Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Another picker says he's found a boxed Full Service/Self Service island sign w/end caps. He's not sure of date so I thought I'd ask, when did Gulf start mixing service types between Full & Self?

I haven't seen it yet but it sounds like it is a mix of painted Gulf colors and stickers, so I'm guessing a transition piece? He said the Gulf logo wasn't painted on the pieces, could it have been a sticker?

I think he's steep on his asking price $700 without having the Gulf logo on the pieces.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's hard to tell what the other "Picker" has found "sign/end caps" without a photo which also would help to know if his price is steep or not!

Photo would also help with the age of Items.

Self Service has been scattered throughout the years but kind of became the norm in the 70's into the 80's. There still are stations out there with both Full and Self posted.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
I know a photo helps. smile

I'm hopeful one of the Gulf gurus out there is more in touch with Gulf history of self vs full appearing at stations.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Self service came back to the Carolinas in 1967-1968, after several experiments with the practice in the late 1940s. It started with independents, in fact Spartanburg based Jordan Oil operated some of the earliest branded (Spur) self serve stations in the southeast. Various other independents were experimenting with self service at the same time. The majors were much slower to do so, with the sort of "split island" (industry term) operation as would have used these signs, with some islands self serve and others full serve, at a higher price. Even still a few around. By the middle 1970s, after the first shortage, the split island operation became commonplace, lasting until full serve was all but phased out. In New England, the split island type of station can still be commonly found. In any event, many of these signs were generic, and could be ordered in color combinations that were similar to official oil company signs. Some were very brand specific. Without pics, impossible to tell, but would not date before about 1970.

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Thanks Wayne, that's the kind of information I needed.

I'm going to look at the piece Saturday. From his description and your information I think what he has may have been shipped to a Gulf station for this purpose.

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Here are pictures from the paperwork.

I did not see the Gulf stickers in the box but everything else looked to be there.

It's all aluminum which makes me think it's not as old as he thinks it is.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved