Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#557563 Sat Aug 02 2014 10:25 AM
S
OP Offline
S
In late 2013, I purchased a large cash of signs that were saved from a demolition project in the Brooklyn Area of New York. Most were Sporting Good related. There were Three sets of the Oil Signs representing Gulf, Sun, Marathon, and Vacuum. One set was sold to another sign collector, who interestingly enough is not a collector of Oil and gas Memorabilia. All are marked with the sign makers name who was in business from around 1870 to late 1915. I have done an extensive research project about the sign maker that encompasses well over 300 plus hours. Very interesting, and according to what I have found in regards to the sign maker, the items he produced are considered rare. Thought you may enjoy seeing these. Any addition information would be appreciated and please feel free to contact me via message, or e-mail. lednick@hotmail.com
Bruce

"PURVEYOR OF FINE VICTORIAN ANTIQUTIES and RARE TRAPS".
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Stencils for making Generic Clocks, not considered Signs IMO.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I've seen smaller versions used to mark production lot times in the food industry onto cases.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Did I read that right; You spent 300 hours researching the maker of these stencils?

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
Did I read that right; You spent 300 hours researching the maker of these stencils?

Yes that is right way over 300 hours on the research and I am in the process of writing an article now. Although very difficult to track the makers, it was some of the best research I have done.

With these being 19 inches full rounds they could have also been used for production codes on Barrel Lids. I am sure there could have been a multitude of uses for them. I had an old timer tell me that he can remember when he was very young seeing one of the Gulf Rounds with the numerals on the side of a gas station. Could have been put there to advertise the type of gas and or oil that they sold. Any theory is a good one on these.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Being 19", I can see where they could have been used for Barrel markings for Month filled. I guess center hole was for hanging.
300 hours was done searching Company History, not just these stencils.

S
OP Offline
S
Dick,
Thank you for asking.
The majority of research time was spent on the maker, his life, business, and clients, although there was a lot of time time put into the varies companies he manufactured for.
For the time period he was in business, he had some very prominent clients for that era in time, which spanned from around 1870 until Dec of 1915, which included the four oil companies, many of the Trap manufactures from the northeast, Creek Chubb, Heddon, Peters, UMC, Mason Duck decoys, Coca-Cola, Abbey and Imbrie, The Seaboard Airline Railway, and others. His boy went to work with him in the late 1880s, and the business flourished through the 1890s and the first decade and a half of the 1900s. The Father died in 1908 and the boy Dec. 27th 1915. On March 27th 1916 the business was sold and incorporated. I was fortunate enough for the History Archivist for the county of New York to send me copies of the original Incorporation papers when it was incorporated in march of 1916. History is just as important as the field of antiquities that we favor collecting. Many disregard the history of the hobby or specific field we collect and when we do that, we just have meaningless stuff.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: signcollector
History is just as important as the field of antiquities that we favor collecting. Many disregard the history of the hobby or specific field we collect and when we do that, we just have meaningless stuff.

Bruce, I couldn't agree more with you that the history and stories behind the items we collect is equally if not more important then the stuff.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Interesting History. Love to research items I find as well.
Given the time period and location of the company would date the Marathon Oil to it's Riverside Oil ownership or at least very early Transcontinental Days. Rare to find anything from that time period.

Chuck

S
OP Offline
S
Yes Chuck, Marathon has a rich long running history that can be traced back to 1887, and Vacuum even father back to 1866. Vacuum was bought by Standard Oil in 1879. It originated the Mobil trademark in 1899, but Mobil gas, and Mobil oil came in later. Due to the Sherman Antitrust Act, Standard Oil was broken up in 1911, and Vacuum once again became an independent company. Vacuum Oil and Standard Oil of New York (Socony) merged in 1931. During the Second World War, the Tschechowitz I & II sub camps of Auschwitz provided forced labor for Vacuum Oil Company facilities in Poland that were captured and operated by Nazi Germany.
In 1955, the company became Socony Mobil Oil Company. In 1963 it was renamed "Mobilgas" then just "Mobil".
*Reference the History of Vacuum Oil.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved