Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#51535 Sun Feb 17 2008 11:42 AM
M
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Great auction at Vic's Place this weekend!! I was home bidding and all went real well, good Internet hookups, bids went thru no problems!! Was a GREAT way to spend a cold Illinois day Saturday watching the sale. Looks like petroliana isn't being hurt by the rest of the American economy---most items I watched brought strong money.

Thanks again Seth. This is the 'Scottsdale B-J' auction of the hobby with quality pieces for sale. You draw some top-notch stuff to your annual sale I can't wait until next year I will be able to be there in person then!! AND if I clean up on our state's MegaMillion lottery Tues. I'll be bringing a BIG truck w/ me in 2009.....

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#51536 Sun Feb 17 2008 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yes he did!!!!

Excellent job by Seth and his staff.

I thought some stuff brought strong prices and there were a few bargins. Maybe some stuff didn't bring what it may have in the past, but that may be a reflection of the market. This is just my two cents but the market maybe reflecting the economy a little and prices may be flattening out a little as well. Let's face it, $11,000 for a gas globe or a pump is still alot of money. They are awesome, but the people that can fork that kind of money out for one globe or pump are far and few between. I think Seth had a nice balance of offerings. The Friday night auction was fun to watch.

One thing is still constant and that is condition brings money and it always will. Seth really had some top notch stuff. I am still kicking myself for not bidding on that red Sunbeam Bread sign. That was a really killer sign in likewise conditon and someone got a bargin on that one. But that's just my taste.

I had no connectoin problems, audio was great, bids got through no problem. That Bidspotter really has it figured out it seems. They did a nice job.

Whoever you had as an auctioneer really was good too.

Well done and I hope everything works out for you Seth. I paitently (sp) await my globe lenses......

[This message has been edited by 59fairlane (edited 02-17-2008).]

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

#51537 Sun Feb 17 2008 01:17 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Wow guys...thanks for the nice comments. I'm always scared to death right when the auction ends that we will have screwed up in some way and there will be lots of buyers or sellers ready to string me up! I'm thankful that we dodged snow/ice, but we did have some pretty terrific t-storms during the auction. It rained 3.5 inches from midnight fri nite to right at the end of the auction, so loading up after was a muddy-mess to say the least.

As for the prices themselves, somethings were high some were soft, but overall, I feel like we did the best we could given the weather/economy/election year. To all of the oldgassers that were in attendance both online & in person, a big thanks. Chuck, Paddy, Maurice pretty much shut the place down!! I swear they drove away with the tires mashed flat they were hauling so much stuff. Seriously, Paddy & Maurice made the auction much better in the fact that they aggresively bid and helped get things started. Thanks fellas....

#51538 Sun Feb 17 2008 04:36 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Seth,
Again this year a great auction.We had alot of fun and yes we bought to much. Had to have a guy bring down a truck from Tulsa to help bring stuff back. To many bargains.
Had a great time with Paddy coming in and staying Thursday night and Ray (Hotcidr) and his lovely wife coming to Tulsa on friday and spending the day.
You have some of the best people in the business helping you. Your staff was very helpful and friendly.
Got to see alot of friends and meet some new ones. Had dinner with Duececoupe (Rick) and his wife along with Chuck and Paddy.Lots of rain and buys. Looking forward to next year.

[This message has been edited by souperhigh (edited 02-18-2008).]

#51539 Sun Feb 17 2008 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The auction was fantastic and some great items were offered. In fact i couldn't keep my finger off the mouse clicker a couple times and ended up buying something. But I forgot to add in everything BEFORE i bid. But i am alot wiser for next time!
Winning Bid price $4300.00
Item to me price $5530.00 includes online fee, 2 taxes and 50.00 est. for shipping...
Damn that taxman bugs me!!!

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
#51540 Sun Feb 17 2008 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks Seth! The auction really was a lot of fun to watch online, and I too wish I'd bought a couple of things that I didn't... I did get a really neat Sinclair sign though.

Minuteman, I too was wondering about the sales tax. I don't think I've ever paid sales tax at an auction in Illinois, or online. I wonder if Oklahoma has different tax rules?

Wes

#51541 Sun Feb 17 2008 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not sure what the tax rules say for auction purchases through a online system.

If you buy at an auction in person then your supposed to pay sales tax. Maybe we were considered there?

I know if I buy something from another state and they ship it to me I don't get charged sales tax.

I'm not sure here.

#51542 Sun Feb 17 2008 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's definitely confusing. I've had multiple instances, here within IL, where I was at the auction, and did not pay sales tax (nor was there a Buyers Premium). I figure different states must have different rules? Back in Indiana, I did pay sales tax in person at auctions.

Wes

#51543 Sun Feb 17 2008 07:46 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Guys...those preliminary invoices from Bidspotter were WRONG. You won't be paying tax unless you live here in Oklahoma. All you will pay is your bid price + premium.

#51544 Sun Feb 17 2008 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Seth's on top of it. No problems Seth. Just were wondering.

Again, Thanks.

I know you must be a little busy.

#51545 Sun Feb 17 2008 07:53 PM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Seth, I attended and paid tax when I picked up my item on Saturday. ($61.75). I assume that tax applies if you bid in person even though you are not a resident? Also I did not attend Friday's auction but bought an item through bidspotter that will be billed to my CC. Will the tax ($46.72) be deducted as it was on the invoice I received? Bill Fortune Carthage, MO

[This message has been edited by wfort39663 (edited 02-17-2008).]

Bill Fortune
#51546 Sun Feb 17 2008 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks Seth - that's good to hear - I figure something was amiss there. I can see paying the tax in person, but not if one lives out of state and bid online.

I've also got to say, I liked Bidspotter's interface during the auction a lot better than Proxibid.

I also really appreciated Seth's descriptions of each item before bidding started. That really helped out the internet bidders.

Thanks again,
Wes

#51547 Mon Feb 18 2008 05:36 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Bill...the preliminary invoice you received from bidspotter even from friday night is just their idea of payment and not a charge to your card. I still have to manually charge all cards myself, probably today or tomorrow. In which, I will be deducting incorrect tax. I'm going to try and get bidspotter to send out a mass e-mail this morning explaining the tax situation. If you did attend in person and didn't present a resale tax i.d., then a tax of 6.5% was applied correctly.

#51548 Mon Feb 18 2008 04:39 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Seth
Just got home today.. Had my flights delayed cuz of bad weather in Chicago Had a great time, I also spent too much $$ Great to meet SouperHigh and his wife and Paddy too. Thanks to Chuck "70HemiBird" for bringing my stuff home..Thanks again for all the great work you and your crew did..
Paddy can't wait to see your Buys of the week..

Ric

Wanted: Conoco, Marland, Eason, Cliff Brice, Speedway and Oval E stuff!
#51549 Tue Feb 19 2008 07:14 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I can't echo everyone's words enough. I thought the auction was a great time with great people. I got to introduce a few friends from across the country to one another. It was nice to introduce Ray, Mary Sue, Randy, Cookie and Al (Cali crowd) to some of us mid-westerners including Ric, Domonica, Paddy (Mid west wannabee), Maurice, Christina, and Marty. It was great to see Bob Lowry again....he knows everyone!

Hotcidr has been trying to get me out there for the past 3 years and I'm glad I finally made it.

I only spent a few grand but I could have spent a lot more if I had prepared a little better. I'll be ready next year.

Great job Seth!

[This message has been edited by Hemibird (edited 02-19-2008).]

Chuck
smile
Signs Wanted: Sunset, Clipper, Harbor, Indian Motorcycle, Powerlube, Beacon, Michelin, Conoco MM
#51550 Tue Feb 19 2008 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Seth,

Can you shoot me an email? I emailed you Saturday, not sure that it went through.

Thanks,
Wes

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved