the knowledge of veteran old gassers, but I listen & learn. After reading this post, I will say this-- I have never been disrespected by any member of this site. Everyone I have had contact/business with has been very helpful/courteous/professional. A big thanks to Jim Potts & everyone else who helps keep this site going.

Ed from South Jersey
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I post a little here and there. For the most part I just read a lot. I have been lucky enough to meet several old gassers and I find that young and old everyone seems to have a good attitude. I would like to also thank Jim for the site and the things I've learned to here. It's to bad you had a bad experience but if I was as dissatisfied as you I'm sure that I would probably leave never to darken the door again.

Seeking Knowledge and a Good Deal.
Always looking for neon signs and skins , Flying A ,& Wayne 60s.
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
It's your responsibility as the seller that the buyer get's his item. Insure it. If it gets lost you get your money back. If not insured, and the seller does not receive his item, give him his money back(your loss). And yes they have signature confirmation so you know the item does not get stolen off the front porch as well. Take it as a learning experience and pay the customer back. Learn from your mistake(s).

As for the record, I am not a jerk! Most people like to call me an ***hole! smile

Always looking for Mint oil cans. Esp Aviation and Outboard Oil Cans and pumps. Looking fot Cheerwine signs!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Perdue31
As for the record, I am not a jerk! Most people like to call me an ***hole! smile

I FEEL HONORED, they call me a Dick instead of what they call YOU! laugh laugh

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hahahahaha ohh Dick, your a funny guy!

Braden Splichal

P
P
I've heard them call him a BIG DICK, and always wondered exactly they knew that............

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pegasus doesn't have an excuse, he's 4' 11" w/ SHOES!
Perdue31 has been here since 3-11 & is the BUTT of some conversations! Gotta laugh at accent of NC when they talk of Asheboro.
[My grandfather walked alongside an Ox Cart from Mt. Airy, N.C. to Bolivar, Mo.]

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B

why is it almost everyone in this hobby is a jerk

I'm not looking for conflict

From the title of your thread, I think you have been treated fairly and have been given some good advice, despite insulting your entire audience.
It is your responsibility to ensure what you sold gets delivered.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Are all blacks bad because 1 robbed a bank? NO!
If you sent the guys 25 dollar item, show receipt and prove it!
If you cant prove it then REFUND it and move on in life! Like YOU said, Its ONLY 25 bucks!
You have admitted you are in the wrong, THATS the first step in rehabilitation! smile
I have talked to you a couple times and you seem like a great guy!
Everyone has made mistakes, big and small, But it's ALL ABOUT how you handle the mistake...Good Luck!

Last edited by tomzcollectiblez; Wed Feb 19 2014 06:16 AM. Reason: cause I can!
G
OP Offline
G
He got a refund ...so what more could I have done ... and yea I probally stated it wrong . I have had some good conversation with a few on here and some great deals it just upset me that I was no longer aloud to post in the for sale area I would never screw someone over I would always make a deal right...it upset me being called out foe in my eyes doing nothing wrong in the beginning

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Great "post" Tom!

We have had heard enough from all members & with Tom's reply, I think we need to "lock" it!

Hen

Good constructive discussion about responsibility and handling sales. Locking this so it doesn't become negative and repetitive.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved