Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Wes Hague #575306 Sun Oct 19 2014 07:23 AM
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
If you are the expert why would you be so unsure, ask me why....and remove the original picture?

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Please don't ask

Sellers may not request payment for the sale of an item to be paid through Paypal as a gift.
All Items Offered in This Category Must Have Prices.
72 hour bumping rule now being enforced. Please read the For Sale Guidelines.

Please read and follow all the For Sale Petroliana Guidelines and Non-Petro For Sale forum Guidelines
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Strange thing to me is the Salt Creek Marine seems too specialized. Otherwise Looks good to me but I can't see as Good as the old days! Jim

West Coast signs, globes and quarts
Wes Hague #575330 Sun Oct 19 2014 09:48 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
here is a Evinrude sign recently sold on ebay measures 13+6 inches

ev.jpg ev1.jpg
Last edited by richlube; Sun Oct 19 2014 09:50 AM.
richlube #575341 Sun Oct 19 2014 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Here is a fake porcelain thermometer I bought from ebay 2 years ago from same group of sellers. It would fool 99% of the target audience.

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
richlube #575342 Sun Oct 19 2014 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I believe that wes hagues evinrude sign and the one that is pictured from ebay are 100% fakes.

these signs were made in texas and distributed mainly through ebay. ive heard the name dave justice linked to these signs. seller accounts change rapidly and usually don't aquire too many feedbacks until they open up another account. seller locations are Midwest, out west, USA and a few other vague locations. the return address on the packaging will be a PO box from las vegas. I have been burned twice by these forgers.

the evinrude script has been transported from another sign where the other sign wanted the font to have depth and distance, like the cardboard sign in the picture....or a photo was taken of another sign where the photographer was not standing directly perpendicular to the sign. the evinrude script font was then stretched and fitted into the space allotted on the signs in question. this gives the screwed up font.

the chip are struck with an energized electrode or welding tip to give the illusion of heavy scaling or depth in the chips. wes, if you look closely at the chips you find small boogers on the bare metal.

after cleaning the sign the chipped area was easy to return to fresh new steel.....not easily done on a sign that has been in the whether for 50 years.

the evinrude sign from ebay isn't even squared up with the design. the distance between the edge of the sign and the top of the letters is not consistant.

same goofy corrosion on both signs.......on all their signs, couple days old at best.

I believe a lot of the smaller signs, thermometers, plate toppers and flange signs are made from cannibilizing junk signs. I had one of their porcelain flange signs in my hand. the guage of metal used for the sign was too light for a porcelain flange sign. the porcelain larro feed flange sign on ebay right now is a fake. and the seller id....just as I stated has minimal feedback and will go away in a month or so.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-General-Mill...=item3cea6be410

if kieth siegel (57tbird) or mark elmore (gulfiend) are talking about fake signs and you are lucky enough to be within ears distance.....I would take notes and listen up. the years spent in the hobby, the amount of money you spend at auctions, or the number of signs you have on your wall is not a substitute for the passion and knowledge these guys give to the hobby.

Last edited by thermoman; Sun Oct 19 2014 11:05 AM.

THERMOMAN #575367 Sun Oct 19 2014 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: thermoman
I believe that wes hagues evinrude sign and the one that is pictured from ebay are 100% fakes.

if kieth siegel (57tbird) or mark elmore (gulfiend) are talking about fake signs and you are lucky enough to be within ears distance.....I would take notes and listen up. the years spent in the hobby, the amount of money you spend at auctions, or the number of signs you have on your wall is not a substitute for the passion and knowledge these guys give to the hobby.

Passion and Knowledge, now there's something every picker needs to wrap their heads around.

Not Wes's first time selling a fake or defending a fake sign.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=422915&page=1

Everyone and anyone of us can make a mistake. The collector's; simply learn the lesson and then try to help others.

While greedy pickers...risk their reputations by denying the oblivious...and still hoping/wanting to pass on the fake sign. Be open minded and listen to the knowledge being shared...then accept the truth and destroy or mark the sign. You can defend that fake sign all you like...it ain't going to change what the rest of us know.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
W
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
W
"Daves Garage in BC" what you know ain't worth knowing...Your a Rookie so how could you possible know anything.. I've bought and sold more stuff in the last year than you have likely seen since you started collecting if thats what you call it. Anything I've seen of yours is third rate junk to me. Go back on the porch as you aren't good enough or smart enough to run with the big dogs. I appreciate what Thermoman and 57Tbird are telling me,, for them to make a post of " It's a fake" and "I agree " isn't good enough for me without an explanation why they said that.

Wes.......
Wes Hague #575404 Sun Oct 19 2014 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
How pathetic to judge a fellow member of the hobby based on his time in service. Shouldn't you you judge him on how he has spent it. There are some extremely savvy people out there with less experience and time in the hobby than me. I lean on several collectors for guidance that have less time in. What a shame that you continue to go down this road.

Wes Hague #575405 Sun Oct 19 2014 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You have been busted at least twice for selling reproduction signs. That fact alone speaks volumes of your experience. That in itself is enough proof of how little you know.

Read your post...you have removed all doubt from anyone's mind of your absolute lack of class and smarts.

Last edited by Oldgas; Sun Oct 19 2014 05:57 PM. Reason: remove name calling

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
P
P
well said

THERMOMAN #575429 Sun Oct 19 2014 05:16 PM
W
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
W
Of all the hundreds of signs and items I have sold on OLDGAS alone in 7 years , I have two signs that are in question since 2007 and I'm the bad guy,, guys come here when someone is selling something, blurt out a couple of words of opinions,,( fake, repro, etc.) go away and say nothing more. Some of the guys on here have no idea what there talking about especially Dave's Garage, all he does is be a cheer leader for anyone with an opinion, right or wrong, because I question peoples opinions on what is a fake and what is not and I get accused of passing fake stuff for original. Did you ever think for a minute that I would NOT intentionally try selling a fake item on OLDGAS with all the repro POLICE on here, that maybe, JUST maybe, it's not intentional ? Some of you guys need to give your heads a shake.. I could see what Dan Matthews ( Morphy's Auction) meant in an earlier post re auctions on absentee bids.., accusations unfounded, I too am sick and tired of the ***** on here.

Last edited by Oldgas; Mon Oct 20 2014 10:56 AM. Reason: remove foul language, name calling
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump Globe auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved