Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#57065 Fri Jan 27 2006 10:10 PM
G
OP Offline
G
I hope I'm posting this in the right section.

Got a situation for you guys. I know where a complete stationligter pole is. It has a green porcelain shade with two green spot lights on top. The pole is a typical cast iron fluted air water pole with rust. Otherwise it's in good shape.

Here's my problem, it's in E.St.Louis! If you don't know EAST St.Louis is not a very good part of town (think of Chevy Chase National Lampoons vacation). This is a bad part of town. There is a newer Jeep in front of the old station and doesn't appear to be in-service as anything automotive any more. I'm afraid to go up to the door being a 30yr old clean cut white dude in a nice truck. I know they could very well be nice people but they could very well be just the opposite. I can only imagine what could be inside good or bad.

Any advice on how or if I should proceed or chalk it up to the safety factor? How about value of the station lighter, obviously its not worth my well being. It does not have any logos or any thing like that. I like collecting this stuff but I love my kids and family.

Thanks
Dean

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#57066 Fri Jan 27 2006 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The only thing you can do is get the address - call your county aprisers office and give them the address - tell them you need to contact the owner - they will give you the name and number. Then call. If the county will not give you the number - it can be looked up at the county libuary - I am not sure what the book is called you need to look into - but that one lists even the un-listed numbers. You might even find out the owners living address - might be in your part of the "hood".

Easy if you know how it is done. If you think you need to buy a MAC-10 semi-machine gun I have one of those and a Tommy Gun for sale?

Good luck -

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

#57067 Fri Jan 27 2006 11:43 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I would be interested in the Tommy gun if it is old and you really have one.Hey Dean,just go up to the door and ask,every color of people like the color of money.You dont have to take any with you the first time.Anyway almost all of east St. Louis is vacant now,I go over there all the time and have never had any problems.I grew up in Berkely MO so im not bothered by that type of neighborhood.Put a letter in the mail box offering them what you want for it with your number.What you really need to do is take Mike (new to petro) with you,he can definately distract them as your cutting it down,but dont forget to get mike out of there when you got it,HA HA!!!!!

------------------

#57068 Sat Jan 28 2006 06:42 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
JUST BECAUSE ITS A LOWER INCOME NEIGHBORHOOD DOES NOT GIVE REASON TO BE ALARMED IT IS NOT THEM ITS YOU.JUST GO TO THE DOOR LET THEM KNOW WHAT YOU ARE THINKING.SOUNDS LIKE YOU WERE ALREADY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD ANYWAY.IF YOU FEEL YOU NEED TO GET YOUR LIFEINSURANCE POLICY UP TO DATE MAYBE THE LIGHT POLE IS NOT WORTH IT.
THE WORST I HAVE TO DEAL WITH HERE IN WIS. IS A FARMER.
GOODLUCK.
TOMD

TOMD
#57069 Sun Jan 29 2006 12:06 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
YES - here is the Thompson Auto that I have. I would sell it for a grand off site would consider trade.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7222791&aa=%20Auto%20Ordinance%20Corp.%20%201927%20Thompson%20Auto%20Ordinance%20A3%20Semi-Auto%20Carbine

1927 Thompson Auto Ordinance A3 Semi-Auto Carbine. Limited Edition less then 2000 of these made. This is a 1970's model. They will make NO MORE! This is NOT the KAR arms; this is the original "Bonny and Clyde" AUTO ORDIANCE gun!!! The last one of these I saw on an auction site sold for around $1,700.00. There is one listed on GunsAmerica for $1,400.00 right now. There is another just like this in a gun store called "Sports Mart" in Lyndon Kansas for $1,400.00 as well. This on has only been shot about 500 times since it was bought new. It has spent most of its life in a climate controlled gun safe being taken out once a month and oiled down with the rest of my collection. This gun works GREAT, never jams and looks like NEW. It was cleaned and detailed after each time it was shot. I have 2 30 round clips for this and you can buy more at any gun show, one of the clips has never been used, as a matter of fact I do not think it has ever been in the gun. This is the 22 cal long rifle version of the Tommy gun. As you can see in the second to last picture it was made so you can field strip it and put a 45 cal Tommy gun barrel on it and a 45 clip and shoot 45's. The springs are tight and just like new because when storing a collector gun I always remove the springs and put them in a bag attached to the gun. I will ship the gun assembled with the springs in it. Everything in picture #1 will be included. You can buy 22 cal drum clips for this on the internet, or at almost any gun show. It is a specialized 22 cal drum that is for a ppg - they cost about $150.00. The last picture is the top of the trigger mec so you can see how little it was used. Everything is like new; the wood is in GREAT condition. The gun has the original shoulder sling. Payment by cash/money order or certified bank checks only. The gun will be shipped to your FFL holder via UPS. I will need a copy of your dealers FFL signed in blue ink in order to ship it. All you have to do is ask a gun shop in your area if they will accept it for you when I ship it, they will give you the FFL copy signed, then you send it to me with the check for the gun - the gun will be shipped the same day the check clears your bank. Shipping is only $40.00 via UPS.com. If you live in KANSAS you can pick it up or inspect the gun in person, just call me to arrange a time. If you have any questions you can call me at 785-554-8238 - thanks!

Thanks

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

#57070 Sun Jan 29 2006 02:45 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
go in the morning, around 9. any one who would give you problems is fast asleep at this time and wont be awakening until at least 4PM,

#57071 Sun Jan 29 2006 10:11 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
If you have the address, you can call the local library and ask if they have a "Criss-Cross" directory...if so, tell them the address and they can give you the current number if there is one.

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
#57072 Sun Jan 29 2006 10:21 AM
M
Mac Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Dean,

I live in Illinois, but had ended up stopping in East St Louis while on business. I stopped into a gas station to get gas and a pop. I am 6' and 150 lbs and I was even wearing a suit. I definitely stuck out like a sore thumb. I didn't have any problems. I'd bring a friend with you. Have your friend stay in the truck with a cell phone in hand and knock on the door. Make them an offer and if they accept, load that thing up, pay them, and drive away. I doubt you'll have any problems. If you don't want to do it, give me the address and I'll go get it. I don't think you'll have any problems.

Mac

#57073 Sun Jan 29 2006 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dean,

I've never had a problem so far with approaching people about things, even in rough areas. I'm from a town with a pretty bad West Side (Shreveport, LA) and I've knocked on many a door to ask if old cars are for sale. There are places I would never go alone, or at night. But, during the day, with a friend, you'll be fine. Just be aware, and look aware, of your surroundings.

Calling the tax assessor's office (if you have the address) is a good idea - you'll get the owner's name and phone. Here in Terre Haute, you can even look that stuff up online on the Tax Assessor's website.

Wes

[This message has been edited by thermactor (edited 01-29-2006).]

#57074 Sun Jan 29 2006 11:04 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I would be a bit careful about whether it is thiers to sell, ie- belongs to the landlord not the tenant.

That and whether there is live wiring, and if you get it, blocking off the hole left behind..

#57075 Sun Jan 29 2006 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
DoDo has a GREAT point there - never thought about the landlord bit. I ran into that with a Model T once - but was lucky I was just down the road talking to the real owner. I still think you should be able to call the County Apprisers office and get the REAL owners name and number.

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

#57076 Mon Jan 30 2006 12:37 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I dont ask alot of questions about the life stories,if you want it then just go ask and either buy it or leave it for someone else,especially now.There is probably more white guys in east St Louis now than there has ever been,all looking for a light pole.Good excuse to stop by PTs and look at the signs,LOL!

------------------

#57077 Mon Jan 30 2006 01:16 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks for the advise guys. Maybe I'll give it a shot I'm headed that way Thursday (Groundhogs Day if that means anything) We'll see if I can get the courage up. Hopefull $50 bucks will be enough and I'll have my tools in hand. I doubt the land lord would even miss this ol thing. About the wires I guess I'll just Cap them off and put some electrical tape on the caps and be done with it as quickly as possible.

#57078 Wed Feb 01 2006 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...whatever you do, DON'T tell anyone you receive money from a trust fund...it doesn't go over too well, no matter what the neighborhood...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved