Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#519441 Mon Mar 10 2014 02:47 AM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
What do you guys make of this. And I have the auto bids turned on in this photo. The item did have a reserve on it. About a week later I noticed the same seller had relisted another one. So I contacted him to try and understand if maybe he had several of them. He told me that the winning bidder of the can wouldn't pay after winning with this strange bidding pattern. So he relisted it.
I just dont get how or why, the winning bidder kept out bidding himself. And then the giant jump at the end when there wasn't even anyone else bidding.
Any thoughts?

ScreenShot107.jpg

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Steven C. #519443 Mon Mar 10 2014 03:16 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Why do some of you spend so much time trying to figure out bidding patterns?? If it's something you want put in your max bid and walk away from the computer!! Looks like he was probably trying to find the reserve..........

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Because I spoke to the seller on the phone and I may be trying to work out some other deals with him and I want to be sure there isn't anything fishy going on. The piece in question also was a no return deal. Which usually bothers me.
And if he was only trying to find the reserve, why the big jump in the end. Doesn't make sense.

Steve Coppens
Steven C. #519448 Mon Mar 10 2014 04:18 AM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
if you put in a max bid that meets or exceeds reserve it will take you to that reserve price to buy the item no matter what price it's at previously and as far as no returns if it's not what seller states in auction you have ebay & pay pal recourse for money back as it states after no returns section

Steven C. #519455 Mon Mar 10 2014 05:11 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Steve C.
Because I spoke to the seller on the phone and I may be trying to work out some other deals with him and I want to be sure there isn't anything fishy going on. The piece in question also was a no return deal. Which usually bothers me.
And if he was only trying to find the reserve, why the big jump in the end. Doesn't make sense.

Sure it makes sense, he was doing small bids hoping to hit it. Then relized he better anti up because he wanted it.......

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
OR he was jacking the bid! The large bid at the end looks really odd...I bet his reserve was 550! So he had his buddy bid it up to there so the next bid wins it and outbids him!
I have seen this LOTS of times! Again, not sure if this is the case BUT sure looks sketchy!

S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: tomzcollectiblez
OR he was jacking the bid! The large bid at the end looks really odd...I bet his reserve was 550! So he had his buddy bid it up to there so the next bid wins it and outbids him!
I have seen this LOTS of times! Again, not sure if this is the case BUT sure looks sketchy!

That's more in line with what I was thinking. Just seems awfully strange to make such a large jump.

Steve Coppens
Steven C. #519461 Mon Mar 10 2014 05:38 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Lets see the auction and his other items smile I bet the same person or persons was jacking all his bids IF THIS IS THE CASE!!!

Steven C. #519462 Mon Mar 10 2014 05:45 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I look at this as someone who has no other outlets than to sit in front of a computer and connect with the outside world? Ebay is like a drug some folks can't seem to kick. Way too much "valuable" time is lost in the overall theme of what is achieved......strictly my opinion, as always. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

gasmansgp #519463 Mon Mar 10 2014 05:56 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Conspiracy Theory ....Originally a neutral term, since the mid-1960s it has acquired a somewhat derogatory meaning, implying a paranoid tendency to see the influence of some malign covert agency in events.

Jim

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
I cant even remember the last time I looked at the bidders on an auction.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Man I looked at the time of your posts fellas. Speaking of too much time on your hands, which happen to be on the computer keyboard. LOL

S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Fred, I work at a computer all day most often beginning between 5 and 6 am. About once an hour I do a full save of my work which takes a minute. So I jump and check ebay and/or oldgas for a second to fill the time. I see it as a blessing to have something enjoyable for a second. As opposed to sitting there watching an hourglass on the screen.
Also, Thomas Edison said, and I paraphrase,'sleep is a waste of time'. I get up somewhat early.

Steve Coppens
Steven C. #519470 Mon Mar 10 2014 06:41 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Early bird gets the worm steve...
I have a list of schill bidders that I avoid...
Just wanted to add them to the list...
I guess discussing boobs and dolls in listings is more important than getting cheated out of money...LOL

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Looks like bids are searching for reserve. Then maybe bidder hit the lottery and went all in.

Don't try to figure it out. Watched a item all week as high bidder. 10 seconds to go it went from 113.00 to 181.00 and change. Heart broken but life goes on!

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved