Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I know how you feel but that applies to all aspects of life. I do plumbing work and I could not tell you how many times I have herd someone was going to do the job but never showed up . I have always been a person of my word and if I tell you I will be some where at a certain time you can set your watch by it. I am not sure why it is so hard to tell the truth but alot of people have a hard time doing it.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott-Theres a-holes everywhere. But, I believe there are still many more good people than bad. I'm going to send you a PM about the mags.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Easier to Stomp a $5 qt into a $3 qt!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What about the other way around - I say, I take it, seller say OK, you got it and the next day - sorry I sold it locally at a better deal...I guess I was so far away that the word didn't count.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is very true!!!

Originally Posted By: fast66
What about the other way around - I say, I take it, seller say OK, you got it and the next day - sorry I sold it locally at a better deal...I guess I was so far away that the word didn't count.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was selling some slot cars and sets at a show in Highland Indiana yesterday from 6AM to 3PM.
Brought 25 sets and 200 cars.
Sold a lot,but not as much as I was hoping for.
At the end of the show,with maybe 10 guys left in the room as I was packing up to leave,a "kid"..(actually a respectable looking grown man about 50,but you'll see why I call him a kid),walks over to me and starts opening up one of my complete sets.Sees the price tag and says WOW!..I had this very set as a kid.he then rifles through it and is manhandling as if it is coming home with him.
Asks will I take $75 less then the price tag I put on it.
I say yes,just to make a sale and to not have to bring it back home,I will accept your offer.
I then proceed to rearrange the set the way I had it.
This respectable looking "kid",says "GREAT!..let me go get my wallet.Are you going to be here awhile?"
I say yes,I have to make 3 trips to my truck during packing up.
He says,"GREAT!..we have a deal.I'll be right back.We shake hands.
I then proceed to make the first of 3 trips to my truck,while I watch him walk across the room and reach for his coat as it looks like he has to go to his car outside.
Each time I come back in to get another load,I don't see this "kid" anymore.
After being fully packed.I come back inside,and sit at the very table I was selling at and we made the deal at.
There are now 5 people left in the room.All vendors packing up to leave.
This "kid" is nowhere to be seen.
I waited 30 minutes after this,only to never see him again.

Now I can understand he might not have as much money as he thought,or even may have changed his mind completely,but if that was the case,have the balls to come back in & say that to my face.
I woke up on my only day off @ 5AM,and was packing to come home @ 3PM from being hammered with low ball prices & tire kickers all day long,and for this 50 year old "kid",whom I took as to be as professional as by his word as I,to treat me like that really made me want to re-think my initial instincts of people as of late.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Last week at the show a guy asked me about three baseball pin backs I had for sale. I said 50 each. He asked how much if I took all three. I was busy going in circles and blurted out 65 bucks. I instantly thought to myself did I just say that? I just dropped from 150 to 65 in seconds. Comes with age {your mind goes haywire on a whim} The guy says I will be right back I have to go to the ATM. OK,
I was glad he did not come back for that kicker deal.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have rented apartments for 3o years and have learned to act upon what people do, not what they say. I always give lots of leeway, but all that really maters is what do. If they don't do what they say, you move on.

I had an item someone asked me about. Made an agreement. Spent time looking for the item,taking pictures, e-mails back and forth. Addressed, labeled, stamped , ready to go in the mail. After a few days waiting for payment threw pay pal,I receive an apology. Fine, after several more days and no payment, I say deals off. Time to move on. It takes about three minutes to do pay pal. Again just as well I would have lost money on the deal anyway, was just trying to be accommodating.

001.JPG
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
isn't it great when someone asks for tons of pictures and then disappears without so much as a no thanks.

I had a member on here (won't mention names) ask for pictures of every single oil can I had with prices, after dozens of pictures and emails said to me, nice stuff but I'm going to pass.

Amazing to me that there was not one can he liked enough to buy, I guess I wasn't leaving enough meat on the bone or something

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
the best one i have heard lately is, after a member here gave me his word over the phone and i still wanted more, so he gave his word on his mothers life.lol...needless to say i accepted this, then when i returned from my trip he says "what, i have a right to change my mind" LOL....then i see it a couple weeks later on ebay for twice the money....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Maybe mom passed away ?? I doubt it.

S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
All good stories and thoughts. Sometimes we change our mind, run out of money, something comes up...But at least have the decency to tell that to the person you made an agreement with they will probably understand. It's not that hard to do! Scott B.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That seems to be the common denominator.
No follow up communication by one party,once a commitment is verbalized,which cements a feeling of guilt to me.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Since this is turned into kind of a character / communication rant I will add mine. People who are just too ignorant, lazy, arrogant or apathetic to respond to PM's or emails ask me a question, make a comment, send me something I will extend you the courtesy of a reply, may not be much but a reply none the less. Did a deal with a gentleman, sent me pictures of projects he supposedly completed, big explanation about how this item I had would round out his collection of this company, and just had to have it. Long story short did not particularly care whether I did the deal or not but thought I would go ahead since it would be doing this guy a big favor and help him out. Agreed on payment Sent the item and never heard from him again no hey it made it, Thanks, I appreciate it, nothing. If I hadn't sent it with a tracking number I wouldn't have had a clue whether he received it or not. A simple thank you would have gone a long ways. Or if it wasn't what he thought it was and wasn’t happy and wanted to undo the deal it would have been fine with me. Guess what will freeze over before I deal with him again.

Jay Leeper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am old school....Keep your word, Treat others like you want to be treated, and be honest about the stuff you sell.

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved