Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#523023 Mon Mar 24 2014 01:38 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Can anyone tell me what these holes are for? They are 1/2" diameter and have grommets around the outside. Was there another way of mounting thing sign?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
1 BAD ZR1 #523030 Mon Mar 24 2014 02:09 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Clips for neon... nice find!

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice sign,Rob! Weather is getting better,think I'll have to make the trip down soon!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: carolinaskies
Clips for neon... nice find!

I showed a picture of Rob's sign to a friend of mine (with permission) who is a long time veteran and very well respected in the hobby of quality neon work, and his reply was I'm 99.9% sure this was never a neon sign. I understand no one is perfect and he could be wrong, so I'm just communicating what I was told.

Does anyone have an old photo of this exact sign hanging with neon?

Last edited by Chevrolet SS; Mon Mar 24 2014 04:07 PM.

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
If it was neon, where are the holes for the insulators?....perhaps in the can? Possible, but haven't seen that sort of configuration before.

Last edited by OK Used Cars; Mon Mar 24 2014 06:07 PM.
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
holes are not for neon

Last edited by 57tbirdkid; Mon Mar 24 2014 06:14 PM.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Did FIRESTONE make any signs w/ Neon on outside perimeter only?

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
We discussed essentially the same sign some time back. Personally I still believe they are neon mounting points. Whether this is part of a larger assembly I do not know, though in that thread you'll see a picture with an overhead canopy which could account for neon being fed through a different point rather than through the face of the sign itself.

If you do a Google search you will see one of these that has neon on it but it's modern neon work and no one yet has posted any definitive proof that it is or isn't neon.

The idea that these are "alternate" mounting points I have an issue with mainly because the way the sign is lettered you would have expected a mounting hole not to be in one of the letters for a NON-Neon sign whereas many neons do have holes in the lettering.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I have tons of early pictures with these signs and not one has neon. We could all just be blowing this out of proportion..it just could have been a way they were stamped. The funny thing is how many of this version do you see that is double sided.??? Not many....and some of the ones i have seen do not have the white border. They were probably bolted back to back in hangers. Someone said something bout the holes holding catseye marbles but i have no proof.

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Different version extra holes

Last edited by 57tbirdkid; Mon Mar 24 2014 06:51 PM.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thank you everyone. Been in the hobby many years but this one with these holes has me totally stumped. Again thank you to all. Rob

1 BAD ZR1 #523131 Mon Mar 24 2014 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Last 2 pic's posted by 57TB shows the extra holes when you toggle in/enlarge pictures.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I stayed up last night and did what CAROLINASKIES said and google this sign. Almost everyone I came across had chips all around the enamel where this sign obviously was either mounted or had something attached to it. We all know it takes a little power to chip porcelain. I realize it is not neon from 57 TBIRD , but for the life of me I cannot figure out what went in those holes. One suggested it may have been stamped that way. Seems a waste of time if the holes were not used. Maybe the answer is lost to history I guess. Thanks for everyone's help here, I appreciate it. Rob

1 BAD ZR1 #523219 Tue Mar 25 2014 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm going to take a guess at this, as that's all we can do; till we come up with some photographs that will definitively lay this issue to rest.

I'm looking at the photograph that 57tbirdkid posted. To me it appears as it the sign has a wooden frame around it. Would it be fair to assume that the smaller holes around the perimeter are to secure the wooden frame? The larger holes in turn are to secure the sign to the surface it was being mounted to i.e. wall/building. In my opinion, pre-drilled mounting holes aren't too great a stretch of the imagination. It was not as easy to drill holes in the field as it is today.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved