Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#535616 Thu May 15 2014 02:37 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Several years ago I was buying and selling mostly tools to bring in money and knew nothing about petroliana. I stumbled across a sign at a yard sale, and picked it up. It was a Sealed Power porcelain sign with diver. I believe it was in the neighborhood of 2' x 3' and the graphics resembled the flange signs you see occasionally. I got it for 25 bucks. Someone had come to the house to pick up something else I had on craigslist, and asked me if I would sell that sign. I said sure, and having no idea what I was doing, told him 130. Of course, he grabbed it, and I went the rest of the day pretty happy that I quadrupled my money. I have not seen one like it since. I now couldn't even begin to guess what that sign was worth. Would love to hear any other similar stories..if only to make myself feel better smile

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Can't figure why you are kicking yourself for this? That was years ago, as stated. You have learned to not do that again plus you made more than you paid. Valuable lesson and one that probably, everyone on this site can relate to. In my humble opinion, you did pretty good. No body died and you woke up on the right side of the grass? All in all, you should feel real good about it! Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
My writing skills must be slipping...these stories meant to be in fun. I'll have to add more happy faces next time

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm going to send this to all my friends.

.............*NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE*.............
Due to the Recent Increase in pump prices, ALL Previous pump "Sales" done in the past 20 years are being considered NULL & VOID. You will be given 30 days to comply before legal auction will be enforced. Theft reports are being complied w/ photos & detailed description of each pump that was TAKEN from my storage yards & will be filed w/ local & state law enforcement agency's.
Please comply & lets keep this out of the court systems, Newspapers & TV Headlines.

Hoping I'll get something Back From The Past! LOL laugh laugh laugh

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for my first morning chuckle Dick.

Daryl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
lol....Now how long before somebody really tries it... smile

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The worst deal I ever made.....I lost money. If you sold it for more than you paid, I wouldn't complain too much.

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I always like the people who come up to you after you have sold whatever it is and , tell you you sold it to cheap . Most the time its just them poking the puppy i think because they did not get the chance to buy whatever it was . It seems.. In this new wave picker flipper world that TV has created , you see it more and more Everyone's a self proclaimed auction king or barter bandit in my area now . I forgot to mention certified as well .

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My dumbest deal was probably buying about $3000 in Tokheim stock that in a couple years was worth about $15 when they went Chap. 11.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like the people @ swapmeets & shows who come up to us after we bought something from them years ago & angrily say,"YOU STOLE THAT FROM ME! mad "...really?.......you helped me load it in my truck and bought me lunch afterwards.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Lol.. no doubt. The guy that bought my sign was actually a real nice guy and we've had several transactions since then. My dumb deals are on me... I'd never give someone a bad time after they paid my price.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I told Amistadi he should collect signs to go with his car collection, then proceeded to sell him his first signs, a Citgo, Mobil and Jenney. Look what he blossomed into. I should have kept those signs.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
I told Amistadi he should collect signs to go with his car collection, then proceeded to sell him his first signs, a Citgo, Mobil and Jenney. Look what he blossomed into. I should have kept those signs.

True that!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
It wasn't a dumb deal, but last summer when I started collecting and picking, I found a really nice Texaco Valor motor oil can. I think it was a 1 gallon or a 2 gallon. It was in very good condition compared to the ones I see on ebay. I sold it for $50 which is about what it's worth, to a guy who was here on vacation. The next day he came up to me in an antique shop. He told me that he had been to a big Texaco collector's house. He showed the guy the can he bought off me a little earlier in the day and I guess the collector had never seen one before. He offered him $200 for it but the guy would not sell. grin

Last edited by cancollector; Fri May 16 2014 12:08 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When you buy something theres always the guy that runs up to you and says you paid too much and when you sell it theres always a guy that says you sold it too cheap. When you sell it theres always the guy that says its too beat up- and on and on. When I get to kicking myself my wife usually reminds me that this is supposed to be fun. When I start feeling good about myself, my wife usually gets to kicking me. I try to remember to "Just roll with it" If you cant at least get your money back, just get what you can and get it out of your sight-- And remember to say to yourself "Next!" If its not a sure thing, -no brainer-then its a gamble and when you gamble you have to know that sometimes your gonna lose. When your new at anything , there is a lot of gambling involved. One thing I've learned is that when I dont know what I'm doing, hurrying is not a good idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved