Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: HI-OCTANE
1920s soap box

Thanks cool! starting to look for oddball items like that for the shelf in 1/2 bath

WTB. Arizona quarts,Indian signs/cans, Musgo/Shell/Speedway 79,graphic signs/cans,#616-886-4917...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This little project took a couple of months to accomplish, but it turned out great!
I first rerceived a call from a woman on Long Island that was looking to sell her "DUCK" sign and was wondering if I'd be interested. I assured her that I was, but it was dependant on getting someone to look at the sign for me and arrange transportation! I got a hold of "DOC" right away, and we made arrangements for him to travel over and look at the sign and call me while he was there.
The sign turned out to be just as good or better than the seller had proclaimed, so I gave him the go ahead and told him to pay the lady and take the sign home! Now came the tricky part in getting it to North Dakota! Doc was willing to build a crate for it, but I was still worried about shipping a big sign like that across the country! There were just too many variables involved to really risk the venture!
I advertised here on Old Gas, looking for a ride for the sign and had no responses for quite some time and had exhausted most of the avenues I had for help, when ED (Metro Petro) called and offered me his assistance, as he was coming to Iowa Gas in a cube van and would have roon! Then the race was on to find the right time and place for Doc to get the sign to him! I never realized just what a task it is to get west from Long Island! The amount of traffic and tolls encountered is enormous! This little project had to be accomplished in the wee hours of the very early morning to be able to work out! Both ED and DOC stepped up and made arrangements to meet and the transfer was complete!
That's when the proverbial c**p hit the fan! It looked as though ED might not be able to come because of a mix up in his Iowa Gas registration, and he wouldn't be rooming at the Holiday Inn! He was pretty worried about being roomed off site, but decided to come anyway at the last minute and the "DUCK" was on its way!
When we unwrapped it at Iowa Gas, it caused quite a stir, and we had a lot of people constantly coming by to look! I priced it to one gentleman that wanted to buy it and I really thought he was going to take it from me for a while there! He was on the phone for several minutes and texting pictures, and finally passed on it! I really wanted to bring it home anyway, because the Warden knew all about it and was really looking forward to seeing the big "DUCK"!
Unloading from Iowa was a big project in itself, as I hauled a few things back for others and had bought quite a bit of stuff myself, so the DUCK got put in the entry hallway, until last week, when I cleaned off a little tape residue and prepared a spot on the garage wall for it! The garage wall is where the Warden has staked claim and put up a few things that she likes, and she "REALLY" likes the "DUCK"! Here's a picture of it up on the wall, and I have a feeling that it might be a little tough to ever get it down again!! LOL
This great piece of history has been stored away for the last 40 years, and its up and out on display again, and it could never have been accomplished with out the help of of "Doc" and ED--"Metro Petro". A big "THANK YOU" to both of you guys, I truly appreciate the help you gave me in getting it here!
PS--You might have noticed the wooden copy that Doc made of it, that's on the wall in front of his new tractor purchase! Great work Doc!

Long Island Duckling 2.jpg Long Island Duckling 2.JPG Long Island Duckling.JPG Long Island Duckling 1.jpg
Last edited by K W FRITH; Sun Aug 17 2014 12:48 PM. Reason: added picture

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks great Kevin!

Braden Splichal

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
picked up another hand chair to go with my red one! maybe some day I'll have enough to go around some type of table smile

also bought a large lot of old seed & feed bags.

Last edited by BryceG; Sun Aug 17 2014 03:49 PM.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Good story and the old gas transport network has worked out for me several times. It looks as if the wife has claimed the sign and I would say it wont come off the wall neither.

Thanks, Phil
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Long Island Duck in Devils Lake, sorta makes sense.
Great sign, I am sorry I missed it at IG Kevin.

Last edited by Gasman84470; Sun Aug 17 2014 04:21 PM.
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
You are welcome Kevin, I'm glad to have been able to help you out.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R

08162014 010.jpg 08162014 009.jpg 08162014 011.jpg

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R

08162014 007.jpg

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Nice sign Kevin can't wait to see it in person!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The duck sign is cool Kevin.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Bought a coke sign locally...similar to my other with yellow buttons...

clean bordens sign

cool lollipop top

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I ran into some Lowe Brothers signs this weekend. Both the blue are sand/glass paint just one is wooden and the other is metal. Both still have original Lowe Brothers Dayton O stamped on the back. The other is a tin sign.

lowe brothers paint sign.jpg lowe new.jpg lowe paints.jpg
H
H
Picked this up over the weekend

image.jpg
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Great sign Kevin and "condition is everything". Is it 48" or 60"

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun