Next Thread
Print Thread
#53821 Fri Aug 24 2007 08:33 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
Everybody should look at what one buyer is doing on Ebay to fight back against the crook from Argentina. Look at #250157880294 before Ebay takes it off. They won't do anything about this guy, but I bet they won't allow this when they find it.
I turned him in on the Sinclair sign. Did anyone else???

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#53822 Fri Aug 24 2007 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That ebayer is doing something that is efective however i went about it in a different way.....

When i spotted a phony Moehn Beer porcelain sign i immediately listed my real one on ebay so it would compete with this repo......I then stated in the description how to tell the differences between the repo & the original, it was very obvious..........

After the auction ended i recieved an email from the high bidder on the repo & he told me even though he only paid a fraction of what i was asking, he did not want this repo & he cancelled his payment......

here is my real one .......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290132275742&ssPageName=STRK:MEUS:IT&ih=019

HERE IS THE REPO AUCTION
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140125504251

#53823 Fri Aug 24 2007 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I reported the phony Green Streak--but it still sold.

Frank Jordan
#53824 Fri Aug 24 2007 08:11 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Looks like the seller of the phony beer sign got another victim also http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140125039446

[This message has been edited by gaspumpman (edited 08-24-2007).]

#53825 Fri Aug 24 2007 08:38 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I've been watching these fake sign posts for a while and from the time I saw the first one I thought this...Isn't the first thing you would do as a collector is ask yourself what is a Wasatch sign doing in GERMANY. I don't care what kind of Frontier sign you throw up on ebay if it is in Africa, Germany , Argentina or Iraq I aint gonna bid a nickel no matter how good it looks because it makes no sense that the sign is there in the first place.
That being said I think these scum are really doing a LOT of harm to our hobby.

#53826 Fri Aug 24 2007 09:10 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
In the late 80,s I went to Germany a few times.

I found a place in Munich that had a pre-visible, coke machines, chrome kichen tables and chairs, etc.. all original. More in a Dept store and guess what?.. they got them from the first place!

I talked to them they would go over and but for a few weeks driving around many states.. then send containers full back and sell out of their and other stores. At that time they were getting about double what the stuff would fetch here.

Same thing on vintage motorcycles, went in a shop and saw 2 licence tag toppers for auto plates from New York..tried to buy one not for sale. A few years ago I sold a 27 Harley basket to a fellow in Germany. I would check his auctions and could see some of my parts being sold worldwide. Then I saw that license topper and asked if it was from the shop I had seen it in.. he said yes he bought all the vintage stuff from the estate when the owner died.

So here is a topper that went NY to Germany and then ? maybe back to the US.

The parts he did not use from my bike (he built a vintage racer) went from Canada to Germany to ??

So to answer the question, when I see an American oil sign in Germany for sale it does not raise an alarm bell.. South Anerica.. maybe..??

I also collect bicyle plates they are town specific.. I have at least 400 and they do turn up in the most odd places.. example in a border town here near the,WA state border..I got a Mesa Arizona plate. People move all the time. Servicemen and tourists bring what is hot into other countries.. ie Levis into Russia...it goes on and on..

Now a lot of stuff should not be overseas but a lot does get there

#53827 Sat Aug 25 2007 01:20 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
It is just a matter of time before they realize they need to omit the pictures of the backs of those fakes on e-bay.

------------------
ROD [Mich.]

ROD [Mich.]
#53828 Sat Aug 25 2007 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
SHHHHHHHHHHHH !
HOPE THE SCUM BAG IS NOT READING THIS SITE.
db

#53829 Sat Aug 25 2007 10:59 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
There is plenty of the fake sellers here in the USA, and not all the backs are rusty...This scam has been going on ever since signs were first reproduced in the 1980s or so. There used to be an old fellow from some where in the west, that sold at the old Pate swap meet in Texas, He would beat up the repos, while at the meet, and sell them as old, laughing all the while..He would say,"Barnum was right, there are plenty of suckers"

R D

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved