H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Originally Posted By: minuteman
Originally Posted By: Craig Osbeck
Great, more repro pumps.

So what is the magical part one needs to have before a pump is not a repro?
Maybe the head like on an 800? Fancy skin on roman? Or the cast dual head on a twin???

Must be something, as it seems OK if you add just about anything else, like a base, skins, hats, hangers, cylinders, visi-guages and list goes on??????

So Who's qualified to give the definitive answer?
I'm curious too.

huskybob #522062 Thu Mar 20 2014 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...do you guys think one original 'skin' makes the entire pump 'original'?...because I don't...hopefully the winning bidder is a guy with an original pump, and just needs an original skin, to complete it...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #522068 Thu Mar 20 2014 01:48 PM
C
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
C
My comment was directed at the response that someone put up where they would be using reproduction parts and then just the original column itself.
If one was to assume then the only way to get an original pump was to have everything original then that would be one answer. With pump restoration there is the big question, skins missing so now we have to have them, glass, tops, where does it end. Not many pumps are found all together and now missing or banged up.
What is more economical, body work, new metal, what ?

But the response was directed as I said for the repro parts and the original column.
By the way, when someone reproduces the column, will that be a problem then? Just like new sheetmetal on other visibles.

Craig
Craig Osbeck #522078 Thu Mar 20 2014 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Do you love a woman any less because she has breast implants or a knee replacement.....

Like the pump question it's all about personal preferences. Personally I think the frame and all original castings are a must. I don't think repro panels effect the value or collectibility of a pump. If the skin is identical in quality, material and fit then I don't see a problem. Better then a bondo filled rusty original.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Dave's Garage #522083 Thu Mar 20 2014 02:57 PM
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Breast implants and a Roman skin cost about the same amount. I like both of them too. They are easy to look at and enjoy once they are installed.

Last edited by wocopep; Thu Mar 20 2014 02:59 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved