Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#517877 Mon Mar 03 2014 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here is the halfway point of the boxing job that I did for Dan's green Mobilgas lens. He got it safe and intact. It was wrapped in plastic then bubble wrapish and was sitting in a double walled box on a piece of foamboard and bubble wrap.

Last edited by Oldgas; Tue Mar 04 2014 05:37 PM. Reason: Discussion on shipping globes moved from For Sale topic
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It was lucky to make it... one good hit from that side where the lens is right next to the card board and that would have been in pieces.

Lenses are to be wrapped in bubble wrap and should be at least 2"-3" of bubble wrap or peanuts to the card board or outside of the box for proper shipping. Anything else is a gamble.
You can ship these all day long with very good luck in shipping. Most globes get broke do to poor packaging!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I wrap my globes in at least 4 inches if bubble wrap per lens. When I saw the picture, i said to my self "man, you got reall lucky there!"

Looking for any cans! PM me what ya got!
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
OK then, how about this, If you buy this lens, I will make sure to wrap it up to your specs before sending it to its new home. grin

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don't take it as an offense, because you did truly get very lucky! You really need a shock cushion when shipping lenses, and the best way is to double box the item.
These guys were just pointing out a common mistake in order that you might not have trouble in the future. At the very least, so others would not think your packing job was the proper way to do it!
Double walled cardboard does nothing to protect the lens, because in the event of a direct hit, there is no cushion to absorb the blow! Only double boxing will prevent it, and even then, it doesn't always work! These freight handlers are merciless!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe
OK then, how about this, If you buy this lens, I will make sure to wrap it up to your specs before sending it to its new home. grin

no negative comments allowed on this post

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
No offence taken at all and I hope my answer didn't sound snarky!
I just about dropped a load in my shorts when the postal clerk told me that it should be packed well enough to survive a fall from stomach high onto concrete. I did do some extra tricks that can't be seen in the pic and I kicked down the extra money to ship it first class/priority so that it would get on a plane, in Seattle, instead of being transferred from truck to truck across the US by ground mail.

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LOL... I know globes and how to ship but you can ship it how ever you like. Take my advise or not. Just trying to keep globes from getting destroyed.

Funny... a lens gets broke do to packing and people get scared of them and afraid to ship them.

If it's a complete globe on capco it will cost $45-$65.
if its a complete glass body it will cost $65-$115
UPS and FedEx is cleaning up!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don't forget Insurance, it's not the buyers Responsibility, It's the Seller & their Packaging that needs the protection. IF item gets broke/damaged before arriving at buyer, seller can fill out the Ins. Claim.

Eons ago a friend bought a Raised Letter Crown, it was Double boxed w/ 2" of filler, Crown arrived in 10,000 pieces, Outer box didn't have a mark or puncture on it. Seller Replaced the Broken one.

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Mon Mar 03 2014 07:44 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Guys for pointing out how to ship! I had some cans delivered today and the box looked good, but full cans on the inside sitting against the side, guess what happened? Yep, both cans touching the side were bent. I wish the guy would have seen this post before he sent them to me! When I sent a few cans to Dick to be repaired he told me I over wrapped them! I even split them in different boxes so if one box did get lost I wouldn't lose them all.Just something to think about, not get touchy for getting good advise.

Always looking for Mississippi company items, Billups, southland, ride with rose.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dave,
I did get the green letter mobilgas lens in one piece. I agree a bit more packing around the edges would have helped but hey it got here in one piece. Thanks!
Dave did insure that green lens for full value and man it cost him over $35 bucks to get it to Ohio. So i will vouch for him and say he is a good guy to deal with and glad it didnt get broken!
GLWS

Dan

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Getting that to you, Dan, complete and intact, was my greatest wish and why I did it the way I did but I will be revising my packing for this one (Metro) and all in the future. Luck is great to have but careful preparation and diligence is what I like to rely on!
I structured the box above kinda like how I saw the factory box of Sky Chief lenses that Kevin found. More space was needed on the 2 sides tho.
Shipping is a tricky part of this great stuff but worth it to get right.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Katfish sent 2 Double boxed w/ 6 empty qt cans ea. Guess them BILLUPS qt cans ARE worth something to some collectors!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ok, Dick, let's get this Billups on the shelf. I found this under my mother's house, where I'm sure I smashed it a little over 50 years ago (probably trying to kill the monkey). Why couldn't I have just smashed a Gulf can..... I'll be sure to double box it. : )

billups1 (2).jpg

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When I purchased a set of clear lenses from dean Castellano he built this small crate.

image.jpg

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved