OP Offline
Veteran Member
more

IG 2 014 (400x225).jpg IG 2 017 (400x225).jpg
Gasman84470 #557269 Thu Jul 31 2014 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Any way it was an enjoyable whirlwind visit to Iowa for me and my wife but it involved lots of driving. We did 23 hours and 52 minutes of driving time over two days to DM and the gas consumption efficiency plummeted with the trailer on the back. More than a few idle conversations that I over heard were in reference to doing something to make gas consumption better; going diesel, getting a MB or Dodge tall van.
While DB makes light of the fact lots of the good stuff is gone by Tuesday night in fact there is still plenty to chose from on Wednesday. One vendor showed up on Wed AM and was swarmed. MM had his pumps barely unloaded and they were all unspoken for. The open room buying was new to me and you get a different look into peoples lives and habits. Some had young children running around the bed which was laden with GLOBES! Most of the guys are good ole boys with a wobbly pop in one hand and a yarn to tell.
Prices for stuff seemed to drop even over the 36 hours I was there. So there is another benefit to being there longer and/or later.

Most of all there were people there to help or loan your a trolley. Kudos to Kevin Frith, Mark Smith, the Hops, GasPumpRob for the hand they gave me with bringing stuff and or loading it.
Also met a few class act guys in the auditorium that were old gassers.
I will go again, it was a blast but I will give myself more time and a bigger wallet!

Gasman84470 #557281 Fri Aug 01 2014 02:50 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
What I dont get, is it sounds as if many are back home already, and the auction is today!!
So the show which is supposed to be on Wed.-Thurs. actually starts on Tuesday with early buying. Some people are loading up by noon on Wednesday according to one posting. And then the auction is Friday.
Outside of my normal everyday confusion, I'm confused.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Steven C. #557299 Fri Aug 01 2014 06:01 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Anyone get a picture of the "OK" lighted sign that was sold inside in the banquet hall? My favorite sign of the show.

Wanted: Nebraska advertising items Cushman, Dempster, Archer oil etc.
Steven C. #557309 Fri Aug 01 2014 06:53 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Originally Posted By: Steve C.
What I dont get, is it sounds as if many are back home already, and the auction is today!!
So the show which is supposed to be on Wed.-Thurs. actually starts on Tuesday with early buying. Some people are loading up by noon on Wednesday according to one posting. And then the auction is Friday.
Outside of my normal everyday confusion, I'm confused.
Steve, A lot of us use these venues as a way to pick up previously purchased items. One location makes it easier for most to make deliveries. I got there on Monday, parked my 24' car trailer in the, pay to park lot, next door. On Tuesday at 6 A.M. I was out picking up stuff and wheeling it to the trailer. I packed all day, while looking at all the stuff coming in. Spent time visiting with friends. I then picked up three more pumps on Wednesday morning. Once I was loaded, I had seen everything outside several times. I was on the road by 8 A.M. headed East. The room/room does not interest me as it feels like I'm imposing on a person's privacy. I know that's silly but it's just how I feel? The auction is always interesting but I have a collection that I need to pick up on Saturday morning and staying would have been cutting it way too close. Confusing yes but it's a way to make it all work. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

gasmansgp #557314 Fri Aug 01 2014 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Paul I parked right beside your trailer and was hoping to meet you but that didn't happen. My trailer mostly had stuff that was pre-purchased. Iowa is a great central location.
Steve as I said in an earlier post some people started selling stuff on Sunday. That bothers some but what the heck all power to you if you want to show up early.
The Holiday Inn does have an air conditioned center court yard that allows for people to meet and greet especially if it is too warm out. It is a nice, if somewhat rustic venue, for what has evolved into IG.
There's an auction? Just kidding of course but I was personally underwhelmed by the selection this year.

Gasman84470 #557326 Fri Aug 01 2014 08:46 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Fred, Sorry we didn't get to talk. Busy couple of days huh? Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved