Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Someone stole an enclosed trailer full of signs from my yard today.

Anyone in the Southeast be on the lookout for a huge load of signs, toys, pedal cars.

Signs to take note of
48" embossed Phillips 65 in rough condition
6ft Cities service
6ft Fina
36" Coca cola buttons painted as moonshine signs.

1950's Atomic Missle pedal car?
1950's aqua/white 55 chevy
Repop Firetruck pedal car.
Various condtions Coca cola and 7up coolers, toys and all types of smalls.

http://greenville.craigslist.org/atd/4752500338.html
http://columbia.craigslist.org/atd/4752548388.html
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/atd/4752529209.html

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Your doing a good job getting the word out with those craigslist postings. I hope it helps with the return of your stolen items.

I am helping with a situation like yours closer to home.
A neighbors garage was broken into this week. We have video footage of the vehicle used.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
thieves really should have more of a consequence than they do, might stop this kind of stuff, hope you get your stuff back

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Its even happening in rural farming areas as well . My brother in law has this k model rush ,I posted pic of a while back that has been on there century old dairy farm well over 60+ years and someone tried to pry the orginal fire cheif curved pump plate off it he told me. I hope you recover all your stuff . Terrible feeling when something like this happens.

image.jpg
Last edited by 47reo-travis; Sat Nov 08 2014 04:42 PM.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
C
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
C
Slap on the hands, and listen to their stories of woe and drug problems. When your stuff is taken it does not matter the stories people have as to why, it is just gone.
Good luck with it, and years ago a group of stuff was taken out of a trailer. Lucky for all about 6 months later some found by just getting the word out. People listen and look.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hope you get it back. I had a break in a few years ago before I had any petro in my new garage. They took all my welders, torches, tools and a race kart. Believe it or not the sheriffs dept recovered almost everything about three months later. I'm sure you've reported it but be sure the authorities have as much detail as you can give them. Some sheriff departments are better than others, hope you have a good one. It just sucks!

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Paul, will keep a look out in Eastern N.C. Good Luck Frank

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
I've done about all I can think of tonite. Keeping my prayers said for quick results!

Some of the bigger/unique items include:

Cities Service sign, Fina sign, Sunoco sign, Sieberling Tires sign, Atomic Missle pedal car, firetruck pedal car, hotrod pedal car, aqua/white 1955 chevy pedal car, pink jeep surrey, 36” plastic Coca Cola buttons, 36” Coca Cola Moonshine buttons marked as done by Keith Emory, 48” OK plastic sign rough cut, 48” GM plastic sign, 30” round Texaco plastic sign. Coca Cola cooler, 7up coolers, large selection of various small eclectic toys and advertising items stored in 7up and Pepsi picnic coolers.

Please let any of your local collectors and fellow auctioneers know about this theft! I have placed ads in Craigslist in the major cities around the region that has many pictures of the bigger items but there are so many that whoever stole this trailer will find most of the items very unique and only marketable to collectors.

If these thieves try to move them in the area I should know pretty quick, but if they try to move them in your areas hopefully the grapevine will nip their hopes in the bud!

Pray for my sanity!

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Darn theives, I hope you recover it quickly. I will keep my eye open around here for them, great idea with the craigslist ad.

Thanks, Phil
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I will keep an eye out if they come down this way.

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Paul , I am sick reading this post! I WILL keep and eye out, look at postings, etc and will get in touch with you should I see anything.
I'm wondering if you had insurance on the trailer and if that also covers the contents. Can you tell me the make and model and color of the trailer? That too might show up for sale someplace.
How about the license plate on the trailer?
Being fairly close by in Atlanta, you never know what might pop up.
So sorry this happened to you buddy!
Dave

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Paul, Sorry this happened. I'll keep a watch in this area.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Will check the area flea markets here tomorrow Will be praying for you that the thieves will be caught.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
What kind of trailer is it? Color? Size? Make?

Check out my finds at Mantiquities on Facebook!!!!

facebook.com/pages/Mantiquities/167580613447712
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Have you posted something on facebook? If not, I can help you out with that.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
That takes some real brass to steal a trailer in broad daylight. Either real brave or real stupid. Makes you question leaving anything outside nowadays. Hope the local police are helpful in finding your trailer and collection.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My greatest fear. I hope they get caught and you get your stuff back.

Last edited by JUNK KING; Sat Nov 08 2014 07:00 PM.

Seeking Knowledge and a Good Deal.
Always looking for neon signs and skins , Flying A ,& Wayne 60s.
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
I've posted in the following CL areas Upstate SC, Atlanta, Greensboro, Charlotte, Asheville NC, Columbia SC, Knoxville Tn.

I've posted in a couple local swap meet groups on FB and my own Pauls Picks page. But feel free to link to that or any of the CL ads.

The trailer is a white Pace 6x10' enclosed, a 1990's model. I had a spare mounted vertical to the front of the trailer, has a single swing wide door. Rear light bezels are heavy reinforced steel unlike original trailers that had the lights exposed but had been having lighting issues so was using a set of magnetic lights until I got the issue traced. The trailer has a fold back double tire jack like used on boat trailers. If they haven't scraped it off there is a green sticker on the right front from Charlotte Autofair and my name and number is written above it.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I put the link on a couple facebook pages for you Paul.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Paul,

We will keep an eye out on the West Coast also. You never know they might figure it would be safer to sell off stuff far away.

Hope you recover your stuff.

Rob

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yes stolen stuff seems to have long legs. One of the Utah boys had his ATV on the trailer stolen from a "secured" storage lot. It was found some months later in Tx. This is the 6th or so stolen item post I have seen on OG in the last 2 years and includes the Phillips 66 sign from Spokane. One can't be careful enough it seems. Paul I hope the authorities get the stuff back to you and that there will be some meaningful consequence for the actions of these criminals.

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Good news, have recovered about 90% of my signs. The thief still has much of the contents of the trailer and the trailer itself, but he is currently local in this area. The fellow who had the signs has been cooperating and I brought home several of the signs tonite. Will get the rest of the 90% tomorrow.

Hoping to recover the trailer, pedal cars and other contents within a day or two.

God is great and gracious!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
VERY GOOD TO HEAR!!

Good oil cans don't wait for people, people wait for them.
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
GOD IS FAITHFUL

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
God is patient and all knowing, thieves, not so much.

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Awesome News! This case should remind us all to take detailed photos of our collection. because with out a photo, you have no proof what so ever. That is what i am doing today!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's good news Paul. I hope you can recover the rest of your stuff!

I read about thefts like this every week on the racing, hot rod and tractor forums. A recent theft I read about was someone stole a 55 F100, removed the front fenders, ran the truck off a cliff into a tree and then burned it.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Stolen trailers are pretty common here in TN. It's not a must that you tag them. Without a title and tag I don't think police put much effort in to finding them. My son has lost three over the years, last one loaded with Hardy Board to the tune of 8 grand and some change.

Glad you know who has yours. Better get your hands on it because its for sale and its cheap!

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: carolinaskies
The thief still has much of the contents of the trailer and the trailer itself, but he is currently local in this area.

...so you know who the thief is?

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Thank you God!
This story began with the evil actions of someone. The support and offers of assistance from so many people and the good outcome is the REAL real story here!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just read this now, glad you got your signs back. Hope you get the rest of items and trailer back...soon.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
The guy gave a first name, but did give a valid phone number. The issue is whether he and his cohort(s) will return for money from the junk dealer.

I just got back from picking my stuff up that was left there and think we came up with a plan to catch the thieves trailer and rest of contents. Tell them someone bought most everything but paid with a check and it will take a few days to clear. But tell the thief too that the guy wants more like mentioned pedal cars and such. If he takes bait he might return with everything! Hope we can make this work! Keep on praying for further speedy recovery.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
glad to hear you got it back

Follow the Red Indian Trail
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Got another lead and confirmation on location of some pedal cars and bicycle. Guy is cooperating and gave location where some of these people are working out of.

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
You would think the police could come up with a billing address for the phone number?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good to hear you have gotten most of it back! That's pretty sad what some people will do....

Braden Splichal

G
G

I just got back from picking my stuff up that was left there and think we came up with a plan to catch the thieves trailer and rest of contents.

I hope you mean YOUR trailer and contents?

Ah,just realized there should be a comma between "thieves" and "trailer". Sorry.

Last edited by gjz30075; Mon Nov 10 2014 08:19 AM.

Greg Z
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Update.

Retrieved so far about 75% or so of what was stolen. Trailer, few pedal cars, custom Moonshine signs, and some smalls still missing. Latest location had good video, names, phone numbers.

What sucks is Police have tomorrow off for Vetrans Day so they won't be working it til Wednesday.

My best luck has been having more eyes watching Facebook for local bartering sites. 2 leads from there returned about 30%.

I would suggest if you use Facebook that you join any local bartering/swap sites on Facebook now. Most are closed groups so you'll never see the ads for merchandise unless you are a member or a friend happens to see the ads.

Quick work has paid off dividends so far for me... and God watching out for me of course!

smile

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Since when do the police have holidays off? Hope you get the rest of your stuff back. Sounds pretty positive.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Property Crimes division and other "non-essential" departments.... it use to be they didn't get it off, instead they would get a floating holiday.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Paul... just curious, did your trailer have a lock on the hitch receiver? If so, what type?

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
I only had a pass through lock through the hitch top. Probably gonna invest in the full tongue lock that covers the hitch.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
was there a gap in the pass through lock? allowing room for cutters?... curious to how the lock was removed.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
T
T
I am so sorry to here that. I will take a ride around the Florence area shops and see if I spot anything.

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Most of the trailer locks that are just pass through's tend to be longer because they are made to fit different sizes of hitches. I have considered a boot type wheel lock too.

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Paul, I use a similar tire lock. More like a Denver Boot. I have parked the trailer at some shady areas and with the wheel lock, along with the hitch cover, have had no trouble......hope I haven't jinxed myself? Paul www.severngaspumps.com

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
I like the idea that it also doubles as a chock... just have to remember to place it on the right downhill side.. smile

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

BTW - not sure if you're considering buying from that website, but Amazon has it for $27 cheaper.

Amazon - Trimax TCL65

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Just used the link... rest assured I'll find the cheaper price. RIght now I need another trailer if they don't recover the one stolen.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You cannot trust those locks I know a guy that had one and they just took the wheel off and put another one on it.

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Locks only work to keep honest people from taking your property. Crooks just get slowed down a little.

Good to hear you're recovering your property.

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Locks/padlocks keep your friends honest.

Originally Posted By: Terry Flannery
Locks/padlocks keep your friends honest.

If you need locks for your friends, they are not friends..LOL

Glad to hear you are getting your belongings back. You are one of the lucky ones.

Last edited by Ryan Underthun; Wed Nov 12 2014 10:44 AM.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Hope you get everything back.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Waiting on a sting to go down now. They said they will call. Looks like a fellow was duped into helping the real thieves and hopefully he'll be singing like a canary. Suppose to know where the trailer is from what I heard... so here it is my birthday and hopefully it will be one of the best in many years if that trailer and more stuff gets returned!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: texacokie
You cannot trust those locks I know a guy that had one and they just took the wheel off and put another one on it.

You need to use a locking lug nut in addition to the wheel lock. The key is to do enough things to make it take longer to steal the trailer and therefore deter a crook.

Last edited by JeffS; Wed Nov 12 2014 02:54 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Waiting on a sting to go down now. They said they will call. Looks like a fellow was duped into helping the real thieves and hopefully he'll be singing like a canary. Suppose to know where the trailer is from what I heard... so here it is my birthday and hopefully it will be one of the best in many years if that trailer and more stuff gets returned!

Happy Birthday and hopefully the sting goes as planned!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
good luck to you on your Birthday,maybe that`s a good sign for good things to come!!!!!!!
Alan

Big Al`s Garage
Always looking for::
Veedol-Tydol-Tidex-Cycol-Tycol.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Anyone seen Redford or Newman??? Best of luck

Sting.jpg

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Happy birthday Paul!!
Dave

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Originally Posted By: Dr Dave
Happy birthday Paul!!
Dave

TIMES 2

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Thanks for the B'day wishes.

No call yesterday so I'm guessing guy chickened out on the sting... frown

On the road today so crossing my finger the investigators will get the guys today.

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Craigslist ad with photos

Update as of tonite. I have the names of the thieves. They had a 3rd party duped into helping them and he gave up their info when he found out how deep the cesspool was he stepped in. They(investigators) feel like he knew nothing about the stuff being stolen.(I leave that to God and prosecutors.) He gave an address for the people but my trailer was not found there. frown

Nothing further has been recovered but since I put the name of the guy out on my FB page I got a lead to possible residence, but don't know if that's the same as above. Sadly Investigators won't be back to work on it until Monday, so unless I generate more info for some officer to check out I'll have to probably borrow a friends trailer for a few weeks.

The lesson I have learned so far is to be as proactive as possible and be your own investigator recognizing the police don't have the resources or necessarily hot iron keeping them on your case. The more leads you can develop the faster investigators will work and stay focussed on the case.

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Maybe even use a Dremel to engrave your trailer in some inconspicuous places for identification Paul. Take pictures of everything as it appears you already do.
I am happy that you have recovered at least some of your things.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My best thoughts and wishes are being sent your way, Paul. I hope you recover it all and it's all in the same shape as you last saw it!!

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
C
C
good luck Paul. I have my eyes open over in the Spartanburg area!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dr Dave
Maybe even use a Dremel to engrave your trailer in some inconspicuous places for identification Paul. Take pictures of everything as it appears you already do.
I am happy that you have recovered at least some of your things.
That is a really good idea. Hope you find it soon.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
I like the idea of marking the trailer. Too easy for criminals to drill out most trailer tags.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Install some type of gps tracking device on it. You can get something similar to the chip they put in a pet that will allow you to track the location of your trailor anywhere in the world from your cell phone. You can buy something very affordable and easily concealed that is as simple as hitting a couple buttons to use.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I looked into the gps tracking about a year ago. There are different kinds out there. You would need real time tracking, not the kind you download later from the unit (forget the name of that type). You need a gps tracker that transmits. I found there was a monthly fee involved. LoJack is cool but you need the cops to make it work. If you are willing to spend money on a monthly fee (I think it's like $10 a month) could work. They have a feature called geo-fencing too. If your item that is tracked moves out of a certain area you are notified, then you go on the Gps company website and see where it is. It uses cellular coverage to work, and the unit needs 12v source to work.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
OK, update time.

One of the thieves was caught last week. She passed out in a McDonalds and police were called. They found drugs on her and she was hauled in. Got a call for her bond hearing which ended up being 46K. 26K for the drugs and 20K for the Grand Larceny and Conspiracy charge for my stolen items.

The investigator wasn't told the night the girl got arrested and only found out when I left him a message. He checked her out of detention and proceeded to find my trailer plus a few more of the contents, but still not everything. She didn't want to give up her husband as he is "watching the kids" but I doubt she will bond out as I was the only person to show up at her bond hearing!

I got the trailer back this afternoon. The thieves had broken the trailer jack, removed the rear tail lights, painted the wheels, all in an attempt to disguise the trailer. I'll have some work to do to it, but at least I have it back.

The whereabouts of the rest of the missing items is an unknown, hopefully the husband will get nabbed and more info will be forthcoming. Also, it appears the fellow who was cooperating may know more, as some items were supposedly taken to the next county to sell... but don't know as of yet.

Anyway.... I'm hopeful that I'll have more returned before too long.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well the thing is Paul when all is said and done you'll be the expert for all of us on what to do to prevent this and how to handle all the BS if it happens! Glad you got the trailer back.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Good Job Paul!!

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
One thing for those of you with trailers. If you live in a populated area consider putting a keyed alarm on enclosed trailers that will activate a motion sensor alarm. If you live in a rural area consider some variation of the LoJac system that will locate your trailer's position. Place the unit securely inside your trailer or attached to a non-removable box on open trailers. Mark a trailer in both conspicuous and non-conspicuous places for identification.

Always document everything you buy photographically. Consider using alternative marking methods (UV visible paints etc) for high value items.

Some of these things I will be implementing on my trailer!

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Great to hear that all your persistence is paying off. Hope you find more of the stuff that is still missing.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for the update. Lately, everytime I read one of your posts. I found myself wondering if you had gotten your trailer back.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Good news. Passed out under the golden archs-thats funny.

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
It was on the news tonight two enclosed trailers stolen last night from small bakery. Had the lock system that ball goes in with locking u bolt over top. Said they didn't bust the lock just chained them up someway and drove away.

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Any covers/locks over the ball hitch only prevent the use of a standard ball. Those willing to steal often are also willing to attempt unsafe means of hitching. That's why chock-locking the wheels is a better idea.

Any method that is used is never a 100% deterrent, however if you can make it plainly apparent the trailer isn't going anywhere easy thieves (if time constrained) will leave the trailer alone. I would say that having a motion-sensor triggered surveillance with notification alarms to your computer and phone will help.

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Update. The last thief was caught today. Hopefully when the investigators talk to him I'll know where my remaining stuff is located.

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
If he does he will implicate himself in their theft.
I hope things continue to go your way!
Dave

Last edited by Dr Dave; Sat Dec 13 2014 04:59 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
awesome to hear you`ve made some headway in your case.hope you get most of your stuff back...Alan

Big Al`s Garage
Always looking for::
Veedol-Tydol-Tidex-Cycol-Tycol.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved