#561820 Tue Aug 19 2014 06:29 AM
F
F40LM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Hello guys,

After many months of planning my house build is finally in full swing. Since the Fry 117 I have will serve as one of the lights on the deck I have started the process of bringing it back to at least some of it's prior glory.

I am a complete novice at doing gas pumps, but I know enough from doing car wrenching to be dangerous.

If you would like to add CONSTRUCTIVE advice please do so, non-constrcutive advice shall be ignored.

This will not be a full blown rebuild, I do not plan to take it back to 100% perfection. This will be a well intentioned but cost effective rebuild.

Do not misunderstand, I think old gas pumps are very cool. But they are gas pumps, not holy relics.

Michael

IMG_0787.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
One word:
Rustoration.
Good luck and I can't wait to see the result.

Last edited by Steve C.; Tue Aug 19 2014 07:17 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
F
F40LM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
The glass was removed last year. So this weekend I removed the number rods from the top of the pump.

Here are some 'before and after' pics. Using CLR on the numbers, put the 4" grinder with a steel brush cone on the rods.

IMG_1086[1].JPG IMG_1081[1].JPG
F
F40LM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Originally Posted By: Steve C.
One word:
Rustoration.
Good luck and I can't wait to see the result.

Thanks Steve.

Sadly the pump was face down in a ditch for MANY years. The front is in worse shape than the back. I need to decide if I will try to fill the rust dimples in before prime and paint. The wife says I should leave it, will give it more of a authentic look.

IMG_1083[1].JPG IMG_1082[1].JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Honestly I'd leave it, and go for a Rustoration. It'll look good I'm sure when its done!

Braden Splichal

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Check these out and get in touch with Matt. Hopefully, he can give you a couple tips.
I look very forward to your results as I hope to also be doing this in the next year or so and I'll be coming into it with the same experience, none!

BTW, it looks like that pump has great bones. Very nice example it appears!!

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...true#Post530199

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...true#Post525717

Last edited by Steve C.; Tue Aug 19 2014 08:11 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
F
F40LM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Originally Posted By: bsplichal95
Honestly I'd leave it, and go for a Rustoration. It'll look good I'm sure when its done!

That's what I will probably do.

The rods can be seen (barely) in the upper right corner of this pic. The wire brush cup did a great job cleaning them up.

The ten long bolts that circle the outside of the glass are toast though. I hope to find them local this week. But if anyone has a source for them online cheap let me know. Worse comes to worse, will add them to the 'Vics66' list of things to buy.

IMG_1085[1].JPG
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I can't believe there's not more rot out, you got lucky, its in pretty decent condition still. They are right, try to keep it as original as you can. Find an old brass nozzle and old hose for it. Just try & wire it for a globe which sits in the cup on top and your good. Good luck Bud.

Goober

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Do not under any circumstances try to remove the rings from the cylinder. Wire brush, steel wool, Ospho and paint them. Tape off the glass.
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
F
F40LM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Originally Posted By: Catauladave
Do not under any circumstances try to remove the rings from the cylinder. Wire brush, steel wool, Ospho and paint them. Tape off the glass.
Dave

No worries Dave, I remember that was the first piece of advice I got about the cylinder. It was removed with rings, just dusted off, and wrapped in about 4 layers of bubble wrap for storage. Will get it out soon for the steel wool etc cleaning.

IMG_20131019_200855_588 small.jpg
F
F40LM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Originally Posted By: Goober's Station
I can't believe there's not more rot out, you got lucky, its in pretty decent condition still. They are right, try to keep it as original as you can. Find an old brass nozzle and old hose for it. Just try & wire it for a globe which sits in the cup on top and your good. Good luck Bud.

Goober

Would love to find an old brass nozzle and hose, just afraid if I do it will be outside my budget. But going to give it a good try. If I still don't have one by the completion I have a hose and semi-modern nozzle that can go on it as a temp.

F
F40LM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
So after checking with the guys at Ace Bolt and Screw today I decided I had three options on the exterior cylinder bolts:

1. buy them from a online supplier, about $65 to $70 for 10 with shipping

2. buy threaded rods from lowes or home depot, much cheaper (about $16 with 20 nuts), but wouldn't look the same.

3. buy cold roll steel and make my own rods

So being a self-helper and a little hard-headed I of course decided on number 3.

Picked up 5 48" rods from Lowes for $20.65 and 10 1/4-20 nuts (same size and thread count as original rods) for $1.40. Will swing by Harbour Freight for a basic tap and die set for $10. Already have an idea how to round the top of the rods...will just have to see how these turn out. The good news is that the original bolts are a little under 24" each, so will have some extra length to try a couple techniques to round the tops.

IMG_1095.JPG image_23672.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Fun to watch Grasshoppers save $!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Use lots of oil. You may have to replace the die with a better quality one, like from Ace hardware or somewhere of that caliber. If you have never used a die before, once you get it started straight go about a half turn at a time and back up each time to break the chips.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Do you have a mig welder? I would cut the heads off about an inch down off of the original rods and splice them onto the new rods. Taper the piece you cut off and taper the end on the new rod. Weld the two pieces together. Then carefully grind and finish the rod shank or turn on a lathe.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved