Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Boxes marked Glass/Fragile = Let's see how far we [UPS] can throw w/o Breaking!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dave Richey
Ok, Dick, let's get this Billups on the shelf. I found this under my mother's house, where I'm sure I smashed it a little over 50 years ago (probably trying to kill the monkey). Why couldn't I have just smashed a Gulf can..... I'll be sure to double box it. : )

I Can make it look better, but will have Shiny New lids UN-less I speedup the Rusting process!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Darin Sheffer's nice marathon lenses LOL
Packing is key....

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
DB sent me a package by USPS and it was marked "Fragile". So where do you think the damage was? Yup right on the word Fragile! Anyway he extra wrapped the can and they didn't do any damage.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Anybody see the delivery guy on Pet Detective with the fragile box?

Always looking for Mississippi company items, Billups, southland, ride with rose.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
My favorite scene of all time, and the quote. "Opps I bet that was expensive"

Please visit my website Gasstuff.com
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I want to be clear that this is NOT a post I started OR NAMED. It was edited, at my request, and then taken off from the 15" METRO lens that I posted for sale and then moved to this section by the mods.

Everyone should also know, as I mentioned, that the pic I posted was only half way through the packaging process.
I have not mentioned it before but I also attached wide foam strips to the outside sides of the box after installing the lid and then I wrapped the whole package in brown paper.

I know what I'm doing when it comes building custom crates and boxes for safe shipping. At one time in my life I worked for a printing company in a bindery (the crating and shipping part of a printing co) and was professionally trained to pack all kinds of non-fragile and fragile items.

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe

I have not mentioned it before but I also attached wide foam strips to the outside sides of the box after installing the lid and then I wrapped the whole package in brown paper.

Please Please Please listen to others before you ship another lens/globe. Foam strips and brown paper will do NOTHING to protect the package. 2 BOXES are a must NOT 2 layers of cardboard.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
What I'm saying KZ is, I'm a experienced packing and shipping professional that does what it takes to get the item, that someone BOUGHT from me, safely to it's new owner so that they are happy.
Dan and I are the only people who actually know how I packed that lens and he seems to be a happy person that BOUGHT & RECEIVED a item, undamaged and intact, from me and is vouching for me on this post.
I have MANY happy individuals that have safely received items from me and 1 or 2 people that were unhappy with my shipping but they still got their item safely and undamaged and that was a decade ago. I learned from those experiences tho, and I'm still open to learning and finding the right way to do something so that the end result is a happy buyer/trader because I personally hate getting a item that was damaged because of poor packing!
If you BUY something from me, KZ, then I will happily listen to and follow your instructions as to how you want it shipped so it will get to you safely!,,,as I would with any buyer/trader.

My problem with this post is that my name is on it as the originator and it's not something that I originated (in this form) or named. That's all and it's no big deal.

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think it should be more about preserving history than hurt feelings. I received a globe years ago that was packed by a professional packer and shipper and it arrived in pieces because it was not done right. Good advice given on this thread, anyone shipping a globe or lenses should listen and follow it.

Last edited by Neil Gerrard; Thu Mar 06 2014 01:01 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The below information is from the Globe Book used as a reference guide:

It's a loss to the hobby to have even a single globe broken and yet we hear about this happening all too often. First of all, plan to double box the globe. This is a must! The outer box should be large, at least 20 cubic inches. We can't stress this enough. Most damaged globes are shipped in smaller FLAT boxes. Don't use these-- use larger square/cube boxes. Allow at least five to six inches around all sides, top and bottom of the globe for the first box. Styrofoam peanuts are great because they do the job and are light in weight. Once the globe is boxed, place the box in a second larger box. Allow at least four to six inches or more between the smaller box and the larger box. If your first box is 10 cubic inches then the second box should be at least 24 to 26 cubic inches. Again, use Styrofoam peanuts or other packing material. Newspaper works well when other packing material is not available, but it gets heavy. Make sure to line the bottom of each box with at least four inches of soft padding. Place a few loose sheets of cardboard across the top of the inner box for extra protection.When packing a glass body globe with glass inserts, remove the inserts! Otherwise, you run the risk of damaging the inserts due to vibrations in transport, which can cause them to break...Place thing bubble pack, or , if not available, several sheets of newspaper (six to ten) between separately in another area of the box. That way, during shipping it won't bump and break the inserts. By the way, never stack more than six to eight inserts on top of each other when shipping and even when simply storing. The weight alone could break or crack the bottom insert. When packing plastic body globes with glass inserts, either ship them assembled or take them apart before packing. We’ve done it both ways with no problem. But when shipping a fully assembled globe, make sure that the three screws on the plastic body are screwed tight. Stuff the inside of the globe with crumpled newspaper only, not packing peanuts. Metal frame globes with glass inserts should be taken apart. Again, loose inserts and a metal body make a bad combination. If the inserts are very tight or hard to remove, pack them well but make sure the inserts are snug. Place the metal frame globe inserts in a small box placed inside of a bigger box, with the metal body on top. This adds protection on the upper portion of the box in case it is hit from above or something heavy rests on it. Metal bodies are nearly indestructible.On rare or expensive globes it is best to use overnight delivery services such as Federal Express. It's not worth taking chances on breakage and although it's more costly you're rather not see your globe arrive in "kit" form. Avoid shipping a globe during the extremely cold weather. Globes are more brittle then and break more easily, even plastic globes.

We've heard pros and cons on marking your box as "Fragile" or "Glass". Ours go out unmarked and we rarely have a problem. Don't forget to insure your globe and hope that it arrives in one piece!

Last edited by 1937 GMC; Thu Mar 06 2014 06:48 PM.

Buying: Polarine / Red Crown Gasoline Globes and Signs, Early Chevrolet & United Motors Signs, and 1910's through 1940's Gas & Oil Signs.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I will add that most UPS shipping facilities do not know how to properly shipped a globe. I had a globe that I had purchased and that guy took it to Atlas van lines that have them box it and ship to me in the body and both lenses were in millions of pieces when I got it.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I bought a globe from scott Benjamin and he done a great job packing and shipping. As many as he sells he should be an expert he just stuffed the inside of the globe and packed well around the outside. I am not sure how he ships just the lenses.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved