.99 no reserve ends Sunday

Bid early and don't miss out!

Item # 321498230341

$_60.jpg $_59.jpg
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
$30 shipping? Might be why there not getting bids....12-15 tops to ship this sign from coast to coast with insurance! Just shipped a sign to Mn yesterday that was 32x12 and was $14.10 with insurance.

Last edited by Perdue31; Fri Aug 22 2014 07:07 AM.

Always looking for Mint oil cans. Esp Aviation and Outboard Oil Cans and pumps. Looking fot Cheerwine signs!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's funny in so many ways.... These sellers wonder why no one bids. There's a reason why E-bay offers a shipping calculator so a buyer in Minnesota doesn't pay the same as the one in California.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H

Last edited by henlovestoys; Fri Aug 22 2014 01:18 PM.
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
I do offer shipping discounts if a more local buyer requests it and assuming there is room to give a discount.

The shipping cost I charge my buyers covers all of my shipping expenses including, box, packing material, the 10% to ebay, and the actual cost of shipping + full insurance.

I think $30 is fair to anyone not in MN, WI, ND, SD, IA, or IL.

Those are the states I can ship to for less by using a local carrier called SPEEDEE DELIVERY.

Hope that clarifies.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
eBay gives sellers a 10-20% discount when you print out your lable. It doesn't clarify anything except you over charging people for shipping and trying to cover your fees by doubling your shipping charges. Just not right in my book

Always looking for Mint oil cans. Esp Aviation and Outboard Oil Cans and pumps. Looking fot Cheerwine signs!
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
I don't see it that way.
If a more local buyer requests a shipping discount I can almost always provide one for them. I don't ship USPS, only UPS, FedEx, and speedee unless a buyer requests it specifically. I flat rate shipping and there have been many times where it has been of much benefit to my buyer. I look at the TOTAL sale price.

Anytime I have bid on anything at any type of auction, I have always taken responsibility as well as the use of good common sense when I determine my highest bid (including item cost, and any buyers premium or shipping cost if applicable).

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
ok. This is my point I am trying to make; if it only cost you $15 to ship a pump plate to a seller, where is the other $15 dollars going?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
if i paid $30 for that sign to be shipped, then I would just request an itemized bill of shipping costs... and if it wasnt provided or if it didnt add up then I would leave 1 of 5 stars on the detailed seller rating.

Ebay takes the DSR system pretty seriously!

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
My shipping policy is as follows.

All items are shipped at a flat rate cost as specified by gr8signfinds which covers shipping, packaging, materials, insurance, and crating if necessary or it's a large item shipping truck freight.

Items within UPS and Fed-Ex maximum size limits will ship UPS, Fed-Ex, or SPEEDEE(where available - ND, SD, MN, IA, WI, and IL).
Items within size limits ship within 1 business day with tracking and insurance.

Items over the maximum size get shipped in a fully enclosed wood crate with tracking and insurance via Truck Freight(various carriers depending on the buyer's location).
Over size items ship within 5 business days, most of the time sooner. Tracking and insurance included.

Items over $249 require signature for delivery.

Shipping costs are variable. I do not get any special discount through any of the carriers. The flat rate shipping cost is pretty close to what I pay to ship (all things considered).

If packaged correctly, this sign will easily cost me $20 to ship plus another $10 in box and materials. Boxes and packaging materials are not free. My flat rate shipping charge covers all costs and is to be considered as a shipping AND handling fee.

Again - if the buyer knows what they want to pay out the door and comes up with a final value that they are willing to pay, then where is YOUR hang up?

I am allowed by Ebay to charge whatever I need in shipping to cover my costs. Ebay auctions are considered binding contracts. When a bid is placed, the buyer acknowledges and approves the posted shipping cost / policy listed within the auction terms. When people ask for discounts because they are local, I honor them out of good will not because I have to. They bid knowing full well what the shipping cost is and what eBay's policies are before they bid and won the item.

There is a lot of value in my shipping because I use custom ordered packaging materials in bulk and spare no expense to get items packaged correctly and arrive safely. I find that when a buyer spends $1500 on a sign, they would prefer to spend a few extra bucks to know that it will be handled and packaged properly and arrive in a way that exceeded their expectations.

Let me ask you...

If I buy a item from YOU and you package the item in s $6 275# crush test double wall special order box, use $2 worth of heavy duty packing tape, $1 worth of stickers saying "DO NOT DROP" & "DO NOT BEND", plus pay $19.75 to UPS for the actual shipping cost, would you charge me $19.75? Thats not even taking into consideration that ebay hits all sellers a 10% fee on shipping charges on every item sold.

SO...

19.75+6.00+2.00+1.00 = $28.75

If you flat rate me at $30, you would net $27 which equals a loss of 1.75

I wouldn't think about it that hard if I were a buyer though.

I'd take the advertised shipping/handling fee into consideration when determining my final bid. And, I would be happy when it arrived fast, safe, and packaged in a way that exceeded my expectations.

M
M
Bryce.. 1 star is a little overkill.. u might add a why did you charge so much for shipping in the feedback comment and leave him 3 or 4 stars as the item did arrive safe and secure in a timely fashion. I agree with you guys overcharging for shipping is a killer.

G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Now read my explanation and then decide again if you still feel the same way. gr8signfinds is a business and it has to be treated like one. I do not over charge shipping to put more money in my pocket, I do it to COVER MY COSTS.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
If your going to charge for all that why not tack a 12% buyers premium for ebay fees and $5 per half hour for packing to cover your total cost. It is a business right?

G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Because as I stated, I charge to cover costs, not to profit from shipping charges.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Could be the Southern in me, but if a man is going to spend hundreds/thousands of dollars with me I'll spare a box and a few feet of tape

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved