Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-VINTAGE-PORC...=item3a973d7275

Not a sign you see everyday from India...figured it'd be worth mentioning so nobody gets burned.

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
.. cool

redhatsn.JPG

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Check his other items and then completed auctions. He is deep sea fishing and has caught a quite a few big suckers. Big money organized crime from India. Coming to a farm auction or a swap meet near everyone soon!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reading the feedback that this Seller has acquired, is sicking!

One numbnut, bought a big time fake Flying A sign and then made the following statement: "BEST SELLER ON EBAY!! PLEASE GIVE THIS PERSON YOUR BUSINESS!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!"

One can not help the "brain dead"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Bob Richards; Tue Sep 16 2014 04:12 PM. Reason: my grammar sucks ... as does my spelling!

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Did they make a 24" single sided

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
this is enough to proceed:... cool

Item location:
MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, India

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Could be fake fish building feedback for the long term big haul.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The amount of money these crooks make is unreal. More lucrative then the sales of illicit drugs.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: advertologist
this is enough to proceed:... cool

Item location:
MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, India
Doesn't anybody buying these signs wonder how the heck these get to India, Germany, Argentina ?

Last edited by Keystone Gas Man; Tue Sep 16 2014 05:24 PM.

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I still don't understand what India has against us. confused

E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
What I don't get is how day after day MORE & MORE buyers are getting robbed (robbing themselves) buying these fake signs. It's truly amazing to me how many 12" rusted beat up porcelain signs that can be bought for $10-20 ea sell for $100.00+ DAILY.

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rick, a quick check of India's per capita income (nominal) was $1570 in 2013. They ranked 120th out of 164 countries by the World Bank...

If I lived in such poverty and squalor and the Citizens of a Richer Country was "Just throwing money" at us for fake items... I would do what they are doing...

Hell, China has been doing the same thing for over 50 years!...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I know It's been talked to death before, and I know It's buyer beware but I bet you at some point in time there will be some sort of class action law suit against eBay for allowing this kind of stuff to be sold. Whether or not It's won or even a "valid case" isn't the point, in this sue happy world we live in there's bound to be a lawyer willing to take it on especially with the kind of money were talking about. There sure would be a lot of documentation for proof that eBay was warned fraudulent activity was rampant on there site and they allowed it to continue. Yes I know there protected, yes I've read several times in several places in their guidelines and rules that they're not responsible for "anything at all" basically....but again not the point, I just bet someone somehow will try and hold them accountable at some point. Just my thoughts

Pete
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sickening!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Notice the backs of all of this sellers signs are not rusted up.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I know for a fact a few members of THIS SITE worked with these crooks to have signs made!!! I am SERIOUS!
Not gonna throw them under the bus BUT several know who!
When you ship these crooks rare signs to duplicate YOUR PART OF THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!
When you show these crooks what signs to make and how to make them exactly like the original, dated, makers name and all...
Then YOU are the problem!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tom, with all due respect, by NOT telling others who these people are who help the crooks, doesn't that make you PART of the problem by knowing but not helping to curb it. Just saying and not trying to start anything. smile

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Amen Tom ; Ron Lease-Collector ;;;;;;;;

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
KZ I knew you'd be the first one to throw me under the bus as usual...
Then you guys wonder why no one has done anything about this problem!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Why??? because it is such a big secret to a few of you and by keeping mum you are enabling it.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It would be good to know who you're talking about. I don't think you'd be throwing them under the bus, just letting people make their own decisions as to who to deal with and who to avoid.
Originally Posted By: tomzcollectiblez
I know for a fact a few members of THIS SITE worked with these crooks to have signs made!!! I am SERIOUS!
Not gonna throw them under the bus BUT several know who!
When you ship these crooks rare signs to duplicate YOUR PART OF THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!
When you show these crooks what signs to make and how to make them exactly like the original, dated, makers name and all...
Then YOU are the problem!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
interesting... why would any members knowingly contribute to this problem? are they intentionally being mischievous in hopes of selling fake signs for big $$$$?

I'd have a hard time keeping those names under lock & key... time to air out that dirty laundry & let everyone viewing this site know who is contributing to this and then let them defend themselves.

anyone who thinks these India signs are not a serious problem or that they wouldn't be fooled themselves by them... throw 1 decent one into a bunch of authentic signs laying on the ground at a vendors spot at a show & they become very hard to spot.

in the past 8-10 shows, I haven't attended without seeing at least one person walking out with a fake sign that they bought assuming it was real. T-53 in Columbia, Penn Drake in Terre Haute, Good Luck PPP in Columbus, Caterpillar at Iowa Gas, etc etc

Last edited by BryceG; Wed Sep 17 2014 07:33 AM. Reason: examples added

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think Tom knows of a few members who had signs made for their own personal use. Whoever made them probably didn't just make one. I don't think the people who wanted them were setting up shop to sell repops but rather having something made they couldn't find or obtain at a reasonable cost. With that said the repopers have been educated by old gas among others in what needs to be corrected to make a better phony sign. This latest round is getting better in quality and will fool more people. Talk to your friends on oldgas but don't expect Tom to name names.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: bustermonty
signs made for their own personal use.

Originally Posted By: bustermonty
Talk to your friends on oldgas but don't expect Tom to name names.

still have a hard time believing that people are spending the time & money it would take to communicate with these suppliers and establish the design & sign to their specifications and wants.

and I dont blame Tom for not naming anyone, he's done what was needed already... which was raise awareness

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: BryceG
[quote=bustermonty]signs made for their own personal use.

can you point us in the direction of which signs are in question without naming individuals?... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
How can anyone justify having an item repoped especially by those raping the hobby...don't people have honor or self respect???

I fail to see why anyone would try to defend their actions. Let them come forward especially if they feel they haven't done anything wrong. If they feel they have to hide and act like cowards...sounds like they are carrying some guilt. Why do something or be part of something that you publicly can't proclaim and be proud of?

When one protects people like that they only enable them and essentially become part of the problem.

Dave GILL,
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Originally Posted By: tomzcollectiblez
KZ I knew you'd be the first one to throw me under the bus as usual...
Then you guys wonder why no one has done anything about this problem!

+1

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I recently caught a couple scammers on Facebook selling a Pontiac 42" as original to a friend of mine. They refused to repay the guy his money back after he received the sign, noticed it was a repop, and tried to get his money back. After failed attempts by my friend and some others on the Facebook page to get the man to be honorable and refund my friend his money. He finally went silent. So, I took this guys and his wife's name with the address my friend sent the check to and I did some background checking. I quickly found out that this couple had been taken to court both criminally and civilly for defrauding two different businesses his wife was the bookkeeper for. She had wrote numerous unauthorized checks to dummy companies and her husbands company in excess of 500 grand. The court awarded the landscaping company the biggest judgement in the history of this small town in Georgia, roughly $1.2 million dollars.(as explained in the story within the first link I provided). I confirmed that it was this guy and his wife selling the sign with their photos on Facebook and the mugshot of his wife I found (link number 2). Then I posted my findings and all the links to the Facebook page at midnight last Thursday evening. By, 8 the next morning the guy amazingly popped up and called my friend. Agreed he would give him his money back and also strongly insisted he remove the posting that revealed their past indiscretions. He obliged and took it down in order to get his money back. I promised him I would not share this with anyone publicly until he got his money from them. Today he notified me that he got a certified check from them. So, tonight I am outing them out of respect for the honest people in this hobby. I felt this thread was a sign and perfect discussion to bring this up in. The couple was very concerned about their reputation in this hobby and insisted the post be removed so people wouldn't find out what they had done. Leading me to believe they fully intended on selling people signs in the future. I'm not sure if they are members of this site. But, I'm sure they will be praying on people in this hobby in the future. The guys name is Steve Reaves and his wife's name is Kelly Reaves. They are from Ball Ground, GA.
I have included links to the story about their past con job they were caught pulling and both implicated in. I also included her mugshot. It was taken ten years ago. When compares to the current photo I pulled from her Facebook page that I also provided. It is definitely the same woman. She is just ten years younger in the mugshot. Also, when the husband called my friend after this info was posted publicly on Facebook. He admitted it was him and his wife. Declaring they had, "changed." That they had made mistakes in the past and were good, honest people. Which, would be nice and possible to believe if this didn't start with them getting caught up in more fraudulent activity. This was not an accidental sale of a good repro that they thought was authentic. His wife admitted publicly in a comment, in defense of her husband, that they new it wasn't real and never said it was when they sold it. Even though they sold it for $2500.00 and clearly stated in private messages that they thought it was real. Private messages that I have copies of. I see these peoples as con artists who have found a way to make a quick buck under the table selling repros and fakes. I realize this is a lot to process. But, we very rarely actually catch a person with a history of fraudulent behavior on this level scamming people in this hobby. They are the same age, live in the same small town, and the picture from the Facebook page matches the lady in the mugshot. You be the judge.
http://www.edmarger.com/articles/milliondollarverdict.htm
http://mugshots.company/booking/2747927/KELLY-REAVES

image.jpg
Repop Pontiac sign

image.jpg
Current picture of Steve and Kelly Reaves

Last edited by Bbburke; Wed Sep 17 2014 06:49 PM.

Check out my finds at Mantiquities on Facebook!!!!

facebook.com/pages/Mantiquities/167580613447712
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
that was a lot of reading, makes you
be more cautious of scams... cool

RANDY
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Sorry. I new it was a lot. But, I needed to include the entire story. It was about a weeks worth of an issue I tried to condense in one comment. I hope it saves someone else from having to go through the same ordeal with these two.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
do they sell on ebay?... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Most of these crooks rely on anonymity and when you remove that sense of security from them they crumble like the turds that they are. More people should have to wear the shame of their past deeds. Reveal them for who they are...these lowlifes deserve no ones sympathy or protection.

Dave GILL,
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I too, would love to know if they sell on ebay?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
They claimed to not have a paypal account to refund the money. So, I would assume they don't sell on Ebay. But, the wife is very underhanded. I wouldn't doubt if she was pretending to be her husband on Facebook and in private messages. When you read the Pms coming from his account only. It appears to be two different people writing the messages. Plus, as soon as we started to call her husband out for being dishonest and scamming. Prior to even knowing about their past. She came up out of the blue and started defending him and taking shots at the buyer. Which was their big slip up. Because it wasn't until I figured out her name and saw her Facebook account was I able to find the goods on them. Not to mention, just by her attitude, I could tell this was not their first rodeo and was confident there had to be more dirt. I had no idea how much dirt and how easy it would be to find.

Last edited by Bbburke; Wed Sep 17 2014 07:39 PM.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Yea I hated to see that go down on Facebook the other week. I saw it in person where the seller bought the sign at a local auction. The auctioneer announcded that he was unsure if it was real. Told everyone to be their own judge on it. I looked it over for a good 30 Mins. It wasn't real. Only sells for $700 at the auction and then the seller tries to say its real and sells for 2500. I am just glad to see the buyer get his money back!

Always looking for Mint oil cans. Esp Aviation and Outboard Oil Cans and pumps. Looking fot Cheerwine signs!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I guess keep a look out for someone selling from Ball Ground Georgia. I have their address. But, just to be safe and I wasn't sure if it was legal. I didn't reveal that much. It's my belief that these people probably can't find employment in the town they live in. Personally, I wouldn't be able to even leave the house in my town if I pulled the scam they did and everyone found out. I assume, and so Did the Lawyer that wrote the story, that they will never pay off the settlement. In order to do that, they have to pretend to not have any income that can be garnished. Therefore, they sell signs privately for cash, don't report it as income on their taxes, and they can make decent money to live off of without paying any of the money they stole back. According to my buddy who is a lawyer. It's the Ol' 1,2. A commonly practiced method of avoiding paying back settlements.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I seen this PONTIAC SCENARIO unfold on facebook FIRST HAND!!
Thanks for your extra efforts in helping your friend and reporting these scammers!

As for this discussion its funny to be called part of the problem when OLDGAS as a whole is guilty!
You sit on here and complaint about the new repo's, BUT THEN GO ON TO GIVE DETAILED DESCRIPTIONS OF THE PROBLEMS!!!
IE) Fonts are off,
Rusty back with bubbles,
No grommets,
No makers mark,
No chips in the field,
Holes are not same as original
etc etc etc....
So they are now fixing all these problems THANKS to the informative crew on oldgas!
So while your sooo quick to point YOUR finger at someone, YOU better look in the mirror AND POINT!!!!
I have NEVER bought a sign from these crooks BUT other members have gotten on here and posted how they had them make signs they cant get otherwise!
Another member buys repos from vintage concepts and sells them all day long as originals YET YOU CONTINUE TO SUPPORT HIM and his auction! Another guy was caught buying fakes from argentina then reselling on oldgas and he is still selling on oldgas!
If you are my friend then call me or talk to me at the shows and I will enlighten you smile But if you have sold your collection years ago and simply get on here to nit pik people and start stife every chance possible then SAVE YOUR DIME + MY TIME!
PS: you think the argentina(repo) crew isnt a member here stealing all the images they want?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Im very glad Jeremy got his money back after Brian busted these 2 clowns. Great investigating skills BB!!

Always Available 973-932-2980

Joe - Iron Vise LLC
sales@ironvise.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Joe.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
invest in pumps! good luck shipping a wayne 60S repo from India!

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Good point!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This has been intersting to read and some good discussion....I can appreciate why people don't mention someone's name for fear of being sued. I also understand the frustration of not knowing who is doing it so you can avoid them...etc. I think Ihave been part of the problem. A few years back I had a grizzly gas sign and a member here asked for a copyof the picture. i was proud of thesign and sent it off. I have no idea if that image will be used for reproduction signs or not.

I also know that when we post a picture here on Oldgas it can show up on Google. I went to Google one day to look up texaco Banners to see what other styles adn types there were...heck, many of the pictures that showed up were mine from posting them here. The first one I noticed was one that I posted that had my dog in the picture...kind of eye opening this world wide web..LOL. I can understand why people don't post pictures here....

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Alex. I had the same question with the complaints about people discussing and posting pictures on this site. I don't understand why anyone would need a collector or anyone else for that matter to give them information to improve reproductions. It would seem to me the picture of an original is all they need and those can be easily found in all kinds of places. Pictures posted on ebay and anywhere on the internet pop up if you google search a particular sign. I'm not sure how realistic it is that the sign repop guys are getting info of this site that they can't get a number of other places. Then again, I have no clue what it takes to make a repro or how someone would go about doing that. I could be completely off base in my thinking. In regards to the legality of naming names. It's not slander if it's true. But yes, you have to be very careful naming names if you can't prove the allegation you are making is true.

I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Are we sure Jeremy got his money back on the Pontiac I witnessed the as well .Jeremy was pretty calm and a lot nicer than I would have been

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Yes. He told me yesterday that he had received a certified check . By the way, I laughed my a** off when I looked at the mugshot link and I saw your comment on that page.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Yes, the #1 defense to slander is the truth.........BUT in the meantime, before you state your "truth" in court, who wants to hire an attorney, spend the time, and shoulder the cost of all that mess should someone decide to sue you? I agree with those that don't want to name names......way too much liability IMO.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Personally, I don't care. If I go down doing the right thing, so be it. I don't tolerate people who steal. They are the lowest of the low in my opinion. Yea, getting sued might not be any fun. But, If I found out someone else got ripped off by these jerkoffs and it could have been prevented had I spoke up. I would feel responsible.

I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
I'm with ya brian

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved