Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Kevin,
Your doing the right thing. If you are new to buying signs, surely ask first if you are not sure. Both of these signs you've asked about are repops, and you were questioning, so your being cautious and that is the best way not to get burned. As much as I hate to walk away sometimes, I also would hate to throw away good money on a fake. So stay cautious. Stay patient. The right ones will come along.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thank you Steve. I only posted the last Texaco sign (don't mean to steal the thread lol). But I have been wondering about it for awhile and very happy I finally asked about it, or I could have eventually ended up wasting my money on it.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
If you're looking for some starter signs to get you kicked off in collecting I'm sure a few of the Canadian members on OG can steer you in the right direction for places north of the border. Also, take some time to look through the OG BOTM(buys of the month) which will help your eyes start to see what real signs should look like.

Sadly there are many people who offer signs for sale and simply don't know what is and isn't real or don't care to find out and just offer something as authentic. Whenever they tell you it's real then make them show you honest evidence. I've heard all kinds of stuff from seller.. "My grandfather bought it, my Dad owned it, A guy I know said it was real" and many more, but such things aren't evidence. His grandfather could have bought it in the 80's!

Anyway... welcome to OG and enjoy the hobby!

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Totally fake.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
These flakes with fakes are beginning to really annoy me!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Thanks Dave and Darin for addressing my questions. It just really bothers me that there is so much of this stuff out there. I am totally convinced that anything goes on ebay with very little that will be done to curb the problem. Sad that at shows you can walk up on a whole booth of nothing but this type of signage.If I was a show host they would not be allowed to sell.

The second sign asked about is sold in the states by Hobby Lobby a good Christian Owner who is closed on Sunday,but only sells junk massed produced from overseas.

Thanks again not trying to high jack post, but its one thing to post fake and move along,and another to explain why its fake.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
chevyman #521612 Tue Mar 18 2014 05:29 PM
C
OP Offline
C
He added this to the texaco sign on ebay.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Mar-17-14 at 06:33:40 PDT, seller added the following information:
I've had lots of people inquiring the authenticity of this sign,i today,spoke with Keith @ Stout Sign Co,if you want to see the history of Stout signs founded 1866,largest manufacturer of metal signs for the likes of pepsi,Hires,& Texaco,this Texaco is one of their original signs,Keith will be getting back to me regarding the year this sign was produced. Thank everyone for their interest. Feel free to call keith (in operations) at Stout Signs (314)385-4600

chevyman #521628 Tue Mar 18 2014 06:32 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
LOL.... really?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Remake of an old sign designed for use Indoors as a decorator item. Painted tin will not last outside in direct sun.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I know Stout did many drink and candy/cake signs, but true original Texaco rounds?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: carolinaskies
I know Stout did many drink and candy/cake signs, but true original Texaco rounds?

NO, Stout did not make this Texaco sign ever..

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Definately a repo!
I agree with Dick! These BAD sellers are making oldgas look bad by selling their junk on here and posting links to their repo's and cutout signs!
Richflfan is a member and definately knows better!
Some of these people have several accounts...
Also other members are HELPING them sell on here...
The BAD apples need to be stopped from selling on here!

Last edited by tomzcollectiblez; Wed Mar 19 2014 04:57 AM.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
The only thing worse then this misrepresentation of this sign,is the person selling it.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Hello,
I am under richnflfan09 on ebay. I do not intend to misrepresent any sign.
There were already two items that I contacted the buyers on that I described incorrectly. The union products sign as well as the gas cap display. I did not know the union products sign was a cut out and I guess the gas cap display was actually from the 60's and 70's not the 40's.

I am not in the business of misrepresenting items. I stand by everything I sell and if you have any questions or concerns please contact me at (817) 229-1596
I will give a 100% refund from anyone that is not satisfied with anything I sell

Sincerely,
Chris

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's about as good as a guarantee gets. We all learn something new everyday.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved