Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Wait, Im confused, Did you buy the same fake twice?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
BOTH ARE BEYOND FAKE. $5 frisbee's.

Last edited by luminor89; Wed Sep 24 2014 07:57 AM.
M
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Originally Posted By: wocopep
Wait, Im confused, Did you buy the same fake twice?

I hate to let you down and slow down your foolish gigleness.....(hey is that a word)? No, I am just comparing another one that is up and was just checking to see if it was the same poop! Thanks for trying to short bus me though.....lmao!

W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Not trying to "short bus" you Mark. Just clarifying your post. Also willing to help anyone identify these known fakes that have been discussed here before. I said it once, so I'll say it again, Do Your Research before you get burned. Buy the books, Get out and go to shows, Talk to collectors who have some long term experience, and the simplest thing, Get a few of the repop catalogues and look at them at length so you will know sizes and fonts of the easy to spot repops.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No disrespect to you here, as I would be lying if I proclaimed to having never been burned by repops or items that I have bought off Ebay that werent what I thought they'd be when they arrived at my door. Too many new sign buyers follow the leader right off the cliff on Ebay. One bit of advise I would suggest is that , especially at first, new guys and gals should buy from reputable sellers. At shows, on Oldgas, ect. Sellers that have a good reputation that they care about. Even if you pay close to retail, its much better than getting burned by one of the countless carpet baggers that Ebay currently shields. So many new collectors want to be instant "pickers" and make a great score on every item. Get to shows and spend time looking and talking to dealers. Look at prices on lots of items and see, touch and feel real signs. If you really have been bitten by the advertising bug, then you will appreciate the beauty and craftsmanship that went into original items. I see your from Alberta and maybe there arent too many Antique or Petro swap meets within driving distance.... Also google "gas signs" or "automotive signs" even if you just click on the "Parts " icon on the top of this page and go to the signs that a lot of the larger suppliers sell it will give you an idea of lots of reproductions that are out there.

Last edited by JimT; Fri Sep 26 2014 03:56 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Gasman84470
Well hopefully you got the 2 for 1 special! Hey there are two kinds of collectors: those that admit they bought repro/fantasy stuff and those that lie about it!

So true...Like the one, with the fake reverse painted Red Indian glass. Buy it, knowing it to be a fake. Then bring the thread to the top and create controversy around it. In an attempt to create a false authentication and catch someone on a fake.

Better then shows...is one of one tutoring from a fellow collector. There are lots of established, advanced collectors in Alberta. You should try connecting with a few of them and try to absorb some of their experience and knowledge.

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Sun Sep 28 2014 09:55 AM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved